How many POA copies??

leslyz

Oct 24, 2015
Hi,
I'm just in the process of getting some copies of the POA so I can get in touch with mum's bank, building societies etc. I've found a solicitor who will do it for £25 a copy, but I'm wondering how many copies to get. Am I going to need separate ones for each and every organisation I contact or is it normal practice for organisations to return your copy? I was originally thinking maybe just 3 of the financial and 1 or 2 of the care ones.
any advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I had 2 of each and if I could present the original with myself at High St institutions such as bank, building society I asked them to photocopy the original while I waited and checked all pages were handed back to me. If I had to post...never the original ... a certified copy I sent by signed for post and asked in a covering letter and a note paper clipped to the copy that they were returned the same way. They were usually posted normal post instead but I did always get them back.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi,
I'm just in the process of getting some copies of the POA so I can get in touch with mum's bank, building societies etc. I've found a solicitor who will do it for £25 a copy, but I'm wondering how many copies to get. Am I going to need separate ones for each and every organisation I contact or is it normal practice for organisations to return your copy? I was originally thinking maybe just 3 of the financial and 1 or 2 of the care ones.
any advice gratefully received.

Thanks.
Pop to the job centre.They will do it for free and it will be a certified copy.I had for for financial.I have 4 copies.

Lirene

Sep 15, 2019
Banks and building societies will accept certified copies, they will copy and hand back to you the ‘original certified copy’. I did this less than a month ago. Do please bear in mind that every page needs to be certified, and also that the original must not be marked or altered in any way whatsoever.
The Solicitor who did the original POA’s should have given a couple of certified copies of each, as did ours, in with the bill he charged for doing them in the first place. Our Solicitor has the original POA’s for safekeeping.
Hope this helps xx

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Each of us three attorney's had one copy each of the P&F and H&W LPA's certified by mum's solicitor.

I then photocopied the solicitors certified copy myself, so that we had several to use and every time we had to supply a copy, sent one of my p/c's with a p/c of the solicitors letter stating that she holds the original's.
Generally every institution will then make their own copy and send your copy back to you.

The only instance where a copy was not returned was when selling mum's house and the buyers solicitor kept our copy for their records. We didn't complain as it was a copy I had made from the original certified copy.
An awful lot of copying which paid off and by including a copy of the solicitors letter, we had no real problems.

leslyz

Oct 24, 2015
wow, you guys are good!! Thank you so much for your speedy responses. I have heard of all the different possibilities of getting copies, but it seems a bit hit and miss and I think since I've already got the appointment booked will stick with the solicitor. We did the POA ourselves so this is the first time of using a solicitor. I guess I'll get a couple of each - as it appears each organisation should do their own copy and send my "certified original" back anyway. Thanks for the advice about taking in the original as well and getting them to copy and give back there and then.
I never fail to be impressed by this website and the help out there - thanks again :) x

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I scanned the certified copy so I now have it on my computer, I can print a copy off very quickly if necessary. Some organisations, eg mums energy, phone and insurance company asked me to email the POA to them which is easy to do now. Her bank wanted the original which was photocopied by them while I was there.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
It depends on how often you think you will need to use it, but I would get more than 'a couple'. I got six when I first started using the financial LPA about four years ago. They have all disappeared into the ether and I am starting on a second batch. My mother's solicitor charges £25 too - but they are all absolutely 'correct' have always been accepted (it's not unknown for institutions to refuse copies which are not solicitor-certified).

In theory the copies all get returned to you - only, they don't. It's fine if you are taking it into the bank/accountant personally, they scan it and hand it back to you. But if you need to send them out in the post I find they get returned at the rate of about 1 in 2. I've just been compensated for a shredded LPA by a financial institution, the cost of the LPA plus £100 - I'd rather than had just returned it!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne2024