Dad comming home

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
Dad comming home Thursday got slight memory loss due to his stroke how the best way to stop him from using the gas stove while I'm asleep or doing other stuff around the house as I cant keep eye on him 24/7 plus I'm also in charge of the medication he has to take plus visit my mum and his wife Down care home as well so if I go can I leave him on his own any advice would be appreciated thanks

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
We were able to get a gas cut off valve fitted free by the gas supply company, this means the gas cooker has no gas supply unless we use a key to turn it back on. Mum cannot use it unsupervised.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
We were able to get a gas cut off valve fitted free by the gas supply company, this means the gas cooker has no gas supply unless we use a key to turn it back on. Mum cannot use it unsupervised.
I was going to suggest this too. I would also recommend that his medication goes into a lockable cupboard and he doesnt have access to the key, so that he cant take medication himself.

Im afraid that it is very difficult to stop people who have lost the understand of the difference between day and night getting up and doing things at night. All you can do is make sure that he cant get to things that would be unsafe. Is he on his own at night, or do you live with him? Im afraid that mums nightly activities (especially going out at might inadequately dressed) were a main reason for her moving to her care home. She continued to wander around the home at night until she lost her mobility.

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
Got a guard for the gas cooker and got child proof knobs on the way. Dad got antibiotics for his leg know as we'll keep txt me during the night also worried about his wife as he can no longer feed her but carers are looking after her. Comes home today no longer can drive does seem to know more and can txt way better than a week ago I can't drive so I got his keys locked away dad had about a whole carry bag of medication when he went in to hospital so don't know what the amount he bring back having a wife with dementia won't help
Thanks