Mum

Iamarshall

Jan 11, 2019
Hi all , havent been on for a while. Things steadily changing. Had care assessment , mum has too much money to qualify for their help, not that much more but owns home no mortgage etc etc. They did give some help though, we have rails fitted in bathroom , attendance allowance form being completed and didnt know about ct exemption. Mum dipped quite badly over last week, insisted on gp app as thought there maybe infection causing increases behaviour. Told gp about continuous calls, mum crying saying shes scared, not knowing what to do even though we went through it a 100 times. Gp says but shes not hallucinating so thats ok . Insisted on medical check, finally agreed to do urine sample and after listening to her chest sent her for x ray . I get so frustrated, all they want to talk about is why shes feeling scared... wanted to scream wouldnt you xxxxx be if you didnt know the day, time, what to eat or what you have to do ...

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
I have exactly the same problem and it would appear that until crisis point is reached its impossible to get any help! And by that I mean she will likely have to come to some type of harm before I get through to them!

You’re mum will qualify for Council tax relief. Most councils will allow you to apply on their website.

At least my mum is with me so she has someone to try and comfort her. I can’t imagine what that would be like if she was on her own. Mum was given Donepezil and it seemed to help calm her down. She also has lorazepam of an evening and has been much better. Do you have a mental health team at your Council they tend to deal with medication in our area and really know their stuff!

Good luck I really hope you get something sorted out soon!

Iamarshall

Jan 11, 2019
I have exactly the same problem and it would appear that until crisis point is reached its impossible to get any help! And by that I mean she will likely have to come to some type of harm before I get through to them!

You’re mum will qualify for Council tax relief. Most councils will allow you to apply on their website.

At least my mum is with me so she has someone to try and comfort her. I can’t imagine what that would be like if she was on her own. Mum was given Donepezil and it seemed to help calm her down. She also has lorazepam of an evening and has been much better. Do you have a mental health team at your Council they tend to deal with medication in our area and really know their stuff!

Good luck I really hope you get something sorted out soon!

Iamarshall

Jan 11, 2019
It is hard not being with mum everyday but im only down the road which is good. We speak everyday 2/3/4 times or more and im with her at least 3 times a week if not more. I worked from hers 2 days last week, the only trouble is i now know that she changes several times a day not just morning and eve. There are more periods of real helplessness than being calm . GP said about anti depressants , mums had them before but didnt make a difference . I dont think help is forthcoming untill like you say presented at a hospital , so sad

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
It is hard not being with mum everyday but im only down the road which is good. We speak everyday 2/3/4 times or more and im with her at least 3 times a week if not more. I worked from hers 2 days last week, the only trouble is i now know that she changes several times a day not just morning and eve. There are more periods of real helplessness than being calm . GP said about anti depressants , mums had them before but didnt make a difference . I dont think help is forthcoming untill like you say presented at a hospital , so sad

It’s absolutely disgusting that any one should have to suffer in this way. I found lorazepam worked quickly and made my mum sleepy at night. I also saw a difference quickly with doneprezol which made her think more clearly. Whilst they worked quickly it was short lived after a couple of weeks the symptoms returned and we had to start messing around with the dose. Had she got any medication? X

Iamarshall

Jan 11, 2019
Mums on lots of medication for her tummy, suffered for about 10 years now, very very thin , almost skelatal . Mum eats but it just doesnt stay in . No meds for Dementia as mixed type . Today shes almost ok , making herself a little roast (it comes prepared ) , if this was the first conversation of the day you would think she was only in very early stages, repeating etc , but alas its not