Really need some advice!

Emchic

Oct 19, 2019
Hi
As a family we are really struggling. My father (75) hasn’t been diagnosed yet but he is forgetting my mum daily now. It’s very hard but we can’t find any advice on how to handle it. What do we do when he can’t remember her and tells her to get out of the house or when he thinks she is someone else? Should we just go along with what he is saying or keep telling him what is actually real? He is seeing the doctor but no one is giving us practical advice and it is breaking my mum. I was hoping I could find help from people who have been through it. Thank you in advance x

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Emchic and a warm welcome to DTP
Maybe you need to speak to your Fathers GP or CPN sometimes a tweak with medication although not alleviating the problem will help

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Emchic and welcome from me, I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

If you have time to take a good look around the site you will find it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarydew