Live in care

Tabitha24

Nov 7, 2019
Hello
I am new to this forum.
We are looking to have live in care for Mum rather than going into a care home. She is unable to care for herself - case for quite some time now - and in last few weeks the Alzheimers has got consideralby worse.
I am not sure what can and can not be shared with regard to discussing specific comapnies but I would be grateful for any feed back of experiences with live in care.
Many thanks

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Hope you get some feedback soon. I may also consider this at some point too, for my mum It's all a minefield I suppose but we can only try. Probably very expensive too.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Tabitha24, I am copying an extract from a Society Factsheet that gives contact details for domiciliary care - I hope it helps

Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC) 0800 377 7070 (advice line) info@firststopadvice.org.uk www.eac.org.uk www.housingcare.org
Elderly Accommodation Counsel is a national charity that aims to help older people make informed choices housing and care. They offer two services. The EAC Firststop advice line offers information and advice to people about housing and paying for care. The housingcare.org site enables people to search for care homes and for domiciliary care in their area.

Beyond that, I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Tabby,

Welcome to the forum. Do you have carers coming in at the moment? If so you could approach the company and ask what they charge for live-in care. You can also use more than one company. Also I know you do not want your mum to go into a home but you might want to consider the fact that some care homes are cheaper than live-in care. Dad was paying £650 a week to his care home.

MaNaAk

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
I think a care home is much safer for a vulnerable persom than a sole live in carer.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Hi @Tabitha24
I had carers at home for my mother for 18 months. They were not there full time as that was far too expensive. They were with her from 4-6 hours a day (£22 per hour weekdays, £24 weekends). I found the care agency by googling 'dementia care at home' and her location, they were very good. When she needed to be supervised 24/7 I moved her to a care home. It was considerably less expensive and gave her the company, help and reassurance she needed in a safe environment. She loves it there.

LRuderman

Nov 14, 2019
Dear Tabitha,

I too am new to this forum. My mother is turning 94 on Saturday. She has been hiding her dementia for years, but has required more and more assistance over time. She is in a Nursing Care Facility/Rehab program that is connected to her condominium (or flats as you say in England),for 21 days. We were hoping to have her move back to her senior independent living arrangement, by hiring home healthcare providers.

I was told that this is a challenge, because she has too much furniture in her place, and it is not conducive to having wheelchairs, as there is no room. We will have to rearrange her place and put some things into storage. We are in a quandary because I am told this is more complicated than we originally thought. We don’t think about things like, bathing, toilet visits, lifting, feeding, etc. May be too hard for one person to handle.

We are hoping that mom improves a little after the 21 days, so that she can at least become more ambulatory again with a walker. The doctor is uncertain whether she will be able to return to her previous level of functioning. It’s hard to prepare for drastic changes. My 94 year old mother was amazingly independent and able to bath and take care of herself. She only recently had to quick driving.

I wish you luck on your decision to have a home healthcare provider, we are toying with the same idea. We are going to look for someone with a lot of experience with elderly folks, and for someone who is really physically strong.

Hope that helps,
Lisa

Hello
I am new to this forum.
We are looking to have live in care for Mum rather than going into a care home. She is unable to care for herself - case for quite some time now - and in last few weeks the Alzheimers has got consideralby worse.
I am not sure what can and can not be shared with regard to discussing specific comapnies but I would be grateful for any feed back of experiences with live in care.
Many thanks

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I tried live in care for dad but found the promised dementia expertise and understanding lacking in the 2 carers and agencies we had. The second was terrible and the placement was terminated by me immediately as I felt she was not suited at all to live in care and dad was very vulnerable. I think there are good live in carers out there but no from my experience. Dad was in moderate stage but a night time pacer and the cost of having to have a night sitter so the live in carer could sleep...no more than 2 disturbances were allowed even if it was the case that dad didn't seek her out..for 5 nights 5 years ago was around £1400 and food etc had to be provided plus household bills still to be paid obviously. I had still to cover 2 hrs a day so carer could have a break.We were desperate to keep dad in his home but realised after our experience a care home with more expertise was the better option much as it broke my heart. I think a live in carer in an annex part of the family home or to support the family probably works well and easy to monitor what is going on.