Mum refused carers

Morg

Oct 21, 2018
mum was having carers twice a day for tablets and creaming and then two weeks ago moved to our home 2 hours from hers . I looked after all her needs for ten days and then arranged new care agency to take over so that I could return to supply teaching. The cost was going to be 800 to 900 a month - unfortunately possibly because of the gap without external carers she has refused to let them help her in any way and is threatening to return home where she was not eating at all. My question is if I now have to do all tablets washing creaming laundry cooking etc can I claim from mums account as the care agency would have. If not we are going to be financially “down” a large amount. I have heard of continuing health care which would be great if she accepted others help.
Bit stuck ?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Morg,

I had this trouble with dad before he went into the home. I didn't take money from dad's account when I was providing personal care but I do wonder whether you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to. Attendance Allowance, Carers Allowance, Council Tax reduction etc and also it could be that she is taking time to settle but you are taking on an awful lot. I think you may have to try the carers again and see how she gets on but she may need residential care at some point. Dad's care home charged £650 a week.

MaNaAk

Morg

Oct 21, 2018
Dear Morg,

I had this trouble with dad before he went into the home. I didn't take money from dad's account when I was providing personal care but I do wonder whether you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to. Attendance Allowance, Carers Allowance, Council Tax reduction etc and also it could be that she is taking time to settle but you are taking on an awful lot. I think you may have to try the carers again and see how she gets on but she may need residential care at some point. Dad's care home charged £650 a week.

MaNaAk
Thank you for your reply MaNaAk. Yes she has had higher AA for more than a year. I haven’t looked into carers allowance as I had read it affects AA. I will look into council tax reduction once I’m sure she’s staying although it would only be 50 less a month . Thank you again it’s so all consuming not even kelvin on strictly is a distraction !

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Carers allowance does not affect your mother's income. It is an allowance paid to an unpaid carer in exchange for at least 35 hours per week!!! If you look at the gov. Website it will summarize eligibility conditions and you can see if you might be entitled.