Increase in dosage of medication

Kennyboy

Oct 31, 2019
hi all
We attended a hospital appointment with my sons Nan yesterday and the Doctor decide to increase the dose of the Donepezil from 5mg to 10mg, I’m just wondering what to expect have any of you noticed adverse side effects in your PWD after an increase in the dosage and if so what were they, I would be grateful for your reply’s so I know what I may have to face, many thanks.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
There's been quite a few threads here about Donepezil dosage, and some have had side effects and others haven't. When my Mum's dosage was increased to 10mg there were no side effects for the 4 years that she was on it. Here’s a link covering potential Donepezil side effects: https://www.healthline.com/health/donepezil-oral-tablet#side-effects

Side effects vary based on the individual so the best thing to do is to keep a close eye on your son's Nan and if you notice any changes let the GP know.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My dad was fine with donepezil, the only problem he had was taking it at night because all his other medications were morning. After a couple of weeks we changed the donepezil to mornings as well and then everything was fine. No side effects at all for dad.

Whether it works or not, I don't know but anything is worth a try.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
My mum has been on Donepezil for 5 years, there was no problem when it was increased from 5mg to 10mg.

Christy21

Oct 9, 2016
No problem here on 10mg Donepezil. My PWD also takes Mirtazapine at night for anxiety and not long ago started Memantine which I would recommend.
It’s claimed to treat anxiety and can positively affect brain cell connections.