How do you deal with this ..

Emchic

Oct 19, 2019
My dad regularly forgets my mum and thinks she is a new woman in his life. He knows he loves her very much but he then worries and frets about what has happened to his ‘first wife’, who is the same woman, my mum.

what is the best way to deal with this? Should we go along with it or calmly tell him that they are the same person? Has anyone encountered this?

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
Yes. This was one of the hardest stages according to my dad. We had a photo book showing mum as a young woman, dating my dad, getting married and then having children. He used to read this with her.

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
Not quite the same, but my dad knows I'm AztecCamera87, but will also ask me where AztecCamera87 is, he will explain that he knows I am, but is asking about the little one. He seems to think me as an adult and me as a child are two separate people. This gets worse in the evening (sundowning is a right pain as he also claims he's not eaten all day and at its worst he can also become hugely agitated and more confused).

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Humour! my Dad propositioned me infront of my husband- I was holding his hand at the time & Dad said .. when are we doing the rides...
my reply while gently laughing & patting his hand- ....see that man sat over there, he’s my husband & I don’t do that with him so I’m not going to with you.

Other option asking if the wedding was lovely. It sometimes triggers old memories & like a reset button things fall into place