My partner still wants to work, what options are available for him?

eggmazza

Oct 26, 2019
My partner has recently been diagnosed with early on set Alzheimer's, but he is still very coherent and capable of writing / reading / proofreading etc. He worked in finance during his life but now is looking for something that can use his English skills. Is there anything that he could do or any companies that hire people with his condition? We all still think it is possible and are not pushing him in any way to do this, he just really wants a job and to have a routine. Any advice please?

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Welcome to DTP @eggmazza.

My husband continued to work for 4 years after diagnosis he was 62 when diagnosed. He managed with the help and understanding of the people who worked for him and using lots and lots of notebooks. It was not a career change for him though, it was still all familiar to him though sometimes he struggled, that’s where the men came to the rescue. I’m so glad we decided that they should know from the beginning so anything out of character in his behaviour was understood.

Hopefully there will be members who have experience of spouses/family taking on a different job and be able to give you some insight.

Look forward to seeing you post and joining us as you go forward.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
My husband was diagnosed young (58) and I remember how important it was for him to carry on using what skills he had for as long as he could - to have a routine and a purpose.

With him, it wasn't so much about earning a wage, but just being involved in things that mattered, gave him a sense of satisfaction - and had a useful end result for others.

As a result he went down the volunteering route and I recall that when I was helping him find suitable roles (most areas now have a volunteer service which lists a wide range of volunteering roles that need filling locally) we did come across various small, charitable organisations who were looking for people to proofread newsletters etc for them. If your partner were to find something similar it might well open up doors to some paid opportunities down the line, if that is what he has in mind. It wouldn't hurt for him to be able to put such experience on his CV.

Through a friend, my husband did pick up a little proofreading work which he was paid for - in those circumstances it was reading through dissertations for university students. Eventually it became a struggle though, so he turned to other useful things.

Good luck, I hope your partner finds a suitable opening in the field he wants.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I was going to suggest volunteering too. I work in a charity bookshop to keep my hand in with my librarianship skills now I've retired. We have a lot of volunteers with a lot of different abilities/disabilities and quite a few different roles as well. Any sort of volunteering would be something extra for your husband's CV too.
The other idea is Christmas work in a shop. The bigger stores have backroom opportunities too. I was considering John Lewis for instance and was going the backroom route as I'm deaf so I thought trying to deal with a queue of customers at a busy time might be tricky for me.

Lilstar

Aug 11, 2019
My partner has recently been diagnosed with early on set Alzheimer's, but he is still very coherent and capable of writing / reading / proofreading etc. He worked in finance during his life but now is looking for something that can use his English skills. Is there anything that he could do or any companies that hire people with his condition? We all still think it is possible and are not pushing him in any way to do this, he just really wants a job and to have a routine. Any advice please?

Lilstar

Aug 11, 2019
Hi, my oh was diagnosed with young onset early stage mixed dementia and he’s still building houses, as we where told keep active as long as possible, so every day he gets up and goes to work , mind we have just had the talk about big jobs possibly down scaling but he feels he has too keep at it that’s maybe why his scoring was still high.