Blue badge application refusal

wightdancer

Mar 15, 2017
I have just received an amazing letter from the Council refusing our Blue Badge Application on the basis that my wife quote.....
'does not meet the Non-Visible (hidden) criteria that would qualify you to receive a Blue Badge'. Dept for Transport guidance states that where the presence of someone, supporting the applicant, negates the risk and reduces or prevents any psychological distress, then the person is unlikely to qualify for a Blue Badge' end quote.

My wife's Dementia was first noticed in 2012 and diagnosed in 2014. During an aggressive bout in 2017 she had to get emergency medical treatment to calm her. Her day care centre stopped collecting her for health and safety reasons as she would try to undo her seat-belt. She does the same when I am driving and even tries to open the door so I have to use child locks.
She cannot converse with me so cannot understand any instruction. I cannot leave her for a moment or she will wander off immediately. Trying to get a ticket from a parking meter with one hand while my wife is stepping over shadows is not easy.

It appears that the change in rules to include people with severe Alzheimer's and some other hidden mental disabilities is in fact just lip service. Anyone with severe Alzheimer's like my wife will always be accompanied thus instantly disqualified from getting a Blue Badge.
The Dept of Transport instead of helping those with Alzheimers have sadly let us all down.

Last edited by a moderator:

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I have just received an amazing letter from the Council (see attached) refusing our Blue Badge Application on the basis that my wife quote.....
'does not meet the Non-Visible (hidden) criteria that would qualify you to receive a Blue Badge'. Dept for Transport guidance states that where the presence of someone, supporting the applicant, negates the risk and reduces or prevents any psychological distress, then the person is unlikely to qualify for a Blue Badge' end quote.

My wife's Dementia was first noticed in 2012 and diagnosed in 2014. During an aggressive bout in 2017 she had to get emergency medical treatment to calm her. Her day care centre stopped collecting her for health and safety reasons as she would try to undo her seat-belt. She does the same when I am driving and even tries to open the door so I have to use child locks.
She cannot converse with me so cannot understand any instruction. I cannot leave her for a moment or she will wander off immediately. Trying to get a ticket from a parking meter with one hand while my wife is stepping over shadows is not easy.

It appears that the change in rules to include people with severe Alzheimer's and some other hidden mental disabilities is in fact just lip service. Anyone with severe Alzheimer's like my wife will always be accompanied thus instantly disqualified from getting a Blue Badge.
The Dept of Transport instead of helping those with Alzheimers have sadly let us all down.
I am appalled. Please consider contacting your MP about this. warmest, Geraldine aka kindred.

Petunia59

Oct 11, 2019
I'm convinced that in these situations you'll get nowhere unless the person dealing with your application has had personal experience of dealing with a PWD. Many people think "dementia; that's when a person can't remember things" and have no understanding of the other behavioural issues.
Can you appeal? Try asking Age UK for advice.
Hope you can get it sorted soon.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I agree ask CAB or AgeUK to help with an appeal, they will have local experience and knowledge.

The blue badge scheme is designed to allow those who have difficulty walking park near their destination. in your appeal you should give reasons why your wife needs this facility.
Do any of these apply?

• Poor visual perception which has lead to falls at changes of level and/or texture of walking surface.
  • Suffers from shakes, rigidity.
  • Liable to freeze when walking - safety when crossing road.
  • Liable to bolt and run - again safety when crossing road

wightdancer

Mar 15, 2017
Thank
I agree ask CAB or AgeUK to help with an appeal, they will have local experience and knowledge.

The blue badge scheme is designed to allow those who have difficulty walking park near their destination. in your appeal you should give reasons why your wife needs this facility.
Do any of these apply?

• Poor visual perception which has lead to falls at changes of level and/or texture of walking surface.
  • Suffers from shakes, rigidity.
  • Liable to freeze when walking - safety when crossing road.
  • Liable to bolt and run - again safety when crossing road
Thank you for your input. Yes, her perception of distance and obstacles is variable depending on her mindset at the time. On occasions she won't walk over a zebra crossing because I guess she sees it as steps or walls. Same with shadows that she thinks will hit her.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi @wightdancer

When my wife was first diagnosed 6 years ago, it never even occurred to me to apply for a blue badge, even though she had suffered with back problems for around 38 years (she was fiercely independent).

A couple of years later, having found out about a local support charity, one of their coordinators visited us and signposted a whole host of avenues where we could seek help. He asked if we'd applied for a blue badge and explained that our local authority, even back then, gave consideration to applicants with dementia.

So I applied and a few weeks later, voila - success. I hadn't mentioned her back problems, instead concentrating on the issues (similar to yours) where my wife would usually remain in the car, as long as she could see where I had gone. I also explained that if the distance from the car to where we needed to walk was too far, she would get very agitated and anxious.

It has come come up for renewal and I used the new online application process, which includes hidden disabilities, which seemed fairly straightforward. As my wife was just about to go into permanent residential care in a nursing home, I stated this, but told them that I was still intending to take her out for the odd trip in the car, where possible. Again, the new badge came in a couple of weeks.

I agree with others that it may be worth asking AgeUK for advice, or any carer support organisations in your area. You could also ask the Council why they appear to be discriminating dementia applicants, compared with other LA's?

Keep fighting and good luck.
Phil

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Thank you for your input. Yes, her perception of distance and obstacles is variable depending on her mindset at the time. On occasions she won't walk over a zebra crossing because I guess she sees it as steps or walls. Same with shadows that she thinks will hit her.

You have the basis for an argument that it is unsafe for her to walk any distance even if accompanied.
Examples of actual events submitted as evidence could be useful.

Lirene

Sep 15, 2019
Email your MP - you can get full details from the internet. We carers have to stick together and keep fighting for what is needed to keep our love ones safe and make life as easy as possible for them. Love and hugs xx

Olliebeak

Sep 13, 2014
Buckinghamshire
You do have a right of appeal and your decision letter should tell you how to ask for a reconsideration and the time limits. You can write pointing out everything you have said in this thread. A doctors letter might help.

I would also say contact your county councillor. Not sure you will get much help from MPs just now!

Good luck!

wightdancer

Mar 15, 2017
Thank you
Hi @wightdancer

When my wife was first diagnosed 6 years ago, it never even occurred to me to apply for a blue badge, even though she had suffered with back problems for around 38 years (she was fiercely independent).

A couple of years later, having found out about a local support charity, one of their coordinators visited us and signposted a whole host of avenues where we could seek help. He asked if we'd applied for a blue badge and explained that our local authority, even back then, gave consideration to applicants with dementia.

So I applied and a few weeks later, voila - success. I hadn't mentioned her back problems, instead concentrating on the issues (similar to yours) where my wife would usually remain in the car, as long as she could see where I had gone. I also explained that if the distance from the car to where we needed to walk was too far, she would get very agitated and anxious.

It has come come up for renewal and I used the new online application process, which includes hidden disabilities, which seemed fairly straightforward. As my wife was just about to go into permanent residential care in a nursing home, I stated this, but told them that I was still intending to take her out for the odd trip in the car, where possible. Again, the new badge came in a couple of weeks.

I agree with others that it may be worth asking AgeUK for advice, or any carer support organisations in your area. You could also ask the Council why they appear to be discriminating dementia applicants, compared with other LA's?

Keep fighting and good luck.
Phil

Thank you Phil, I intend to fight it and might suggest they come and take my wife out for an hour and see for themselves how dangerous and frustrating a trip to the shops can be.
Crazy really, I don't have pots of money, i'm just trying my best to take care of my partner of 55 years by myself without asking for any handouts just a bit of help with parking issues.

Jackhappy88

Nov 2, 2019
Sorry that you have not got your blue badge,I know how you feel I myself try to avoid going out with my partner
You turn your back for a sec and there off I do have support mon to fri 11 to 17:00 it’s not to bad for me, sat and sun I don’t go out it drives me nuts not talking to anybody, friends family say I’m doing a great job and how are you I always say I’m ok my face is just a mask but I have to keep on going for my partner giving her the best care i can Christmas will be here soon I’m just dreading it I will not be putting a tree or card up this year hope you don’t mind me mourning, that’s it for now.
Hope your situation improves.

Jackhappy88

Nov 2, 2019
Sorry that you have not got your blue badge,I know how you feel I myself try to avoid going out with my partner
You turn your back for a sec and there off I do have support mon to fri 11 to 17:00 it’s not to bad for me, sat and sun I don’t go out it drives me nuts not talking to anybody, friends family say I’m doing a great job and how are you I always say I’m ok my face is just a mask but I have to keep on going for my partner giving her the best care i can Christmas will be here soon I’m just dreading it I will not be putting a tree or card up this year hope you don’t mind me mourning, that’s it for now.

wightdancer

Mar 15, 2017

Yes, you hit the nail on the head, it is very lonely with only your thoughts to keep you company.
Contact from family and friends slowly recede....funny that.
Unless you live it nobody could appreciate the abject misery of living alone with your partner who cannot form words or understand anything you say. Pretty sad existence for both partners.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
My application on behalf of my mother has also run into problems, although when I asked for the appeals process the assessor backtracked and said they have not turned it down yet but need more information.

I have already sent them a letter from her GP outlining her problems with visual awareness, tripping over uneven pavements and anxiety when left alone. But as she is always accompanied by someone and we link arms with her for safety, she does not meet the mobility criteria ie is able to walk more than 50 m using aids ( a person!). They seem to be looking for extreme psychological distress which is how the Gvt guidelines issued to LAs puts it ( I have read the 148 page document thoroughly to help with my appeal!) Theyvwant more evidence from professionals ie the falls clinics, psychiatrists etc even though mum in not involved with anyone like that.

They have said that mum will have to go for an assessment but as she is actually physically very fit, there doesn't seem much point. Mum denies that there is anything wrong with her so talking to her won't help either.

It's difficult really to make a case for a Blue Badge when a PWD never goes out alone, the fact that we cannot leave mum alone in the car while we go and get a ticket doesn't help as in many private shop car parks you still need to pay even with a badge.

It would be helpful though to have the car close to the door when mum has an anxiety attack in a busy store like she did with my sister last week, when mum gets agitated its very hard to walk her any distance to get back to the car.

However, after being told by a friend who is a very senior OT manager in the NHS and is involved with the assessment procedures, there are grave concerns about giving too many people badges as there are already not enough disabled parking places!

I intend to complain but as parliament has been dissolved and our MPs are "unemployed" until they are elected, there's not much I can do for now.

wightdancer

Mar 15, 2017
Yes, some restrictions in the new legislation appear to be total nonsense; a PWD who is always accompanied and in your case linking arms with you is not at risk or likely to harm other people.

The Council refusal letter to me states that the new legislation that came into force on 30th Aug 2019 allows for people who, quote…

i. Are unable to walk

ii. Experience very considerable difficulty whilst walking, which may include very considerable psychological distress; or

iii. Are at risk of serious harm when walking; or pose, when walking, a risk of serious harm to any other person.

I suppose a blue badge is a minor thing compared to all the daily mental and physical challenges we carers face but as they say.....every little helps! In this instance the new legislation does the opposite and just adds to the stress.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
When I applied for PWD, some years ago, I remember using the problem with hospitals. Sometimes we had to park a long way away from the entrance - he couldn’t walk that far. He wouldn’t stay in the car while I found a wheel chair ( and when I did, he wouldn’t always use it). I couldn’t drop him at the door and then park the car cos he could be absolutely anywhere by the time I got back.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I'm still waiting for a response from my council regarding the Blue Badge application I made for my husband. It will be interesting to see what happens having read this. My husband does freeze sometimes when I try crossing the road with him. His actual walking is fine while using his walker, it is purely a mental disability which seems to be focused on visual awareness of the different surfaces he has to walk on. I am prepared to fight if necessary.

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
I managed to get a badge for mum but it was little to do with her dementia and I think, as others have said, you have to be selective in what you tell them.

She walked with a frame so I told them about the distance she could walk - to the gate.
I told them that due to her condition it was important to keep her stimulated but if, for instance, I took her to a NT property the ordinary car parks were so far away that before we had even got to the entrance she was exhausted. Ditto the hospitals. She did not understand wheelchairs in that she was frightened about being pushed, not realising that there was someone behind her controlling the forward motion of the chair.
I could not drop her off at the door and then go and park the car as she would have wandered off or been frightened at being left alone.

It took three applications, adapting the wording each time, but we got the badge in the end and it certainly opened up her world a great deal.

wightdancer

Mar 15, 2017
I will get our doctor to write a letter of support. The applied new rules don't make allowances for PWD who can walk fine but can easily mistake shadows and shapes for stairs or just decide they won't go any further.