District Nursing and Alzheimer’s

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
My MIL has had several episodes where she needed regular dressings. Now she needs regular injections. The practice has told me they cannot arrange District Nurses as MIL is physically able to get to the surgery and besides it is “only 5 minutes “. I am incensed. I cannot always take her to appointments as my parents 84 and 87 with dementia and other health problems take up a lot of time as well. They seem to have no comprehension that to get her ready, out and back home is a lengthy process which will take up most of a morning or afternoon, especially when the practice nurse is running at least 30 minutes late. I stressed that although physically capable she is cognitively totally incompetent and this should mean she qualifies for home visits. Does anyone else have similar experiences and if so how did they get around it? is it the same in all of the uk?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I don't really have a similar experience but I think that you need to tell the surgery that your parents have dementia and that you cannot go through this pullava with your mil. At the least they should be offering you some advice!

MaNaAk

PS: Would anyone else on this forum be able to offer advice?

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Dad had an invite for a flu jab at his surgery a couple of weeks ago and I phoned them and said it was a bit awkward to get dad there. They said they would arrange for a nurse to come out in a couple of days. I then got a phone call to check for a convenient time, I said anytime was convenient.

Fifteen minutes later dad's doctor turned up (I had expected a nurse) gave him his flu jab, had a little chat with dad then a little chat with me.

I could get dad there but it would not be easy. Dad's doctor is really lovely and the surgery receptionists are pretty wonderful too.

I don't know if we are just lucky or if it is because dad has alzheimers and cancer, also he is rather frail and needs a wheelchair to go out.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
I did tell the practice nurse I was struggling with both MIL and parents but she was still unhelpful and very reluctant to refer to district nurses. I think it must be partly that surgery as I took my mum (same town, different surgery) for a dressing and the practice nurse there caught on very quickly without me specifically saying anything, that my mum has cognitive impairment, is very frail and does not go out alone. So, without me requesting it and without my mum being fully housebound as we take her out, the surgery arranged the DN for follow up dressings, what a relief.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
As suggested above it is essential to have your local surgery onside. Go directly to the GP if the practice nurse is unhelpful.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Contact the community nursing team directly- they will be able to help & advise.
Mine were & are invaluable in enabling Mum to access help- her GP practice not on the balk shall we say!

Flavelle

Jun 20, 2017
We had massive difficulties getting DNurse team onside. M was housebound for 2 years before we did a 3 generational move. Once we were all living together (including dementia and cancer ridden father too) she didn’t qualify for their help as we could pick here up and squash her in a vehicle. It was blatantly obvious leaving the other one on his own while she was taken in was a hazard. Poor staff in the surgery therefore dealt with me bringing both dotty, frail invalids in at times. Due to cutbacks the surgery lost its in-house DN team, so that was why. When M had the inevitable slip going back and forward in my car and gashed her leg open she was then eligible to see the DNs. When that finally healed we had to go back to the health centre again. Fast forward a year, by then she was catheterised and had further ailments diagnosed and I found myself expected to order the medical stuff..( oops, ordered the wrong leg bags!) . I then made critical comments about the lack of help from district nurses to the chief of the rehabilitation team who helped us get M settled back to home. Da na! Yep someone else who has more kudos than a carer was able to have some firm words and now we have a visiting DN! Mind you, that’s coz there are two who need wounds seen to & catheter stuff sorted. By now they keep a close eye on me & my mental health too!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
We had massive difficulties getting DNurse team onside. M was housebound for 2 years before we did a 3 generational move. Once we were all living together (including dementia and cancer ridden father too) she didn’t qualify for their help as we could pick here up and squash her in a vehicle. It was blatantly obvious leaving the other one on his own while she was taken in was a hazard. Poor staff in the surgery therefore dealt with me bringing both dotty, frail invalids in at times. Due to cutbacks the surgery lost its in-house DN team, so that was why. When M had the inevitable slip going back and forward in my car and gashed her leg open she was then eligible to see the DNs. When that finally healed we had to go back to the health centre again. Fast forward a year, by then she was catheterised and had further ailments diagnosed and I found myself expected to order the medical stuff..( oops, ordered the wrong leg bags!) . I then made critical comments about the lack of help from district nurses to the chief of the rehabilitation team who helped us get M settled back to home. Da na! Yep someone else who has more kudos than a carer was able to have some firm words and now we have a visiting DN! Mind you, that’s coz there are two who need wounds seen to & catheter stuff sorted. By now they keep a close eye on me & my mental health too!
That is so stressful!