So is this it...?

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
I'm wearing bronze earrings for your tummy mummy @DesperateofDevon , never heard that phrase but it's firmly in my memory bank, utterly charming and you are twice as lucky to have two wonderful mums.
xx

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I'm wearing bronze earrings for your tummy mummy @DesperateofDevon , never heard that phrase but it's firmly in my memory bank, utterly charming and you are twice as lucky to have two wonderful mums.
xx

Thank you
Your post brought tears & smiles today, I am so touched by the kindness.
Feeling loved.
my Mum was called Patricia- Florence & the machine have a poignant song Patricia which sums up my tummy mummy.

xx

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Arrrghhh!!!! apologies ..... Vent alert!!!

so Dads social worker has cancelled his care placement assessment tomorrow as she has the opportunity to go on a last minute course !!!!!!

I get an email!!

REALLY!!!

Meanwhile ..... no tilting chair in the home! Or replies to my emails !! So much for safeguarding!!! This system is a joke, the only people being safeguarded are the so called professionals!!!

We have waited over two weeks for this assessment- normally done within 48 hours apparently if safeguarding issues are raised!!

meanwhile Dad is given all food & drink in his profiling bed. So bless him if he wants company he is bent over double staring at his knees as the home do not have any provision for any seating needs! Despite the OT contacting the safeguarding team to raise this issue!

Documentation that the home should provide it has been sent to the care home!
Nothing!

Now poor Dad is bumped down the list again by the social worker ! So it will be a month since the safeguarding meeting before Dads care needs are assessed!

surely this isn’t acceptable!
Duty of care

This whole system is a joke!

silver'lantern

Apr 23, 2019
oh my days i can hear your frustrations and dismay in your words!
It is so unfair ...the whole system is wrong.......do they really think just doing the paperwork and lip service is acceptable!
So sorry for your poor Dad ..and you and your family having to go through this.
This 'care' home are paid to look after his best interest and make sure he is cared for!
what a joke......not funny!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
oh my days i can hear your frustrations and dismay in your words!
It is so unfair ...the whole system is wrong.......do they really think just doing the paperwork and lip service is acceptable!
So sorry for your poor Dad ..and you and your family having to go through this.
This 'care' home are paid to look after his best interest and make sure he is cared for!
what a joke......not funny!

To be honest I just don’t have the fight left in me anymore! I can’t bear to seeDad being dismissed by SW etc & postponements continually happening.

I am documenting & emailing all issues so have a paper trail!

The old saying goes if you give them enough rope they will hang themselves!

Can’t believe that the so called professionals think this is acceptable!

This whole safeguarding issue is a joke! Tick boxes & lip service.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
If we took out a loan & bought Dad this chair it would solve the issues. £2500 ! I just don’t have the money!

If I use Dads money he goes below the lowest threshold, & as he is council funded that makes its own problems.

if I use Mums money she drops below the threshold & Mum has said she won’t buy Dad the chair as it should be provided.

She’s right it should!

But meanwhile Das isolated in his room for meal times & refreshments. Or gazing at his knees bent double in the sitting room!

Hopefully I will have good sales for the test of the month & will be able to buy a second hand chair .

Can’t believe that the home don’t have any alternative seating arrangements - they are palliative care , end of life, dementia gold standard accredited Care Home with a CQC rating of outstanding!

I’d laugh if it wasn’t just so sad!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I have choices to make & im feeling selfish that I am putting myself first. I have the dreaded sore croaky throat, heavy chest that heralds my M.E kicking in & my immune system crashing!

So I’m wrapping up & knuckling down to getting as much work done as possible. I have little energy & am really struggling - anymore emotional distress & stress will just tip me over the edge & end up with me being in bed 24/7!!
I usually crash & burn as OH puts it after Christmas but this year I’m firing on burnt out reserves!

I need to put my own health first now! That means not being there for My parents as much. I feel I do so little as it is.
Guilt is a difficult issue;because whatever you do it isn’t ever going to be enough.

so I’m going to be selfish & put me first!

silver'lantern

Apr 23, 2019
its not selfish....its self-preservation we all have to do it to survive. Its a rough road we are traveling.
slow down not melt down is better for everyone. otherwise looking after you is added to the mix too
take care

ladysuisei

Nov 13, 2019
Paramedics day so as does the doctor who visited the home. Yet the home keep acting as if he’s fine..... it just doesn’t make sense. Dads TEP form has kicked in, he’s renal reading aren’t good, he’s been removed from all medication bar two so from 11 tablets to 2 & the pain patches have been increased & oromorph as required.... but the home seem incapable of being aware of when he is in pain.

No matter how many times the home are asked by medics to take notice of our observations the home just won’t do it! I was with Dad for hours yesterday & the day before & kept asking for his oromorph to be given but the home wouldn’t follow the every 4 hours & as required given with the prescription.

How can this be allowed they keep saying it isn’t required but Dad slumped forward his head on his knees almost because of his pain is unbearable to see. The ignorance & arrogance of certain staff members makes it impossible for others to do their jobs properly.

no wonder families give up it would’ve easier to just walk away & ignore it all - have a life myself & go on holiday like normal people do.......but instead I am daily battling to try & get the home to understand the health issues Dads had for decades & get the support & care he now requires.

I have been surprised at some end of life care situations I’ve seen at the home, the more challenging ones - but who am I to judge a snapshot of time. Yet others who are at end of life care & are immobile & vegatative are obviously easier to deal with & need less nursing.

The home told me on Sunday that CHC funding had been applied for, yet a SALT assessment criteria the home said wasn’t met. If you can’t swallow your food properly & cant express yourself what else can the criteria be.
Dads lost so much weight he is skeletal, when we are present he has issues & cant feed himself- it’s beyond just extra encouragement that the home say he requires & Protein shakes!
Even the Doctor said yesterday if he wants ice cream for every meal give him ice cream maybe try some jelly with it.

so the nightmare continues each day & it doesn’t seem to get easier. The unfairness & indignity of Dads situation is breaking my heart. It’s a very lonely path being an only child & not having the support from immediate family that you require that are all absent at this moment in time, busy with their own lives.

I am slightly jealous that they can walk away from this horrid situation, switch off from it.

I go back into the home each day & see Dad doubled over in pain & my heart brakes all over again. Why can the management overrule those who genuinely care & want to do a good job. The resident should always be the priority

ladysuisei

Nov 13, 2019
Hi there my lovely. My mother is at the same stage as your poor father. My situation is rather different, as mum is at home ( care packages etc ok) my father is her carer. Me and my sister support too. My problem is that my father is in denial as to how serious this is. He is not being particularly rational and it’s had a serious knock on affect to my own frail mental health ( I’ve got BPD at al ) I have a crisis appointment with my own cpn this afternoon, I just wanted to contibute to your heartbreaking post. I send you ❤️❤️ as I understand. This vile Alzheimer’s has destroyed our family and now my dad is pressurising me and my sister to agree to move into the house should something happen to him. This is an unbearable level of pressure- like you I am at breaking point. I am 55 and my mother was diagnosed 13 years ago. Both my sister and I have just lost the last 13 years, as we have been supporting my father from day 1 . We were never asked if we are ok despite the knowledge that neither me or sis are coping with the stress. My father has closed his mind to the fact that we are near the end. I am at breaking point and after I have been over with mum this morning, I intend speaking with my mental health support about a crisis plan for me. I feel like I need to escape and it’s horrible.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @ladysuisei and welcome to DTP
I’m sorry to read that caring for your Mum and supporting your Father has caused you such difficulties I hope your appointment with your CPN helps.
Now you have found the forum I hope you will continue to post for support it is a friendly forum

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Hi there my lovely. My mother is at the same stage as your poor father. My situation is rather different, as mum is at home ( care packages etc ok) my father is her carer. Me and my sister support too. My problem is that my father is in denial as to how serious this is. He is not being particularly rational and it’s had a serious knock on affect to my own frail mental health ( I’ve got BPD at al ) I have a crisis appointment with my own cpn this afternoon, I just wanted to contibute to your heartbreaking post. I send you ❤️❤️ as I understand. This vile Alzheimer’s has destroyed our family and now my dad is pressurising me and my sister to agree to move into the house should something happen to him. This is an unbearable level of pressure- like you I am at breaking point. I am 55 and my mother was diagnosed 13 years ago. Both my sister and I have just lost the last 13 years, as we have been supporting my father from day 1 . We were never asked if we are ok despite the knowledge that neither me or sis are coping with the stress. My father has closed his mind to the fact that we are near the end. I am at breaking point and after I have been over with mum this morning, I intend speaking with my mental health support about a crisis plan for me. I feel like I need to escape and it’s horrible.

I am so sorry that you are in this situation. I am lucky in having Dad in CH & mum a distance away with carers - & I really appreciate that when I read other carers posts.

it gets to a point where you don’t have a life - I can see that.
Please take care of you first & foremost.

My Mum said on Sunday “ you don’t really have a life do you?”

that insight made me think about what is it that makes us do what we do as carers.

I don’t have any answers but know now that self preservation has got to be a major part in my life now. I feel so unwell all the time & people keep telling me I look ill!!

I hope you find resolution-soon.

Take care & hijack away, it’s nice to have social interaction!
x

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I am so sorry that you are in this situation. I am lucky in having Dad in CH & mum a distance away with carers - & I really appreciate that when I read other carers posts.

it gets to a point where you don’t have a life - I can see that.
Please take care of you first & foremost.

My Mum said on Sunday “ you don’t really have a life do you?”

that insight made me think about what is it that makes us do what we do as carers.

I don’t have any answers but know now that self preservation has got to be a major part in my life now. I feel so unwell all the time & people keep telling me I look ill!!

I hope you find resolution-soon.

Take care & hijack away, it’s nice to have social interaction!
x
We all have to have self preservation or we go under.I think as an only child that is that seems to be at the four front!
@DesperateofDevon
Take some time out!
None of us can do this without recharging..

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I’m like a flat battery at the moment - but hoping to get my act together a bit more this weekend!
Work on Friday & Saturday! Eeeek ! Better pull finger out if I want stock to sell! xx

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
D883BCC6-F6C1-42B9-8DEE-45C325FFF740.jpeg
Vintage finds, upcycled items & local finds( including skip diving ) turned art & items for the home! Basically what other people throw away!!! Including rusty nails

Attachments

• B567BA7A-DC94-4D74-9E4E-3D59C9901787.jpeg
    B567BA7A-DC94-4D74-9E4E-3D59C9901787.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 470

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I know you said you were like a flat battery but hopefully the crafting is enjoyable and will help reenergise you. I certainly like your creation above so all the best with the selling weekend