Trying to learn to sit on my hands - caring from a distance

Turkish Delight

Oct 28, 2019
Hello! I am new to posting, but not new to reading Talking Point. I have learned so much from your wisdom, laughed at your funny stories, cried at your sadness, and my heart goes out to those of you in despair.
My Mum has dementia. I live over 500miles away. I am guilty of being an invisible and of helicoptering. My excuses? Big brother ended up back with Mum because his wife threw him out for being a boozer. I don't blame her. Mum did her best but the two of them ended up drinking and smoking all day. I was the goody two-shoes spoiling their happiness with my disapproval when I visited. Unsurprisingly, neither of them has faired well. After a challenging 2 years of multiple visits, I took a break to stay with Mum in our old family home.
To be fair to my brother, he did get her to the memory clinic, but she is high functioning. I disbelieved him at the start because I felt she needed to be sober before an accurate test could be done. I now understand 'hostess mode' that Mum greeted me with whenever I visited.
My stay with Mum taught me a lot about how Mum is now, what she will join in with (NOT dementia friendly activities), and that she cannot manage alone. I have never experienced as much anger at my brother as I have in the past 2 years. I researched carers for the self-funding and, when the window of opportunity arrived with brother's emergency hospital admission, I started to engage carers. Again to my brother's credit, he has remained sober and so has Mum. I have included him in the planning of carers, and funding. We have joint POA for finance, not joint and several as he has proven to be untrustworthy with her money.
Homesickness, missing my very understanding hubbie and children, has brought me back to my home and I am about to return to work. My new motto - "hope for the best, prepare for the worst".
With carers in place, and rejigging my work pattern to give me a 3 day weekend, I am hoping to joint manage the situation alongside my brother. I don't want to return to fire-fighting and rushing to Mum's every time I think there is a problem, but I am wary of my brother having a relapse. I hope to use the eyes of the carers to watch for problems, and I will try to visit routinely every month, but have space in my job plan to come sooner but in a more controlled way.
Time will tell if I can sit on my hands and not rush back to check on Mum!!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Please stick to your plans; I have been helicoptering in & made a rod for my own back. Your family need you & care plans can be increased.
A real case of do as I say not as I did I’m afraid! My personal experience is not that positive ....

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Turkish Delight and welcome to the forum. You are in the right place for information and support.

Whilst you can learn lots from threads on the forums, there is a publications list that covers all issues related to dementia and, in case you haven't found it already, you can find that with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

You can also do a post code check for support services in the area by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

Now that you have started posting I hope you can keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Turkish Delight

Oct 28, 2019
Thank you @karaokePete , a lot of leaflets and I can see me sifting through a lot of them as and when the time arises.
Desperate of devon - I heed what you are saying. It is so easy to be sucked into the whirlpool of rushing in to help. I have done a lot of driving, my car knows how i feel, and i am getting to be a pro on motorways in Britain.
My brother will bear the brunt of caring by default of his lifestyle "choices" , and i do hope he can cope. Geography is against me, but i have learned from you lovely people that i must keep myself strong so that i can help Mum and bro.

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Hi, Turkish Delight,
Caring from a distance brings its own problems. I know how stressful it can be driving up and down the motorway, then being away from your own home and family for extended visits. I definitely recommend getting careers in, looking into organising day centres and food deliveries so you can help your mum and brother whilst still keeping your own life on track. I took over doing lots of the paperwork for mum to relieve my sister as she works full time as well as helping mum at the weekends. This helped the pressure on her. Hope all goes well

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti