Brother is vendictive

Goldleaf88

Jul 30, 2018
I live and care for my aunt in her home and am her sole deputy. My brother and I do not get along. I have just received an order from COP saying he is applying to have me discharged as deputy on the grounds that I did not notify him of my application, which I did. In fact when he visited my aunt he would enquire how the application was doing. The COP said he was objecting on other grounds too. He refuses to speak to me and tell me why he has done this. I am now being asked to attend a conflict resolution hearing. I am loosing sleep, I am a single mum of a 13 y.o. daughter, looking after my aunt who is in the later stages and trying to work part-time too. - we all live together. I can not afford a solicitor. I notified all interested parties including him. I did not notify her sister who lives in New Zealand who she rarely speaks to though. He wants to be her deputy as well as a panel of deputies. This will make my life really difficult as we live with her and he will be in our lives. His actions are deliberately designed to cause me maximum problems. I feel hunted by him and now very vulnerable. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I'm sorry to hear this and I fully understand how much stress a troublesome brother can cause as I have one of my own.

Tell it as it is. You seem to be the logical person for the job. Make sure you take you accounts with you and explain how difficult it will make it for you to care for your aunt if your brother has control of the finances.

I suspect he's hoping for some financial gain.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
If you are the current deputy, just make sure that all your records of expenditure etc are up to date and accurate. prove you are doing the job well , and they will see there is no reason to change anything.

Goldleaf88

Jul 30, 2018
He is undiagnosed borderline personality disorder who resents me and my daughter. He sees my aunt's estate (large house in North London) and wants control. He has told me he will pursue me through the courts if he has too. He is extremely intelligent and manipulative....and has ruined my xmas!! Because this is all I think of now.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Goldie,

I feel for you. I have two invisibles but they are not like this. As the others have suggested keep all records and accounts. I wonder whether you should tell your doctor about to see if they can help in anyway.

Good luck and hugs

MaNaAk

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Please don’t worry, because your brother has shown the sudden interest, the authorities will see through him.
If your brother feels it’s really in her best interests to have another involved then ask for an independent advocate rather than someone who doesn’t do their share of the care package. As his concerns are about the welfare he shouldn’t object to that compromise. There are plenty of charities who help with advocacy in these situations.

By providing a compromise you find acceptable it should stop his manipulation of your emotions. If he doesn’t agree to that then the issue arises that he wants control of the situation & isn’t really interested in the best interests of the PWD

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
He is undiagnosed borderline personality disorder who resents me and my daughter. He sees my aunt's estate (large house in North London) and wants control. He has told me he will pursue me through the courts if he has too. He is extremely intelligent and manipulative....and has ruined my xmas!! Because this is all I think of now.
Let him if that is how he wants to waste his money...he would need to have proof and hard evidence. As others have said make sure all the accounts etc are in good order and try not to worry

sausagedog

Aug 22, 2019
I doubt he’ll be successful .....it’ll cost him a lot up front financially in any case - as others suggest, make sure all your financial records up to date & accounted for - good luck

Goldleaf88

Jul 30, 2018
Thank you All for your thoughts. Just reading the replies gives me hope. I know I've been a very diligent deputy for my aunt. He's a very bitter man.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResearchGal1