Empty nest syndrome is kicking in

CWR

Mar 17, 2019
I have lived with my mother all my life ( 61 years), and last week decided I could cope with looking after her no more, and agreed for her to go into a home.Altho' I am relieved that I don't have to be worrying about her all day, I do miss her. She used to ( still does, on good days) sing to herself, and thats what I miss most. I understand why my friend in London has his radio or cd player on so much. It feels strange; I should be enjoying the freedom from worry, but getting my head around the fact of her not being in the house is difficult. I know, it's a matter of time, but it's difficult in the interim. People say: you can relax now, yes but I'm not carefree. I still have to worry about getting enough clothes together for my visits and worrying how is she today. Disengaging from the carer role is not an easy thing.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I have lived with my mother all my life ( 61 years), and last week decided I could cope with looking after her no more, and agreed for her to go into a home.Altho' I am relieved that I don't have to be worrying about her all day, I do miss her. She used to ( still does, on good days) sing to herself, and thats what I miss most. I understand why my friend in London has his radio or cd player on so much. It feels strange; I should be enjoying the freedom from worry, but getting my head around the fact of her not being in the house is difficult. I know, it's a matter of time, but it's difficult in the interim. People say: you can relax now, yes but I'm not carefree. I still have to worry about getting enough clothes together for my visits and worrying how is she today. Disengaging from the carer role is not an easy thing.

I'm the same at the moment, especially at night. Very difficult even though in the end it was the right thing to do. I don't think I will be able to relax for sometime yet. Just as I begin to settle I go through the emotions again.

Lets hope things get better. I have the radio on just like you said, it does seem to work in replacing some of the noise from the past and useful as a distraction.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Empty nest syndrome, it’s a grieving process; truly.
Give yourself time & slowly you will come through the changes. It’s not only the empty nest but the fact that your PWD is now in care.
Big emotional upheaval
((( hugs)))

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResearchGal1