So is this it...?

Jenni_B

Aug 24, 2019
France
You can only do what you can do, and no daughter could have been trying harder than you. At least you have more clarity now. Good luck with the needs assessment request.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Do not berate yourself, no-one could/is trying harder than you to support not just your dad, but mum as well.
This won't have any bearing or help with your dad's case, but as a matter of interest, are there any other families having similar difficulties with the CH at the moment or in the past?
The CH general attitude seems so lax, it would seem likely that other people have been there before you, is so, are you aware of the details/outcome?

(I know you're in the depths of despair with your own problems, ignore my comment about other pwd residents).

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Do not berate yourself, no-one could/is trying harder than you to support not just your dad, but mum as well.
This won't have any bearing or help with your dad's case, but as a matter of interest, are there any other families having similar difficulties with the CH at the moment or in the past?
The CH general attitude seems so lax, it would seem likely that other people have been there before you, is so, are you aware of the details/outcome?

(I know you're in the depths of despair with your own problems, ignore my comment about other pwd residents).

We don’t see many visitors when we are there

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
My daughter went in to see grandad & guess what slumped forward not able to eat as his chin was on his head. So much for safeguarding! They are a joke!
If it wasn’t for a couple of lovely carers who got him in his room reclining on his bed he wouldn’t have been able to eat anything- as it was it took my daughter over an hour to feed him a small amount!

no soft diet - roast dinner!

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
That is absolutely dreadful by the CH @DesperateofDevon - I don't understand their stance at all. He certainly should be on a soft diet if he is unable to eat. I just hold hope that you will get resolution with the investigation(s).

Starbright

Apr 8, 2018
All of what you are having to deal with @DesperateofDevon just beggars belief!!!! ...your poor dad in pain so wrong.....your doing the very best you can ...Im sorry I have no useful advice but try just take care of yourself .
(((Hugs))) A x

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I am another one who has no good ideas on what you can do but can only send you hugs and really hope that you get some positive action soon. Loads of hugs

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Today is the day that Dad is actually going to be assessed by SALT & O/T & I’m not going to be present.
My lovely daughter & my support worker will be there.

I am taking a step back & however difficult that maybe for me,it is in Dads best interests at this moment in time.

trying to sort out care for a loved one is an emotional experience at the best of times.
During stressful times & hitting brick walls it is near impossible.

yesterday my daughter went in to see her grandad, & found him slumped forward as usual chin on chest & eyes closed....- yes the safeguarding meeting was as helpful as a chocolate teapot.
So when lunch came he couldn’t open his mouth to eat in that position.
Thank goodness I wasn’t there otherwise I don’t think I’d have been able to contain myself.
Upshot was Dad was put into bed - reclining & became more alert, well his eyes opened & he was able to take some food, & protein drink when spoon fed in that position.

my daughter is only 22
I am so proud of the maturity with which she deals with a situation no 22 year old should ever have to deal with.

I haven’t heard anything from the safeguarding meeting ......chairperson, Dads social worker, social worker investigating the safeguarding nada.
Neither has my husband.
Incredible really as after I left the meeting apparently points to be addressed were made & communication was one of them!

if it wasn’t such an awful situation it would be laughable!

so I’m behind the scenes beavering away still compiling emails to reply to the GP’s unhelpful telephone conversation. Amazingly no one wants to commit to black & white apart from me. Even when requested to......

By stepping back from being Dads constant visitor & advocate I hope that my OH & daughter can actually be the advocates that dictate change.

we have offered to buy Dad a reclining chair, we have offered to fill in any forms required to provide the care he now needs, we have agreed to meet the home & discuss care needs.... no I won’t be there for that one folks.... I’m leaving it to my own Batman & Robin! Minus the Lycra in O/H case!!

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Good Morning @DesperateofDevon, it sounds as though you have a wonderful caring and supportive family who are doing their utmost for your Dad. I really hope you get some resolution soon, I really can imagine how painful it is for you all.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
My lovely daughter has done her Grandad proud, as has my support worker!

Finally a professional or two who see what we see - & how we have been suggesting that a different care plan is required to fit the current needs.

I am a very proud parent!

I wonder if the care home, district nurse , GP, social worker , social services & safeguarding team will be able to accept the diagnosis from two highly trained professionals?

still no office contact details for social services safeguarding team ....

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Daughter says a reclining chair on wheels is being provided , but it’s a 12 week wait. So going to see if we can hire one !!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
@DesperateofDevon have you read the following article it might give you some leverage for getting some pain relief for your dad.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6234644/

thank you x Dad has kidney function issues so paracetamol is a no go, plus liver function issues from previous meds ; it’s lovely of you to thought of us. Dads Butec patch & oromorph are a good option at the moment but it’s a fluid situation so all options are on the table.

I hope that the article might help someone’s else as well
X

Last edited:

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
So pleased you have some positive news. Well done your daughter and support worker. Hope that gives you some strength back and your Dad starts getting the care he needs

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan