Quick Care Home Personal Care Question

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
How many times a day is usual for carers to come change someone?

Dad was last changed at 11am. It's now 7pm. I told someone dad needed a change at 5pm - his sheet is soaked through as the protective sheet layer slipped.

I understand they need more than one person to help dad due to his "feistiness" but surely this is taking the **** (pun not intended)?

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Every 2 hours was the usual check in dad's NH unless it was obvious he had leaked from his pull ups or they could smell he had deposited something! Even with this good standard some staff were more 'on it' and proactive than others and I did sometimes have to refer dad to staff.

Your dad's experience is unacceptable I would say for his comfort, skin integrity and dignity.

Nigel_2172

Aug 8, 2017
Shropshire
With my wife, the standard has been three changes a day. When queried, I was told that this is because the standard prescription for incontinence pads is three per day. If more was needed, I would have to supply the extra pads. Happily, this regime is not strictly adhered to.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
...I would add dad wasn't changed every 2 hours but he was checked...he had 3 pull ups for every 24 hours issued but I know he used more some days...not too sure if the NH had an extra supply they bought but I was never asked to buy any extra

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019

Dad was last changed at 11am. It's now 7pm. I told someone dad needed a change at 5pm - his sheet is soaked through as the protective sheet layer slipped.

I understand they need more than one person to help dad due to his "feistiness" but surely this is taking the **** (pun not intended)?

That’s totally unacceptable
Poor you & your Dad.

it’s so difficult to have to keep raising these issues but that is unacceptable.

let us know how you get on
((((())hugs (((((((((()

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall

I take it in this time he has been moved??

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall

He should have checked/changed x2 by now..As your dad is not mobile he should be their priority as he has tissue viability issues

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Thank you @love.dad.but.. and @Nigel_2172 - it's 8pm and still nothing. I keep getting fobbed off because it's a shift change, but I was told that at 6pm, now it's 8pm they're using the same excuse.
Your dad should have been moved in all that time(I believe you said he was hoisted?)Otherwise he will be liable to pressure sores as all that time is not good for him

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
That’s totally unacceptable
Poor you & your Dad.

it’s so difficult to have to keep raising these issues but that is unacceptable.

let us know how you get on
((((())hugs (((((((((()

Thank you - he finally was changed at 8.30pm - 3 and a half hours after I requested a change for him! If I'd have known it would be that long I would have kicked up a bigger stink earlier, but it's that thing that you keep thinking oh, they must be coming any minute now. And I told 3 different people and they all said they'd send carers to change him so I kept being lulled into thinking it would happen. Urgh.

Thanks for listening xxx

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
@TNJJ he's not moved by carers other than during personal care and occasionally when he's slid down the bed too low and doesn't quite understand to shimmy himself back up. To be honest, he's only just lost the strength to stand in his legs very recently, and when in bed he can still move about by himself a fair bit. He goes on to his side (ish) at a 45 degree angle (so not completely to one side) and then back again himself when he wants to. He bends his knees and stretches them out by himself. The angle of his bed gets changed quite a lot - he's forever up and down up and down to eat and drink and watch telly and then a snooze. He's still quite mobile when in bed so I wonder if they did move him, he would just move back to however he wanted to be. Let me know if you think they shoud be doing more though, I'm so new to this and grateful for any advice!

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
@Alex54 - yes, i totally agree. i will today, just wanted to get a baseline of what to expect. I turned up this morning, dad had had his breakfast but there was cereal all over his top. Someone had taken the time to take his plate away but not clean him up. I'm livid. Took a photo. Waiting for the customer services manager to be in in half an hour and I'm going to make myself clear.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
@Alex54 - yes, i totally agree. i will today, just wanted to get a baseline of what to expect. I turned up this morning, dad had had his breakfast but there was cereal all over his top. Someone had taken the time to take his plate away but not clean him up. I'm livid. Took a photo. Waiting for the customer services manager to be in in half an hour and I'm going to make myself clear.
Sometimes some carers are thick..They should have tabards in the home.They go over the head and either tie or have buttons to close them behind.Request he has one on him whilst eating.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Is he at risk of choking?If he is the head of the bed should be up completely.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Sometimes some carers are thick..They should have tabards in the home.They go over the head and either tie or have buttons to close them behind.Request he has one on him whilst eating.

he has one but it had slipped off (or he'd tugged it off). i've just spoken to a few people and the doctor, finally. outrageously the doctor HAD prescribed a new course of medication but that was never filtered through to the nurse somehow.

AWFUL. I'm so cross I am in the loo with my laptop calming down as I don't want dad to see me upset.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
he has one but it had slipped off (or he'd tugged it off). i've just spoken to a few people and the doctor, finally. outrageously the doctor HAD prescribed a new course of medication but that was never filtered through to the nurse somehow.

AWFUL. I'm so cross I am in the loo with my laptop calming down as I don't want dad to see me upset.
Well that is good! Hopefully the medication will help

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Well that is good! Hopefully the medication will help
How they can stuff up things like medication is beyond me! There's no communication between staff here. The doc did say there was no quick fix, it'll take a few weeks for any medication to start to work so fingers crossed we can cope til then.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
How they can stuff up things like medication is beyond me! There's no communication between staff here. The doc did say there was no quick fix, it'll take a few weeks for any medication to start to work so fingers crossed we can cope til then.
Yeah it will do

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27