Miscellaneous sources of consumerist positivity (things wot I bought and is useful)

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
A slightly tidier house would do no harm. :) It's no use pretending I'm naturally tidy though, and Mum's habit of rearranging everything she can reach gives me the perfect excuse. They do say an uncluttered environment is best for those with dementia, but the only thing which occupies Mum's magpie mind is fiddling with whatever takes her fancy that day. So I leave things she likes all over the place and let her get on with it.

As for the Santa thing... now you've got me worried. I can't see your Santa (maybe we each have a personal Santa?) but I can see one reflected at the top right of the big central mirror on the back wall. I think I may have to get a Grinch in to excommunicate this ghostly observer.

The way I look at it, that person's still there, but is hibernating, and life is shovelling a nice, warm layer of protective manure over it to protect it from the dreadful weather.

Spring will come, but it'll take a while to find the light and we'll need a good wash.

The panels are very stiff wire with flexible, but tough, plastic panels*, and stiff plastic clips fasten them together (which can be a bit of a faff to fasten but are solid when done). But it forms a pretty stable structure. I'd hesitate to call it sturdy but it's nowhere near flimsy.

*They're not Mum-proof though. Part of the unit is now in the kitchen for my shoes, but Mum's slowly destroying it. She just fiddles and fiddles with it until the clips come off (no mean feat!) a panels can flap about, and she can then worry away at it until something starts to tear. Then she's off to the races! I let her get on with it, as long as she's (apparently) happy. For some reason a lifetime of creativity as a hairdresser and gardener has turned to a life of getting some kind of satisfaction from disassembly and destruction. There's probably a metaphor for life in there somewhere... ashes to ashes and all that.

Thanks for getting back to me. Please keep posting any more wonderful ideas you have I can pinch!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I used to do that but it rarely got recanted into bottles. All wild fruit I called it hedgerow. I used to walk my dog for miles (in my hiking boots ) and I would take a bucket for the fruit. I had demijohns everywhere. I did give some away though and it was very good stuff.

One year the cherry trees were so full of cherries that I came home and went back in the car with a ladder.

That person I used to be.

every year I tell myself I will make elderflower cordial , the buckets gathering dust & the citric acid is out of date! Maybe 2020

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Baby night lights , battery operated throws patterns onto the ceiling . Also holographic lights are about this time of year & you can angle them !

Lirene

Sep 15, 2019
Anyone who could make an all singing, all dancing, 24 hour carer with endless energy and patience, always happy, good sense of humour, no sense of smell , good with elderly toddlers, who never needs alcohol, sleep, days off, holidays or respite would make a fortune -
Love and hugs xx

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Anyone who could make an all singing, all dancing, 24 hour carer with endless energy and patience, always happy, good sense of humour, no sense of smell , good with elderly toddlers, who never needs alcohol, sleep, days off, holidays or respite would make a fortune -
Love and hugs xx
A robot?

Lirene

Sep 15, 2019
And the rest ! Half a dozen I think at least - then we carers can put our feet up for more than five minutes!!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Cloning - they managed it with Dolly the sheep! After all as carers for PWD the expectation to be able to do 24/7 what usually takes a large care team who have organised rest periods, working hours, days off, holiday time, oh & let’s not forget sick leave!!

Yep cloning... but without the emotional break down bit- I just want positive clones!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Ok folks I’m going to be turning my Dads room into a fairy light grotto. How soon do you think I can get away with a small Christmas tree in his window?

realise I have to wait until November is in double digits for the fairy lights , but my virtual amazon trolley is filling up - ooops presses buy !

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
Dear All

I had a word with Father Christmas about this 100% never ending energy positive, non smelling etc etc Clone/Robot Carer. Unfortunately he has advised that as yet this model is not available in the supermarkets for sale to the public due to lack of funding from the Government but they are looking into it's viability. Father Christmas has said if you are all good, he will send the Government a stern letter asking for this to be made available asap in the meantime you will just have to get on with it!!

Happy Xmas Desperate of Devon (yes I know its only November but I reckon you could get away with the tree in a few days!)

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Dear All

I had a word with Father Christmas about this 100% never ending energy positive, non smelling etc etc Clone/Robot Carer. Unfortunately he has advised that as yet this model is not available in the supermarkets for sale to the public due to lack of funding from the Government but they are looking into it's viability. Father Christmas has said if you are all good, he will send the Government a stern letter asking for this to be made available asap in the meantime you will just have to get on with it!!

Happy Xmas Desperate of Devon (yes I know its only November but I reckon you could get away with the tree in a few days!)

Oh Santa, the Parliament is dissolved!
Hopefully a lump of coal attached to the aforementioned letter might be appropriate in certain cases?

white lights or coloured?
I’m a warm white lights girl but as a child we always had coloured.
Definitely got to have twinkle settings!

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
Oh Santa, the Parliament is dissolved!
Hopefully a lump of coal attached to the aforementioned letter might be appropriate in certain cases?

white lights or coloured?
I’m a warm white lights girl but as a child we always had coloured.
Definitely got to have twinkle settings!

Santa did not realise Parliament is dissolved as he is not a uk resident and unfortunately his coal miners are on strike.

It has to be white twinkly ones, coloured ones are too crass!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Santa did not realise Parliament is dissolved as he is not a uk resident and unfortunately his coal miners are on strike.

It has to be white twinkly ones, coloured ones are too crass!
Yes I know, but would retro coloured ones trigger memories of Christmas past for Dad?

internet search for aesthetically pleasing coloured lights .... anyone?

all options still on the table.... though warm white it will probably be- with warm white star lights!

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
Yes I know, but would retro coloured ones trigger memories of Christmas past for Dad?

all options still on the table.... though warm white it will probably be- with warm white star lights!

Ah now I see where you are coming from re your dad go for both coloured and white twinkly ones.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Ok folks I’m going to be turning my Dads room into a fairy light grotto. How soon do you think I can get away with a small Christmas tree in his window?

realise I have to wait until November is in double digits for the fairy lights , but my virtual amazon trolley is filling up - ooops presses buy !
Fairy lights are great anytime of the year. I am going to add a whole lot more to my courtyard and plan on enjoying them way past Christmas.

Lirene

Sep 15, 2019
We have loads of coloured solar lights but of course they don’t work in the winter!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

>>>here<<< any good?
cl08114_1.jpg

Other options >>>here<<<

Last edited: