Care Home shut to visitors question

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Took Mum to see a Residential Home today. It does have a nursing section as well as dementia. Arrived but on entry we were taken straight into an Admin Office and told the home was closed to visitors. They implied but did not state an infection. A few looks between staff. They said they would contact us again to arrange another visit. Is this something ‘normal’ or should I cross this home off my list. The home does have a good rating end of last year. Thanks for any advise.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
There was probably an infection and to be fair to the home, the odds are extremely high that it was brought in by a visitor.

My mother's home was periodically closed to visitors or at least, they asked that visits be kept to a minimum and only if necessary. This was due to various infections - colds, flu and gastric problems.

I think the home is being careful and as such I would keep them on the list.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mums care home was closed a couple of times due to infections. Even with the best will in the world it is impossible to keep the place totally free from infections and, as @Canadian Joanne says, usually they are brought in by relatives.

I wouldnt cross it off your list.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
An infection can be bought in by anyone visiting or working at the home and I would be pleased that they are showing due diligence in following a set procedure. Once they let you know the home can again accept visitors pop along to have a look. I looked at many settings, however never made appointments, I popped in unannounced avoiding meal times.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I'd keep it on the list too. My mum's home was more or less closed for a couple of weeks recently, but I was pleased they were asking people to stay away rather than spreading a nasty virus around

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Look at it this way: if your friend asked you not to visit them this week because they have the flu and wanted to knock it on the head first instead of infecting you or making themselves sicker, would you decide to never visit said friend again?

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Good point Beate. My Mum's care home has been shut to visitors twice . If they have a bug they have to close their doors until 48hr have passed since the last case occurred . Each time they rang to tell me in case i was planning the long journey to visit Mum.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
An infection can be bought in by anyone visiting or working at the home and I would be pleased that they are showing due diligence in following a set procedure. Once they let you know the home can again accept visitors pop along to have a look. I looked at many settings, however never made appointments, I popped in unannounced avoiding meal times.
I made sure to visit around meal times or just before so that I could see what the food was like!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
dad's care home 'closed' a few times ... however, every time there were warning notices clearly displayed, with aprons, gloves and gel for those visitors who insisted on continuing (there could be circumstances when visiting had to continue) ... I would leave ... a couple of times the 'ban' meant that the 'bug' was contained on one floor and got rid of quickly, definitely to the benefit of residents and staff

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Thank you @Canadian Joanne @canary @love.dad.but.. @LynneMcV @Beate @Sarasa for your advise. It totally shows my ignorance in these matters but I continue to learn with the support of TP. I guess they were indeed showing due diligence and they did ensure we cleaned our hands with anti bacterial cleanser on the way out. (They do have some for on the way in which as I previously worked in a food factory I always use anyway). Thank you all

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Look at it this way: if your friend asked you not to visit them this week because they have the flu and wanted to knock it on the head first instead of infecting you or making themselves sicker, would you decide to never visit said friend again?
Very good analogy- thank you

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Good point Beate. My Mum's care home has been shut to visitors twice . If they have a bug they have to close their doors until 48hr have passed since the last case occurred . Each time they rang to tell me in case i was planning the long journey to visit Mum.
The 48hrs is also useful to know. I guess I was just frustrated as we had done an 80 mile journey there. Fortunately the day was saved as I took Mum to a cafe I know that does very good ‘cooked breakfasts’ all day - her favourite meal

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
dad's care home 'closed' a few times ... however, every time there were warning notices clearly displayed, with aprons, gloves and gel for those visitors who insisted on continuing (there could be circumstances when visiting had to continue) ... I would leave ... a couple of times the 'ban' meant that the 'bug' was contained on one floor and got rid of quickly, definitely to the benefit of residents and staff
Thank you. From what they said it did seem that the decision had only been made earlier that morning. I still have so much to learn in that area

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife