Howto get used to being on own now husband in care home

Nandi

Mar 20, 2018
Grimsby
So strange after being his carer now he is in home find myself visiting every day is this normal reaction.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
So strange after being his carer now he is in home find myself visiting every day is this normal reaction.

I think it is at first @Nandi. It`s hard to switch off and hand over totally to care staff. It`s a hole in your life which is impossible to fill even though it can reduce in size over time.

I visited daily at first and our son visited at the weekends. After a while, I honed it down to alternate days and actually managed a couple of short holidays too.

The time came when I visited and left the room for a short while, my husband greeted me as if I hadn`t been there 5 minutes earlier. I realised his concept of time had gone and he could only live in the moment.

Baggybreeks

Mar 22, 2017
Scotland
I visited my husband every day for 2 and a half years, apart from a few days breaks to visit my daughter who lives 400 miles away.
I'm glad I did, as I knew how precious these last times together were.
If you can cope, it's not only the person you are visiting. Other residents become part of your visits.
I helped my husband with his evening meal.... At 4.30pm!
The staff welcomed me and my help.
I would stay with him in his room, and talk to him , with the door locked so we would not be distracted and disturbed by residents popping in!
But I usually went in for the afternoon, took him out for a drive,when he could cope with the car. When he could no longer work out how to get in, and was unable to walk , I got an electric wheelchair to go out of the home with him, round the local area. There is a canal and a park where he enjoyed seeing ducks and children. For a while.
The time together is going to go . Make the most of it.
Hug if possible.
And tell him that you love him.
I would like to think my husband knew that I was there even when recognition was not showing.
Best wishes and a hug to you too. It is tough.