Another stage

CWR

Mar 17, 2019
My mother has always had good mobility. She would go up and down the stairs at home and at quite a good pace, so the latest development is a bit difficult. She caught a cold which affected her mobility, and was taken to hospital. I had assumed that once she came back, she would soon get back into her old routines. Normally she would go to daycare on a Monday, and to a lunch club from Tuesday to Friday and then to church on Sunday. The only times this didnt apply were when she was in respite.
So imagine my distress when I collected her from hospital and could hardly get her into the taxi, and as for getting her up the stairs to our house, well that was equally hard. The next day I called her GP who came and prescribed antibiotics. She seemed better on Wednesday, but worse on Thursday. On Friday her carer decided she wasnt able to go into the bathroom for her wash but left her in bed. And in bed she stayed. Then she fell out of bed Monday morning. No harm done, but she fell on the other side the following day. Paramedics came and checked her. Everything ok.
Yesterday morning, tho she was unresponsive, not he usual cheery self, and a carer noted a red swollen area on her wrist, so I called the GP, who advised calling an ambulance. Six hours later,afer xrays blood tests etc she was admitted to the same rehab ward she had been discharged from over a week ago. I was told they suspected gout was the cause of the swelling and pain.
Today a hospital bed was delivered, with massive disruption to the front bedroom, with the physio saying if she regains her mobility she would have to wait to leave if the bed wasn't in the house. I called the hospital later.It is cellulitis, they reckon, much more potentially serious, but they have started antibiotics. The nurse did wonder whether she would regain mobility, as indeed I have.
So there we are, and it all feels so unreal. I know things can change in the twinkling of an eye, but it only hits home when you see it yourself. If she doesnt regain her mobility, then the care home can't be far off. I would feel relieved but guilty at feeling relieved. You can do what you can do, but at the end fof the day, life goes at its own pace, regardless. I still cant believe that the wee woman who would get up and open the front door to see what was happenng outside is now confined to bed.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
It’s all so incredibly sad @CWR :(
People think that Mum not knowing me or my name must be really hard.
No... I’ve accepted that much more easily than my Mum losing all mobility.
Mums been in a care home 3.5yrs. A year ago following a series of UTI’s she lost all mobility.
Bed bound/chair bound... this is it for the last year. She can just about take 2 steps with someone either side, but certainly cannot weight bear.
Not being able to talk other than a Yea, No or mmmmm is a close second. :( Occasionally she will surprise you with a jumbled 3 or 4 words.

I felt relieved at Mum going into care, but never guilty.
More a mixture of anger, sadness & disbelief. In other words I was grieving for the loss of my Mum.

best wishes to you both x

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
My mother has always had good mobility. She would go up and down the stairs at home and at quite a good pace, so the latest development is a bit difficult. She caught a cold which affected her mobility, and was taken to hospital. I had assumed that once she came back, she would soon get back into her old routines. Normally she would go to daycare on a Monday, and to a lunch club from Tuesday to Friday and then to church on Sunday. The only times this didnt apply were when she was in respite.
So imagine my distress when I collected her from hospital and could hardly get her into the taxi, and as for getting her up the stairs to our house, well that was equally hard. The next day I called her GP who came and prescribed antibiotics. She seemed better on Wednesday, but worse on Thursday. On Friday her carer decided she wasnt able to go into the bathroom for her wash but left her in bed. And in bed she stayed. Then she fell out of bed Monday morning. No harm done, but she fell on the other side the following day. Paramedics came and checked her. Everything ok.
Yesterday morning, tho she was unresponsive, not he usual cheery self, and a carer noted a red swollen area on her wrist, so I called the GP, who advised calling an ambulance. Six hours later,afer xrays blood tests etc she was admitted to the same rehab ward she had been discharged from over a week ago. I was told they suspected gout was the cause of the swelling and pain.
Today a hospital bed was delivered, with massive disruption to the front bedroom, with the physio saying if she regains her mobility she would have to wait to leave if the bed wasn't in the house. I called the hospital later.It is cellulitis, they reckon, much more potentially serious, but they have started antibiotics. The nurse did wonder whether she would regain mobility, as indeed I have.
So there we are, and it all feels so unreal. I know things can change in the twinkling of an eye, but it only hits home when you see it yourself. If she doesnt regain her mobility, then the care home can't be far off. I would feel relieved but guilty at feeling relieved. You can do what you can do, but at the end fof the day, life goes at its own pace, regardless. I still cant believe that the wee woman who would get up and open the front door to see what was happenng outside is now confined to bed.

please don’t feel guilty, when I read how people care for their PWD at home I think wow ... it takes superhuman determination & strength to do what a team of people do in a care home. Carers are amazing people that are under appreciated, but I freely admit I couldn’t do what you do.

so please be kind to yourself, you are amazing, loving & caring person- but you are only human & eventually Dementia becomes too much.
Sending (((((((hugs))))))))))

lis66

Aug 7, 2015
Hi CWR my mother has vascular dementia and Alzheimer's,for six years now ,and it is affecting her balance,high risk of falls ,she has just recovered from yet another fracture and each time she falls and breaks something the illness progresses,I take her hand while walking and now when she is standing still I see her legs shaking ,she would never use a walking stick or walking frame,and I feel it's to late now as she won't remember what to do with them I also felt better when mum was in rehab I felt she was safer ,and now I'm justing waiting for another accident to happen xxx

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Hi CWR my mother has vascular dementia and Alzheimer's,for six years now ,and it is affecting her balance,high risk of falls ,she has just recovered from yet another fracture and each time she falls and breaks something the illness progresses,I take her hand while walking and now when she is standing still I see her legs shaking ,she would never use a walking stick or walking frame,and I feel it's to late now as she won't remember what to do with them I also felt better when mum was in rehab I felt she was safer ,and now I'm justing waiting for another accident to happen xxx

aged mother was the same & it took many people & a long hospital stay for her to realise that unless she used stick now a frame - she wouldn’t be able to stay in her own home.

You have to be firm on this for her own best interests, my Granny broke her hip & stubbornness obviously being a family trait wouldn’t use her frame. Another broken hip & no op this time to repair it - so she ended up in a nursing home for years.

It was a very sad experience & I couldn’t understand how my mum could allow my Gran to not use the frame.
When faced with the same situation I was determined not to repeat that sad experience; it was a battle but hindsight tells me it was worthwhile.

lis66

Aug 7, 2015
Yes it definitely was worth while the Dr told mum you don't want to end up with a broken hip as it can be life threating x

CWR

Mar 17, 2019
please don’t feel guilty, when I read how people care for their PWD at home I think wow ... it takes superhuman determination & strength to do what a team of people do in a care home. Carers are amazing people that are under appreciated, but I freely admit I couldn’t do what you do.

so please be kind to yourself, you are amazing, loving & caring person- but you are only human & eventually Dementia becomes too much.
Sending (((((((hugs))))))))))
I have got a sick line from my doc; at least I don't have to struggle juggling work with looking after mum for a while, a little breathing space while I work out what to do next.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I have got a sick line from my doc; at least I don't have to struggle juggling work with looking after mum for a while, a little breathing space while I work out what to do next.

thats the problem with being self employed - no benefits!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiabarbour