Drug Advice, Aggression, Hallucinations & Sectioning

Abbey82

Jun 12, 2018
Good Afternoon,

I've not posted in a little while, in fact since my Dad was sectioned for the first time around in June this year.
My Dad (aged 60 with FTD and Alz, diagnosed July 2018) is hyper sensitive to medication so has been on nothing except a little Lorazepam to help slow him down. In the past he has tried Memantine, Donepezil, Trazadone, Mirtazapine and Resperidone, all which have had very little positive effect, and any (severe) side effects going, my Dad has had!

We care for him at home, but he was sectioned on a section 2 in June and was in the facility for around 2 months before he managed to come home, he had a severe decline and the medication at the time (trazodone) started having a reverse affect. Eventually they managed to stabilise him with no medication and was released to come home which was August to last week. We've had a good couple of months, although we had to start using the Loraz prescription more as he's been slowing deteriorating again, hallucinations (physically and verbally), hyper active, passive aggression and he's now double incontinent. At the facility, he has to be physically restrained by 4 people to be cleaned and have his pads changed because the only place he will allow it is at home. He also sleeps very little.

The final straw was more severe aggression at home which resulted in him needing to the Sectioned on a Section 3 last week.He was admitted to the same facility again and they have been good both times, but we feel we are getting the end of possible drug solutions, although a fantastic consultant said there were still a number we could try.

We don't want to put Dad through more side effects and ups/downs, it's unlikely he will now be able to come home, we are slightly fortunate in that with him being on a section 3 we are eligible for continued funding, either at home or in a care/nursing home under the 117 Aftercare Services act.

I wondered if anyone else had been in the same situation drug wise ? We just need him to be kept calm as possible, there have been incidents with residents since he was sectioned and they are struggling to find an acceptable level of box Loraz, Diaz, so they are now also trying Cloneazapam to see if that helps better.

If we could find a benzodiazepine drug (which we know his body accepts) and in a suitable dose, I think it would be the best for Dad. Professionals are very scared to discuss sedation and the ethical boundaries, however what's happening to my Dad now is not ethically right, he's suffering and he needs to be slowed down and with the normal suite of drugs causing adverse reactions, we are now limited.

My Dad would give his last breath to anyone, he was so against any form of violence, and to see him become what he has, its just unreal.

Any thoughts, experiences, I would appreciate!

Thanks, Adele

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It really does seem to take a while find the best medication for some people with dementia. My husband couldn`t benefit from any of the the Alzheimer`s drugs yet I know from reading posts from others how invaluav]ble they have been.

If we could find a benzodiazepine drug (which we know his body accepts) and in a suitable dose, I think it would be the best for Dad. Professionals are very scared to discuss sedation and the ethical boundaries, however what's happening to my Dad now is not ethically right, he's suffering and he needs to be slowed down and with the normal suite of drugs causing adverse reactions, we are now limited.

This is as good an argument as any. Have you discussed this point with your dad`s doctors.

My husband was given antipsychotics as a last resort. The consultant was concerned they would affect his mobility, which I think they did, but at least he had some quality of life even though the drugs did not work miracles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba