Care Homes question la funded

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
hi ive asked this question bit only got 1 reply
Just wondering if anyone got any more information ??
backstory :
Dad has £21000 in savings/current acount roughly its under the threshold but was told i cant choose for him to go into a private home they wont accept him no savings to pay so will have choose a local home which is only 4 in borough 2 of which are rated needs improvement and took him to look around last week in one didn't like the manager or home felt sick actually at the thought of it .question was of its come to a point when he has to go into care can i look at neighbouring boroughs and expect my local authority to help with funding is that allowed ?

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
You will have to ask your own LA. what their policy is. As our LA was paying towards The Banjoman’s residential care ( they took all but £30 of his income as his payment) I was offered the choice of three Care Homes locally. One needed improvement so I discarded that immediately , one we looked at , liked their ethos but the room was pokey and the food brought in from outside, which left us with the third. Thankfully that was the best of the three and while not perfect it was acceptable. What would have happened if I had refused all three I don’t know.
It might be that if your family are prepared to top up the funding to pay for a more expensive Care Home then you will have more choices.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
You will have to ask your own LA. what their policy is. As our LA was paying towards The Banjoman’s residential care ( they took all but £30 of his income as his payment) I was offered the choice of three Care Homes locally. One needed improvement so I discarded that immediately , one we looked at , liked their ethos but the room was pokey and the food brought in from outside, which left us with the third. Thankfully that was the best of the three and while not perfect it was acceptable. What would have happened if I had refused all three I don’t know.
It might be that if your family are prepared to top up the funding to pay for a more expensive Care Home then you will have more choices.
Whats tte average the local authority will pay ? Ive only got £6000 in savings and they wont let me use all my dads ! I feel i cant win