Chairs

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Another day, another question! (Sorry folks!). So mum and dad will be here next week and I'm about to go get keys to the flat so I can make sure everything's all set up as much as it can be when they arrive.

One thing I need to sort for Dad is a chair/recliner (they will be sending across some furniture + personal stuff from where they are now but not everything). Dad is immobile and spends his day in his armchair. I just thought as we're getting something new we might as well get something that will work really well for him, seeing as he spends most of his time sat down.

Does anyone recommend a specific kind/brand/make/type of chair? Would a recliner be helpful to avoid bedsores?

As always, thank you!

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Kay111
I'm glad you managed to get the flat sorted!

I think a recliner is a good idea for someone with reduced mobility. My dad had very swollen feet and ankles from sitting around all day. The nurse advised him to put keep his feet elevated but he wouldn't...

Dad didn't have a recliner mainly because he lived on his own and I didn't think he'd remember to sit the chair up before he attempted to get up but I did have a look online and there seemed to be a good selection.

I'm sure someone will have an idea of which ones are best.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
When mum was at home we got her a riser/recliner from HSL as she had to keep her legs raised and struggled to get out of a normal chair. We took her to the shop and they could not have been more helpful. It wasn't a case of sitting in the first chair and that was it, the lady who helped us had been trained with dementia people in mind. The first thing she told us (on the side) was to watch mum's face, that would tell us if she felt comfortable or not, and she was right. Mum sat in a few chairs but her face said it all and it was the last chair that she chose. We thought we would struggle as the chairs came in different colours and mum was adamant as to what colour she wanted (it was the last colour that I thought she would opt for) and we also had it treated so we could clean it if Mum had an accident in it, and although at home Mum couldn't operate the chair it was helpful in getting her up and sitting her down.

If you have an HSL shop near you it might be worth a call in, I think that they did offer a home visit, but it was a longish wait from memory so we managed to get mum in a wheelchair and took her to the store. The chairs aren't cheap, but I worked on the adage of you get what you pay for.

Good Luck

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My wife had the one on the link below (no connection with the company other than we a customer) and I thought it was really good as she was incontinent, but prior to that I used to put a throw over it PVC isn't the nicest material to be sat on all day. From the look of it it's half the price of the "High Street" name mentioned and it cloth is ok they do one for under £500.
If he's totally immobile then something like the second link may be more suitable, my wife has something similar in the carehome but I'm not sure what make it is but because the footrest, seat angle and back can all be changed independently of allows for some repositioning during the day, one year in and no pressure sites yet.
K

https://www.ableworld.co.uk/chicago-anti-microbial-riser-recliner-chair.aspx

https://www.yorkshirecareequipment.com/p/seating/care-chairs/kinder-air-chair/

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Dad has a recliner but he has forgotten how to use it. I have to remind him 'put your feet up dad, pull the lever' so good idea but you may have to eventually remind him.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Dad has a recliner but he has forgotten how to use it. I have to remind him 'put your feet up dad, pull the lever' so good idea but you may have to eventually remind him.
The problem with manual reclining chairs is they require a fair degree of physical strength to operate and although they do decline they don't have the rising feature making standing easier.
K

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
My dad has an electric recliner which is easier to get to rise for when he needs to stand to get onto the Sara Steady.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Thank you everyone - @Bunpoots you're right about needing to lift the legs. Definitely some kind of recliner then!

@Kevinl - thanks for those links. Had a look at the 2nd one as dad is immobile now, and that kind of thing looks great. I think the link is for a kiddies version but I was looking at this which seems to be the adult version

https://www.apollo-ht.co.uk/product/Apollo Integral Care Chair

It's so expensive :confused: but I figure if Dad's going to be spending 12 hours sat down every day maybe it's the one thing we really splurge on?

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Sorry @Jale - also meant to say, there aren't any HSLs anywhere near me, I had a look. Wish there was, I could do with someone who knows what they're talking about!

annierich

Nov 11, 2015
Sorry @Jale - also meant to say, there aren't any HSLs anywhere near me, I had a look. Wish there was, I could do with someone who knows what they're talking about!
Are there any ‘mobility’ shops near you? Often they sell recliner chairs.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Kay111
have you a local Britidh Heart Foundation shop .... ours has a selection of electric riser recliner chairs at reasonable prices

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
@annierich - yes, there are a couple. I will investigate further, thank you!

@Shedrech - there is one but it's tiny. I'll see if there are others. I guess my question is (though I didn't realise it til just now), whether chairs are chairs are chairs (generally) and if you just find one that suits then go with it. Or whether it's the kind of thing that an OT would be like, no definitely don't get that one, get this kind etc. At the moment Dad's in his armchair most of the day and it has no special features but we can do better for him.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018

There is an ad on tele at moment that says they do home visits - it may be worth a phone call, forgot to say that mum's chair is electric with remote control so anyone can use it