CHC /Discharge from hospital

Ohso

Jan 4, 2018
My mum is about to be discharged from hospital following a chest infection. An initial assessment gave her enough 'score' to be deemed suitable for full CHC and im told meeting will be held within 28days
Im unsure exactly what this means but am confident it will be awarded due to mums condition. On discharge care package will be 2 carers 4 times a day funded for 6 weeks.
I have asked if the CHC can be fast tracked but that was only tonight so no response to my request yet.
So my question, is CHC to continue the care package at the proposed level ( 2 carers 4 x a day) or is this something else?
Is it an amount of money to be used for care as needed ( mum has private carers just now and l would like to keep them if possible, am l compelled to accept agency carers for the initial 6 weeks funded care and afterwards using CHC funding?
Would CHC pay for overnight care?
Many thanks in advance x

Last edited:

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
CHC funding is usually to pay for nurses, a medical need that requires qualified nursing care, rather than carers.

Are you sure its CHC you have been awarded? 6 weeks of carers following hosp discharge is not unusual, but isn't CHC funded ( although its funded)

After that, you are normally assessed

Fast track is usually for someone terminally ill

Ohso

Jan 4, 2018
6 weeks after discharge care is being given and called 'enablement'. After that was planned l then asked for CHC assessment. That was done today on the ward by someone from the hospital with input from nurses and mums notes and then a call to me to explain results and see if l agreed end result was that mum has enough A's and B's for it to be put forward (to be a accepted or rejected following formal meeting within 28 days) I have since asked about possibility of it being fast tracked as conversation this afteroon with consultant confirmed that mum is now considered end of life and palliative and end of life team have been notified.. consultant mentioned 'Just in case' pack and that mum would be better off remaining at home if another chest infection occured, and we discussed possibility of declining antibiotics if l felt it was in mums best interests so l guess mum is approaching what might be terminal stage of dementia.
I tried looking for specifics of CHC but mostly found references to care /nursing homes rather than staying at home and it being granted so any information or experiences welcone x

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
It sounds like the initial CHC checklist has been completed and based on the scores a full assessment of CHC eligibility is going to take place. This is supposed to take place within 28 days of the checklist being completed but does not necessarily mean that there is CHC eligibility as it can be very difficult to obtain this. Your Mum may qualify for Funded Nursing Care (FNC) but this will only be paid if she is in a nursing care.

If CHC is awarded it can be used to pay for care in various settings, including at home, and a care plan will be produced specifying the level of care required. The CHC National Framework is worth a read as it fully explains the process, including eligibility for the process to be fast tracked if the person has a rapidly deteriorating/terminal condition (it is quite a lengthy document):

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...inuing-healthcare-and-nhs-funded-nursing-care

The NHS can pay for up to 6 weeks free care as part of a reablement package, which is intended to get people back to normal and remain independent after a hospital stay. If this is hwat your Mum is getting you should be given details of what will be provided within the reablement package :

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/care-after-a-hospital-stay/care-after-illness-or-hospital-discharge-reablement/

Ohso

Jan 4, 2018
Thank you. I know from reading posts here that CHC is incredibly hard to get but the person completing the checklist seemed to imply it would get through due to mums rapid decline and ongoing needs.
The link was great so looks like if granted l can apply for direct payments and source carers of my own choice which is what l would like to do.
For now l am just looking forwards to getting mum back home again, which is where she wants to be.
For months l have been on a steep learning curve and taking all the information in and feeling l was accepting of every new stage and all that went with it, l even prepared myself for the worst when she was admitted but suddenly yesterday when discharge became a real possibility but at the same time having a conversation with the consultant about end of life care it suddenly hit me that lm not ready, and hope l have at least a few more weeks with her.
Thank goodness for this forum and everyones generosity of spirit and sharing of experiences, without you all l would have been lost x

Moose1966

Feb 10, 2017
Staffordshire
Thank you. I know from reading posts here that CHC is incredibly hard to get but the person completing the checklist seemed to imply it would get through due to mums rapid decline and ongoing needs.
The link was great so looks like if granted l can apply for direct payments and source carers of my own choice which is what l would like to do.
For now l am just looking forwards to getting mum back home again, which is where she wants to be.
For months l have been on a steep learning curve and taking all the information in and feeling l was accepting of every new stage and all that went with it, l even prepared myself for the worst when she was admitted but suddenly yesterday when discharge became a real possibility but at the same time having a conversation with the consultant about end of life care it suddenly hit me that lm not ready, and hope l have at least a few more weeks with her.
Thank goodness for this forum and everyones generosity of spirit and sharing of experiences, without you all l would have been lost x
My mum was in a CH and palliative nurses decided she was very poorly and applied for CHC fast track this was granted with in 48 hours , I then luckily found her a NH with a bedroom that could take her ( it is amazing I was so lucky ) she moved within the week unsure if she’ survive the journey . All settled with full CHC funding then 3 months on review which was an awful experience 5 hours of questions etc , mum hadn’t improved at all the only change was she was still alive and yet they withdrew funding and tried to get me to move her again to a cheaper home . I stood my ground and they finally agreed she could stay with FNC contribution from the NHS . If you get CHC it’s hard but it seems when someone’s dying they like to take it off you . The system is seriously wrong . Good luck with your application and stand your ground .

Lirene

Sep 15, 2019
I totally agree, the whole CHC system is not fit for purpose. I have written to my MP regarding the CHC on behalf of my husband.