Dad enjoying respite!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Dad has been in respite for a few days now.I popped yesterday to see him and watched him from the side.He was having a good old chat and a bit of a moan about his thickener.
He was delighted to see me and I sat down and had a cup of coffee with dad and a couple at the table.A couple of the residents came over as they remembered me and asked how I was (used to work there).
Dad then asked me to take him upstairs to his room. Myself and a carer went up in the lift with him as dad wanted to walk.
So I got dads gutter frame and walked with him in his room and showed the carer.(She couldn’t do it as dad hadn’t been assessed with it ).He has now been assessed and can walk with it in his room with 2carers.So he is pleased about that.
Dad and I had a good chat.
He is aware that his memory is failing.
He is enjoying it and even joining in the activities (They have activities up 5times a week) as they have a full time activity lady.He says he isn’t doing any (girls told me he is)but can remember that the activity lady wears a pink top.
I said to him “I didn’t think you wanted to go in a home?” I didn’t/don’t “ he replied “but sometimes you have to “he said.
He is enjoying his room but I have noticed he has declined more or maybe he had already declined and you notice it more in a home..He is having trouble with his left hand which is feeling cold and stiff and has begun to curl under a bit(stroke side). He is having a bath today as he needs to get weighed.
They are also checking dad overnight for repositioning as I don’t believe he can move.So if we have to have a best interest meeting I have proof.. It was a good day all round.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s such good news @TNJJ

I have noticed he has declined more or maybe he had already declined and you notice it more in a home..

Someone on DTP asked if my husband`s condition was deteriorating because he was in a home or was he in a home because his condition was deteriorating.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
It`s such good news @TNJJ

Someone on DTP asked if my husband`s condition was deteriorating because he was in a home or was he in a home because his condition was deteriorating.
I think it is a bit of both.Dad is getting the mental stimulation he doesn’t get at home but he had deteriorated at home last week.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I find painting extremely therapeutic & I'm a little jealous as I’d love to be able to redecorate/refresh the house. 2020 I’ve promised myself to blitz & refresh ! Early new year’s resolution!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I phoned the home today to see how he is.Apparently,he appears very relaxed and chilled.Dad and another client went into the back dining room today to have dinner together.Both have had strokes and are wheelchair users.But they both like vintage cars,so I can imagine that is what they talked about.

This afternoon the local nursery came over so dad watched them sing.I did laugh at that as dad never liked children :)
Yesterday they had someone singing old Elvis songs and songs from the 50’s.He would love that as he was a teddy boy..He is always downstairs joining in.
He has a better social life than me...
It will be interesting as we get nearer to Monday to see how he will react to going home.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I phoned the home today to see how he is.Apparently,he appears very relaxed and chilled.Dad and another client went into the back dining room today to have dinner together.Both have had strokes and are wheelchair users.But they both like vintage cars,so I can imagine that is what they talked about.

This afternoon the local nursery came over so dad watched them sing.I did laugh at that as dad never liked children :)
Yesterday they had someone singing old Elvis songs and songs from the 50’s.He would love that as he was a teddy boy..He is always downstairs joining in.
He has a better social life than me...
It will be interesting as we get nearer to Monday to see how he will react to going home.

Hope you have recharged yourself a bit, & the painting is going well!!

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
That is so good to hear. Do you think men settle more easily into homes than women as they may have greater expectations that people will do things for them?

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
That is so good to hear. Do you think men settle more easily into homes than women as they may have greater expectations that people will do things for them?
Although I have never thought about it ,you have a point.
Dad has never cooked in his life and he always has had people do things for him..So maybe so.. I know he likes to give “orders”.:rolleyes:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanpotts