First post - Mum in final stage

Dolor

Nov 7, 2019
Hi

This is my first post, and I wish that I had found this forum years ago.

Mum was first diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 2013 at the age of 75. At that time I was in England and my parents in Scotland. Dad, three years older, relied on Mum for cooking, cleaning and keeping him organised. He couldn’t cope and a year later Mum went into respite for a week and the day Mum was due to come home Dad phoned me to say he couldn’t have her back home. Cue social services being involved and Mum was found a spot in a small care home with good ratings within their home town. Dad has since been diagnosed with cancer although he’s responded to treatment well so far.
My husband and I made the decision to move up North two years ago to support Dad better as most leave was being used for emergency trips.
Mum’s deterioration was slow at first but two years ago she simply forgot how to walk and has been bedridden since. I have immense respect for her carers in that her skin has remained intact over that period of time.

A few weeks ago I was contacted as Mum had been sick, and that the Doctor had been called; they couldn’t get hold of Dad. A few minutes later we were called again to get there ASAP as Mum wasn’t expected to pull through and just in case drugs were being collected from
the pharmacy. We arrived to find that Mum had picked up and was looking much better. However, Mum didn’t bounce back; she started sleeping for the majority of the time and after a few days she started being sick after meals again. Two days ago she stopped swallowing and has been without food or drink since. She’s had morphine injections for pain as she was showing signs of distress and restlessness at times.

My husband has kindly shared his cold/flu bug with me that he’s had for the last week and the last time I visited Mum was Tuesday night. I’m terrified to give the bug to any of the other residents or my father; despite the care home saying it’s okay I feel too guilty to visit and also guilty that I haven’t been there to see Mum today (although I feel lousy). Dad took his mobile so I could at least see Mum and talk to her today but I feel I should be there. I’m an only child, and Mum was really my best friend growing up; we used to pretend we were sisters. Mum is extremely frail, just skin and bone, so no idea how long she can continue with no sustenance.

Feeling emotional, guilty and helpless tonight, which is not usual for me. Apologies for the long post.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good morning and welcome to the forum.

I’m so sorry to read of your situation. I’m glad you found DTP and I hope it helps, even a little, to share your feelings here.

Wishing you all strength and wishing your mum peace.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Hi @Dolor welcome to the forum & I’m sorry that you find yourself here but unfortunately plenty of us have been in the same position as you are in now. I too was my mum’s only child & she tried to do her best taking care of me in life & after her death too ( to varying degrees!)
It is difficult to know if the end is indeed near as people do bounce back at times even at this stage but the best thing to do is to ask the opinion of the dr & the carers what they think.
My mum had plenty of things wrong with her when she was admitted to hospital. She had eaten a meal fine & then started being sick & was admitted to hospital. Something had gone wrong with her bowel. She also developed aspiration pneumonia & ended up on end of life meds. She could no longer eat or drink - only tiny bits if that.
It’s horrible but the body is shutting down at that stage. I would go in to see her. Wrap up warm & look after yourself. I presume she is in her own room? These bugs are yuck, I’m still trying to get over mine that I’ve had for a number of weeks now. Wishing you & your mum peace x

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Good Morning @Dolor, my heart goes out to you and your poor Mum, a very sad journey. It is really difficult to know how long it will go on, although as @Kikki21 suggested the carers and GP will have a better idea, As long as there is appropriate pain management and dignified care that is all you can hope for. I personally found it extremely challenging to witness but forced my self to attend, but always held in my thoughts that the last thing to go is the hearing, so I would sit with Mum up to the end and talk to her about past memories and things that we have been through. I wish you all the best.

Dolor

Nov 7, 2019
Thank you all.

I do know roughly what to expect having witnessed many of mine and my husband’s family members pass. It feels different this time though as it’s my beloved Mum and we’ve been so close. I’ve seen good and distressing passings and fear this will be the latter. After all Mum’s been through, she deserves better.

Mum does have her own room. I’ve been in close contact with the care home today. Mum hasn’t needed the breakthrough morphine administered by the district nurse since Tuesday night when she was showing signs of distress when being attended to by the care team. As a result she’s been less sleepy and a little more vocal. No food or drink as it’s deemed a choking hazard now but she’s receiving oral care to keep her mouth moist and comfortable. Dad has been with her today, and I FaceTimed him; could hear Mum (and got a good view of her pillow and one eye; Dad trying his best to master his phone). If there’s any change Mum’s lead carer will phone today, otherwise I’m hoping to go back to visiting tomorrow.

Last edited:

lis66

Aug 7, 2015
Sending (((( hugs)))) I feel for you I really do I'm on this emotional journey with my mum ,six years now and I am an only child aswell it's so hard as we were very close aswell I miss my old mum take care thinking of you xxx

Dolor

Nov 7, 2019
Spent the day with Mum today, together with my husband and Dad. Mum’s still with us at the moment, and it’s been a calm and peaceful day. Reminiscing over lots of happy memories tonight.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
All you can do is be there with your Mum & hold her hand, etc. I cuddle up on the bed with Dad - I love that time together & he rests his head against mine.
I’m so glad that you have a lovely care home to support you on this part of your Mums journey.
Love & ((hugs))

Dolor

Nov 7, 2019
Mum passed last night. She’s finally at peace, and no longer suffering. My thoughts are with all others going through the end of the same journey.