Mattress cover

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Following the 'accident' my husband had on Friday, having stripped the bed and removed the mattress protector, I put on one of the Kylie sheets. I'd bought them previously but hadn't used them as the need hadn't happened until now.
So, mattress cover now clean again do I need to put it back on the bed or should the new Kylie sheet be enough?

SandraKD

Nov 26, 2018
Following the 'accident' my husband had on Friday, having stripped the bed and removed the mattress protector, I put on one of the Kylie sheets. I'd bought them previously but hadn't used them as the need hadn't happened until now.
So, mattress cover now clean again do I need to put it back on the bed or should the new Kylie sheet be enough?
I would put the mattress cover back on and then the Kylie, but I would do that next time the bed needed a change, especially as you said the need hadn't happened until now. With both in place you will keep the mattress clean and protected.
Is such fun isn't it

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I agree.

The Kylie doesn`t cover the whole of the bed but the mattress cover does.

Better safe than sorry.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
The damage done by incontinence is expensive so get ahead of the game before it becomes a bigger problem. Always a waterproof mattress cover and always a kylie sheet with another one ready to replace it when you whip the wet one off.

If he wets the floor when he steps out of bed think about getting an electric carpet shampooer or protection for the carpet.

When wet beds became an issue here one of the carers gave me a pack of nappy type pads she had in her car. After that I bought them off the internet as they made such a difference. The incontinence clinic might supply them. At the next stage I used zip up the back pyjamas so he couldn’t remove the pads.

In short this is a gradually developing problem which needs constant change of tactics.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
When mum started wetting the bed I sent off for a waterproof mattress and it is wonderful, very comfy and easy to clean, she did not even notice the change and on top of that it was very reasonably priced.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
When wet beds became an issue here one of the carers gave me a pack of nappy type pads she had in her car. After that I bought them off the internet as they made such a difference.
Thanks. Wet beds aren't an issue yet, the problem at the moment is wet clothes and bathroom floor when he goes to the loo. He is in pull-ups which I get off the internet, but I think there's a problem with just general control of it.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I remember the wet clothes and wet floor with my dad. I managed the floor around the toilet situation by cutting a pet pad to shape and taping it around the toilet bowl then covering it with a normal pedestal mat so dad wouldn’t see it and rip it up. This helped to protect the carpet underneath (dad refused to have vinyl in the bathroom) although I still had to wash the pedestal mat everyday. I had 4 pedestal mats on the go to keep up!

The wet clothes were more difficult to deal with although I could usually get him to change if we were going out by pretending I thought he’d spilled something and “it looks like you’ve wet yourself”...

Avis

Nov 2, 2019
I use a mattress cover then put the fitted sheet over it. On top of that I put the kylie/connie with a cover I made myself, over that (It is a length of white lawn one meter wide). I have 3 sets of kylie and covers and that way I only have to change them each morning. Much easier than changing the whole bed. My husband uses pull ups but they leak over night. Hope this helps.