Off to do assessment for a residential home for dad next week

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I have made an appointment to do an assessment for dad for residential care.Im hoping to put him on the waiting list.
I used to work there and dad goes there every month (against his will) to have a bath as he cannot have one at home or a shower.(cannot stand without gutter frame and cannot walk up into the shower cubicle.)
Apparently ,when he was there last week he was very irritable and short tempered.
I have run through dads health issues (declining diabetic kidney function now 38 egfr ,catheter,heart failure NYHA stage 111,vascular dementia and stroke)
She feels he may be on the cusp of nursing.( I have felt this for a while)
Plus,he had an bowel accident overnight the other night .
So when I come to do the assessment it is going to be fun..Not!

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
The thing you have in your great favour is, they know him.
The assessor will not have to ask a lot of questions, in front of him, you will have let them know the medication details before hand.
When father was assessed for his Care Home, I felt the lady more wanted to see him in his relaxed surroundings, to judge how he might fit in with the other residents, once settled.
It might still be better, not to make a "thing" of the assessment, it's just someone coming for a chat.

Bod

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I have made an appointment to do an assessment for dad for residential care.Im hoping to put him on the waiting list.
I used to work there and dad goes there every month (against his will) to have a bath as he cannot have one at home or a shower.(cannot stand without gutter frame and cannot walk up into the shower cubicle.)
Apparently ,when he was there last week he was very irritable and short tempered.
I have run through dads health issues (declining diabetic kidney function now 38 egfr ,catheter,heart failure NYHA stage 111,vascular dementia and stroke)
She feels he may be on the cusp of nursing.( I have felt this for a while)
Plus,he had an bowel accident overnight the other night .
So when I come to do the assessment it is going to be fun..Not!

Oh my lovely, it’s a difficult time .. you have been so supportive of my own predicament & immensely helpful - I don’t really know what to say.
So big (((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))

Another step towards the inevitable situation that at some point no matter what we do it’s not enough

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
The thing you have in your great favour is, they know him.
The assessor will not have to ask a lot of questions, in front of him, you will have let them know the medication details before hand.
When father was assessed for his Care Home, I felt the lady more wanted to see him in his relaxed surroundings, to judge how he might fit in with the other residents, once settled.
It might still be better, not to make a "thing" of the assessment, it's just someone coming for a chat.

Bod
Hi.Dad is not going to be there for the assessment.He went to the home last week for a bath so he would definitely decline to go again.
This homes residential requirements have changed as when I worked there they had some that were on the cusp of nursing.But no longer.
So I thought I would go through things with the manager before he was put on the list.They know dad very well but his needs are changed/changing.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
If you are going to be looking at other homes, then the less said to him the better. Until everything is definite, there is no real need to to upset him.

Bod