Drippy nose and dementia

linda4kat

Oct 29, 2017
My husband is 79 years old and has been diagnosed for 3 years with Dementia/ Alzheimer's. Several months ago, he began having a constant, clear liquid just drip...most of the day. Does anyone else have this problem? Can anything be done for the condition? It's mostly just an aggravation.Thanks, everyone.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My wife used to get a runny nose when eating, the explanation in lay terms was that her brain was confused which caused a runny nose instead of producing saliva when eating.

I know this is not much help in terms of prevention, does the problem increase when eating?

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
When my husband was started on medication over 5 years ago he developed a constant runny nose like you describe. After about two years I heard from others going through the same thing that it was a known side-effect of donepezil (aricept). I mentioned it to our consultant and he confirmed that sometimes this can happen. The runny nose continued for another couple of years, it wasn't a major problem compared to the benefits of taking the medication but then, about a year ago it eventually stopped. I have no idea why, because he still takes the donepezil. Maybe his body just grew accustomed to it - or maybe it never was actually caused by the medication in the first place.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Like Nitram, my mum has a runny nose when eating, especially if its a warm meal and usually in the afternoon.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
In my wife's case hot food was considered as the warmth can loosen the mucus, this was discounted after trials.
The message was as long as she was not sneezing just put up with it.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Don’t like this thread. I have runny nose, hopefully from sinusitis. I don’t behave dementia (yet, anyway). OH took donepezil for years, no dripping nose.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Don’t like this thread. I have runny nose, hopefully from sinusitis. I don’t behave dementia (yet, anyway). OH took donepezil for years, no dripping nose.

John has this and I was taken by surprise when a carer said to me it was gravity! He is more bent now and stoops over when walking so there might be a bit of truth in the gravity explanation.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Well yes, it would make sense. I lean forward a lot, especially when I only use one stick. It’s not so bad if I’m on two, or use a rollator.
One stick and leaning forward also gives me a bad back!

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
My OH had a constant drippy nose. I was told it was a side effect of his medication. I asked the pharmacist if there was anything I could do, as it was annoying him, and she said to just put up with it. The benefits of the medication far outweighed the aggravation of the dripping nose.

As he has progressed, he no longer takes medication and the drippy nose has stopped.

JigJog x

Lucianne

Jun 30, 2017
My oh has a dripping nose and is on Donepezil but I think the dripping started before he started taking the drug. I am relieved that there could be a cause, and also that it does sometimes just stop but that is no help to finding a "cure". We just have to suffer it.
Lucianne

Caregiver Jayne

Oct 19, 2019
My husband is 79 years old and has been diagnosed for 3 years with Dementia/ Alzheimer's. Several months ago, he began having a constant, clear liquid just drip...most of the day. Does anyone else have this problem? Can anything be done for the condition? It's mostly just an aggravation.Thanks, everyone.
My husband was diagnosed with Dementia 5 years ago. In the past 6 months he developed the constant drip of clear liquid from his nose. Dr. said to use saline rinse but that didn't help. He is on Aricept and Namenda for Dementia.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Both my parents have drippy noses when eating.Only dad has dementia.
The dentist has said that it is to do with the jaw being slightly out of alinement when eating..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet