Abuse of a Vulnerable person

Lou40

Nov 15, 2019
Leicester
My Mother has Alzheimer’s and has been deemed to lack capacity by her GP. My Father had not put Power of Attorney in place therefore has had to go down the route of the Court of Protection. To cut a long story short my Mother was named as Executor in her mothers Will along with her sister, this being kept from us, we didn’t find out until they came harassing for a signature which wasn’t given. My Mothers sister took control and shut us all out, my Mother was put down as Executor with power reserved with nothing in writing, we found this out after probate was granted. We placed a caveat but was a day to late. We have instructed a solicitor to act on our behalf. There has been harassment by my Mothers family towards all of us. She refuses to tell us anything. There is a Codicil stating my Mothers inheritance is to go to my brother we can’t even find out at the moment if the Codicil is valid or not. The property was put up for sale and sold 5 weeks after my Grandmas death, this was done to add pressure on us to cooperate I’m sure. Our big concern is that my Mothers inheritance either won’t be paid or she won’t receive the correct amount as I can’t see her sister showing us any evidence of accounting. I wondered if this could be classed as abuse of a vulnerable adult and whether it could be reported as this. I know I am emotionally involved and this is one big mess but surely someone can’t get away with treating a vulnerable person this way.

Last edited:

Lou40

Nov 15, 2019
Leicester
Thankyou, we have a solicitor acting on our behalf. I will ask their advice. It’s just an awful situation to be in.