Six months in - thoughts on mum being in a care home

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Mum has been in her care home for six months today, something that has set me thinking about the whole process of getting her there and supporting her in her new life, so I thought I'd write down my musings on the topic.
First of all, did I do the right thing? My husband is of the opinion I should have waited until there was a crisis and mum ended up in hospital, sectioned or similar. Fortunately none of the rest of her family or friends think that and think I did the best thing by moving her. She was becoming more unsafe at home, going down the pub to drink with random strangers and convinced the neighbours were living in her flat and stealing her things. She could just about manage day to day care, though she wasn't eating very much and I think she was beginning to find showering (shower over the bath) more tricky. I was two trains and a bus away so couldn't get there quickly in an emergency and there were beginning to be more of those, or at least things mum 'thought' were an emergency. However much I think the move into care was the correct thing I do feel the way I did it, just taking her to the home and leaving her there was not helpful either to her or the staff who had to deal with her very difficult behaviour the first few weeks. It is difficult to see, given mum's antipathy to the idea of a care home what I could have done better. Maybe taking her to visit a few so I could gauge which one she liked the best. She was refusing all help at home, and I know she would never have voluntarily agreed to move to one.
Secondly did I chose the right place? I looked at four in the couple of years up mum's move, three where I live and one near her old place. The one near her wasn't suitable for a mobile person with dementia, and thought they suggested I visited their dedicated dementia home, there wasn't much point as it was more difficult for me to get to. The three near me were all purpose built and two were only two or three years old. One provided residents with their flat into which they brought their own furniture. This also had a dementia wing that I didn't see. It was the most expensive, and though might have done for mum when I visited, by the time I needed to move her she would have needed more care. The older one seemed OK as far a facilities and food went, but the rooms were small, and someone had obviously just died in the one they showed me. The one I chose has a good atmosphere, large pleasant rooms and lots going on. It also had a coffee area, hair saloon and a 'cinema' room. Though these are frills for a lot of people, they were the sort of things I thought mum would appreciate, and I hoped would make her think the place was 'posh' as she is a bit of a snob. The main thing that has riled her is that as she is on the dementia floor she can't come and go as she pleases, something that still annoys her. However she has no concept of where she is and if allowed out would get lost immediately. Again my husband is not keen on this aspect of the place, but I can't see a way round it, and they do ensure she is taken to other floors for activities etc. My husband and I intend to move 100 odd miles away sometime in the next year or so, and then we'll probably move mum somewhere nearer. When I'm looking for places I'll look at layout in particular.
As for mum herself. she has declined a lot in the last six months, and at a faster rate than she did in the previous three years since I became seriously concerned about her cognitive abilities. Whether this would have happened anyway is a moot question.
At home she went out at least once a day down her high street and for a 91 year old was pretty good on her feet. She is now much more wobbly and several times recently I have thought she would have fallen if I wasn't holding her arm. I noticed that just walking her round the corner to a local café seems to wear her out too. I haven't broached the subject of having a walking aid as I can imagine mum would think to have one is giving in to old age. I'll wait on that one.
Mentally she is much more confused and her memory is much worse. Although memory problems were part of her symptoms while at home, her most obvious difficulty was with logic. Now she seems to have limited and fragmented memories of what happened in the recent past, and her memories of long past events is also very muddled. She is convinced her parents and my dad are still alive, often asks about my mum and sister, even though she knows I'm her daughter, and I don't have a sister. She also doesn't seem to be able to answer simple questions, but prefers to talk about whatever random topic comes into her mind. Certainly I don't think she would be able to cope living independently any more.
When she moved in mum was very unhappy. Since then her mood switches from being very happy to being very unhappy almost at a flick of a switch. Her default state seems to be on the miserable side of content. I don't think she'd be any happier anywhere else, but of course at times she thinks she would. After a visit from the GP and the Memory Clinic she is on half a lorazepam every other day. The home are monitoring this closely as they don't want to change her personality but they are hoping that the edge can be taken off her anger.
So all in all I think I'm as happy as I can be about things. I'm still learning working out about best times and frequency of visits, but things are slowly getting better.

Last edited:

tamlaorange

Nov 6, 2019
This all rings so true to me. I guess what you’re feeling is guilt and doubt. Guilt for me is the overwhelming feeling. Did I do the right thing? Did I choose the right home?

It is good that you have support on the decision you made from friends and family. Luckily I had the same support network.

I think the turning point came for me in knowing I had done the right thing was when Dad rang me very confused and I was 2 hours drive away. I knew he is safe where he is and although a lot of the time unhappy, at least he is cared for.

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
My mum has just moved into a NH and I know it’s the right thing. My dad was of the same opinion as your husband “we can manage....” A week after turning down a really nice home close to him the fully anticipated crisis happened and that home didn’t have a space any longer. We were suddenly thrown into a panic needing a home at short notice and having to accept one at a distance that we didn’t like. (Another turn of events meant this didn’t pan out...but whilst we were in the situation it made him regret not electively choosing to go in and have choices.)

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Hi @Sarasa, and what an interesting read.
I think whenever an important and life-changing decision has to be made, it's only after the event that you can look back with a cool head and clear vision and put things into perspective.

At 91, your mum's health is unlikely to improve, although whether the decline is more marked since her transfer into care is hard for you to judge. It sounds as if she was well exercised before, so maybe the fact that her wings have been clipped to a certain degree, have contributed to her loss of mobility and balance.

Likewise, if the home has plenty of activity sessions she can join in with and other people - residents and carers to talk to providing mental stimulation, then again, perhaps the downturn you have noticed with her memory would have happened anyway.

Weighing up the 'should you / shouldn't you' argument, your mum is now receiving 24/7 care and attention, from people who, over time, will become more familiar to her and she to them.
It sounds as if they are concerned about her emotional well-being enough to seek medical advice and monitor the situation, which is brilliant.

She's in good hands and you have 100% made the right decision, both for her and your family's future.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Hi Sarasa, I can't believe six months has passed so quickly! It seems 5 minutes since she was accusing the neighbours of stealing. Anyway, you know she is safe, can't go wandering off and is vulnerable on her own. You have definitely made the right decision and I hope you feel less worried generally.
It's a funny old situation being a carer - we never know whether we are doing the right thing at any point - well I don't - but we live and learn. Hope all is well with you and good luck with the move ahead :)

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Hi Sarasa,
I am sure you made the right decision to move your mum when you did, rather than wait for a crisis which would have meant finding a home quickly and maybe not having the same choices. You know your mum best about the type of home she would prefer. She may not always be happy, but you know that she is safe and that there are people about to care for her 24/7. Please don't feel guilty, you did what was best for your mum x

Champers

Jan 3, 2019
All very, very good points raised here and I can’t really add to them but - importantly - how do you feel? Not about your mum and the CH, but about yourself? Hopefully, you are feeling much less stressed and less under pressure. I actually think that’s part of the guilt thing. The sense of relief that a decision has finally been made and you actually know that your parent is safe, is huge and mustn’t ever be underestimated. Then, of course, because you care, the guilt and beating yourself up starts, because you feel bad about feeling relief and letting go of no longer being on the front line and being the first port of call when there’s a crisis.

Until both my mother and MIL went into a CH, I didn’t realise how much constant mental anxiety I was permanently under. I was always waiting for the crisis call and every time a neighbour rang to report something else, my heart would sink and I felt was always struggling to keep control. You get one thing in place and something else then falls out of place! I’m positive I’m certainly not unique in this. They were always at the back of my mind so I never liked making any plans, just in case I needed to be available.or something happened.

Look after yourself now. Try to relax and have more me time. You’ve earned it totally and owe it to yourself. Xx

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Thank you for your replies everyone @Champers, how I feel is an interesting question. I don't feel guilty about moving mum into care, I would have felt far worse if I'd left her at home and a disaster had happened. I do feel I could have managed the move better. Mum had no idea what was happening.
Mum had agreed to moving from her flat to somewhere near my brother, but the place my brother had shown her was no longer suitable and my brother was (and is) too ill for her to move near him anyway. We told mum she would be staying near me until the place near my brother was ready, but no more than that. On the day I moved her she thought we were going on holiday, something we were supposed to be doing a month later. Arriving at a care home and not Gatwick Airport must have been a real shock to her.
I too used to dread the phone ringing. Mum was the only person to use our landline phone which has a very loud ring as I'm deaf. I'm sure the neighbours must have been very fed up with the late night and early morning calls. Every time she rang I wondered what the latest crisis was going to be, and when she didn't I thought she was stranded on the floor after a fall.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Thank you for your replies everyone @Champers, how I feel is an interesting question. I don't feel guilty about moving mum into care, I would have felt far worse if I'd left her at home and a disaster had happened. I do feel I could have managed the move better. Mum had no idea what was happening.
Mum had agreed to moving from her flat to somewhere near my brother, but the place my brother had shown her was no longer suitable and my brother was (and is) too ill for her to move near him anyway. We told mum she would be staying near me until the place near my brother was ready, but no more than that. On the day I moved her she thought we were going on holiday, something we were supposed to be doing a month later. Arriving at a care home and not Gatwick Airport must have been a real shock to her.
I too used to dread the phone ringing. Mum was the only person to use our landline phone which has a very loud ring as I'm deaf. I'm sure the neighbours must have been very fed up with the late night and early morning calls. Every time she rang I wondered what the latest crisis was going to be, and when she didn't I thought she was stranded on the floor after a fall.

I think its a very difficult call @Sarasa. Mum and I have always been good friends, but she could be fiesty as well even with me when she didn't get her way. I think you have done your best and your reasoning or should I say musing shows that. I have had equal difficulties constantly mulling over the what iff's and a few other problems to boot. My own anxiety was being pushed and I was constantly worrying about 'the call' until it came. I think that when we start to sense things are changing then we have to start thinking about how best to move forward. Its not easy, on the one hand we need to know they are safe, but on the other we need to know that what we do to make them safe is the right decision. Its hard caring for someone with whom you are emotionally involved with (be that positive or negative) and whatever you do, there will always be your own doubt -but that is what makes us human

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
Worrying about “the call”.
Receiving several calls (serious but not the one)
Feeling anxious about leaving

All gone since mum is safe in NH.

Feistywoman

Aug 11, 2018
@Sarasa sorry to hear that your Mum continues to want to leave, it must make visiting very stressful. My Mum is now 3 months in and I cannot believe the decline since she went into the CH, this would probably have happened anyway but it’s difficult to comprehend. Perhaps it’s magnified since they went in and we notice more? She tells me of people long dead who come to visit her, asks where my Dad is all the time ( he passed 17 years ago). I have become a very adept liar . My Mum has no concept she is in a care home, still thinks she lives at home which means when I’m going she wants me to ‘drop her home’ which can mean that I spend the visit in tenderhooks on how she’s going to react....I’m sure you know that feeling well!! Sorry I’ve no answers but I do know how consuming your feelings are.