medicine

Julia_4

Nov 12, 2019
Hi
My mum is caring for her brother (79) who was recently diagnosed with vascular dementia. She shares caring with his partner (who doesn't live with him).
She lives nearby but cannot visit more than once a day.

He has diabetes and recently had eye surgery - he keeps forgetting to take his morning diabetes medication and frequently forgets eye drops that he is meant to take 4 times per day.... Any tips please on ways to remember to take meds when the carer isn't there?

Please bear in mind that his home isn't get dementia friendly - it is full of books and nic-nacks.... difficult to find anything!

thanks

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi @Julia_4 snd welcome to the forum.

I see that you mention ‘Carer’. Is this an agency Carer or a family member? If an agency is involved then I think it would be wise to ask for a re-assessment of needs. I would have hoped that Carer visits would coincide with the times the medication should be taken. I think professional carers can prompt but not give medication. It might also be wise to have the medication in a meds safe so that the Carer can find it easily.

It might also be useful to talk to the surgery about the possibility of support from a district nurse.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
They aren't involved... Should they be? It's all new to us.
You can contact the community nurses & request help, as can the GP. mum had a fall last week & the community nursing team & Home first ( agency) have been checking on Mum.

In my experience you have to push sometimes to get the help, but my motto is don’t ask don’t get or know!

good luck xx
Keep emailing gp, etc a good paper trail tends to mean action is taken sooner rather than later.
Xx

Julia_4

Nov 12, 2019
Hi @Julia_4 snd welcome to the forum.

I see that you mention ‘Carer’. Is this an agency Carer or a family member? If an agency is involved then I think it would be wise to ask for a re-assessment of needs. I would have hoped that Carer visits would coincide with the times the medication should be taken. I think professional carers can prompt but not give medication. It might also be wise to have the medication in a meds safe so that the Carer can find it easily.

It might also be useful to talk to the surgery about the possibility of support from a district nurse.
Thanks. Sorry, carer being either my mum or his partner.

Julia_4

Nov 12, 2019
You can contact the community nurses & request help, as can the GP. mum had a fall last week & the community nursing team & Home first ( agency) have been checking on Mum.

In my experience you have to push sometimes to get the help, but my motto is don’t ask don’t get or know!

good luck xx
Keep emailing gp, etc a good paper trail tends to mean action is taken sooner rather than later.
Xx
Thanks

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Thanks. Sorry, carer being either my mum or his partner.

Perhaps it’s time to consider getting an assessment done to see if carers can be put in place. An assessment of needs by Social Services would give some indication of what might be possible. I hope that this fact sheet is useful -

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/legal-financial/assessment-care-support-england

This link will help you see if there is any support available locally -

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet