Race to the Pearly Gates

PandA4T

Aug 14, 2016
Oxfordshire
My wife and I are both in our eighties, she has advanced dementia, I cancer, so its a race to the Pearly Gates. For the last few years my wife was in the lead. I was mortified and had grave misgiving of being left behind. Then last year I leaped ahead, in fact was dead cert to win. Recently due to NHS intervention I am now dropping back. It would be great if like the Brownlee Brothers we crossed the line hand in hand. As an aside its stranger that the NHS will cremate bits of me for free, but it costs to get rid of the last bit. The good news is what ever happens we will not be apart for long. I hope we leave a smile in our wake.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You sound like a wonderful character @PandA4T and your positive attitude in the face of so much to contend with is admirable.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
My wife and I are both in our eighties, she has advanced dementia, I cancer, so its a race to the Pearly Gates. For the last few years my wife was in the lead. I was mortified and had grave misgiving of being left behind. Then last year I leaped ahead, in fact was dead cert to win. Recently due to NHS intervention I am now dropping back. It would be great if like the Brownlee Brothers we crossed the line hand in hand. As an aside its stranger that the NHS will cremate bits of me for free, but it costs to get rid of the last bit. The good news is what ever happens we will not be apart for long. I hope we leave a smile in our wake.

Both my mum and dad have dementia he’s in a care home she’s living with me and I pray every day they go together, or that neither waits long for the other. Good luck Sir! My prayers are with you, good night and god bless to you both xx

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
PandA4T, my hero and sweet, sweet man. You are brave and wise and clever and caring and I applaud and love your spirit.
I can say nothing to help but my heart swells for you.
A xxx

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019

your deep love for each other & sense of humour has made me smile my lovely. I wish for you peace & light, together holding hands forever. Take my love for you both & god speed. Xx

PandA4T

Aug 14, 2016
Oxfordshire
Thank you all for your kind words. Looking through this forum, we are the lucky ones. We have had a good life, its just the end isn't pleasant. I wish that both of us could be treated with the kindness and understanding that we treat our pets.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Thank you all for your kind words. Looking through this forum, we are the lucky ones. We have had a good life, its just the end isn't pleasant. I wish that both of us could be treated with the kindness and understanding that we treat our pets.

My dad died last week and my mum doesn’t even know, her dementia is so bad that she has completely forgotten the man she was devoted to for 59 years. You are so right in what you say that our pets are treated with more compassion. I hope my mums suffering and torment will end soon.

God bless you x

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
My dad died last week and my mum doesn’t even know, her dementia is so bad that she has completely forgotten the man she was devoted to for 59 years. You are so right in what you say that our pets are treated with more compassion. I hope my mums suffering and torment will end soon.

God bless you x
Sending love & ((((((hugs )))))))to you both