Over 75's to pay for TV licence

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
The BBC is going to start charging TV licence fees to over 75's and it feels justified in doing this. I feel that it is wrong for peole over 75 to continue funding a company that yielded £3.83 billion in 2017–18 in licence fees, of which £655.3 million was covered by government in concessions for over 75's

I was wondering how people feel about this. I am sure it won't affect some as they will be able to afford the fee, but others will struggle with this. TV for some people is one of their only vices in terms of wellbeing as they become more limited to remaining at home.

Does anyone have any vews on this?

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Personally I think it is a disgrace. For many old people the TV is all they have. Perhaps they should at cutting the wages of some of their so called stars first

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I agree with you both. It is what gives me respite, my husband watches sport while I read. I have signed AGEUK petitions etc.

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
I thought it was being means tested? In which case I think it’s fair. My fella’s Dad has 200k plus in savings and pensions but claims for the tv and the winter fuel allowance because he can not because he needs it.
As long as it’s means tested at a fair amount then I agree, if it’s scrapped for everyone then it’s unfair

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I understand you get an exemption if you claim pension credit. I am thinking about getting rid of our television as it is impossible to watch anything without a 2 hour argument about something my partner misheard in the maelstrom of presenter and pointless background / foreground noise they believe is actually atmospheric music.
Sorry for the rant.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I thought it was being means tested?

Unless there is a change of heart it will be, as is council tax, winter fuel payment is different, it is not means tested but cold weather payment is.

Not supporting any channel, why should anybody pay an annual fee effectively to the BBC if all they want to watch is ITV which I believe is financially self supporting in all respects?
If all BBC channels were made subscription (don't know how with present set up) it would be interesting to see what the fees would have be to enable them to continue with current schedules.

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
The government chose to move the cost of the free licenses to the BBC and now they are blaming them for ending it for all except those on pension credit. It was a government decision and it is a huge % of the BBC budget and they would have to close several tv and radio channels. The government should fund it

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
I understand you get an exemption if you claim pension credit. I am thinking about getting rid of our television as it is impossible to watch anything without a 2 hour argument about something my partner misheard in the maelstrom of presenter and pointless background / foreground noise they believe is actually atmospheric music.
Sorry for the rant.

My mother-in-law lost the capacity to even turn on a television. She had two but they were never used for 3 years. I wonder could I have argued she didn't need a licence, as she didn't know how to turn it on ?

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
My mother-in-law lost the capacity to even turn on a television. She had two but they were never used for 3 years. I wonder could I have argued she didn't need a licence, as she didn't know how to turn it on ?

Yes actually if she didn’t use the radio either you could’ve not had a license

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

Solution is to cut the supply wire off as near to the set you can get.

If TVlicencing query 'why no licence' invite then to come and look at the
dysfunctional set explaining what you have done and it is because the PWD enjoys looking at the inert TV.
The wire can be easily replaced later if needs be, the TV is not junk.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Yes actually if she didn’t use the radio either you could’ve not had a license

You can use a radio without any licence - true in 80s, no reason to suspect any change.

I was running a shop and wanted local radio as background, no TV.
I knew the radio licence had been discontinued, supposedly subsume into the TV licence.

After much toing and froing I got it in writing that although the TV licence included the radio licence if I did not want to use a TV I could use a radio without a TV licence as a radio licence did not exist.

At times like Christmas I also played looped tapes, drove staff mad even though they could supply the tapes.

The hoops to be gone through to allow me to legally do this where unbelievable.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My mum hasn't got a TV and I've advised them of this instead of a £zero licence. I was phoned to check this was still the case as this lasts for 5 years.

Had this discussion with a neighbour, and his comment was that he won't mind paying, like most houses in our area (we are much younger than most of our neighbours) he has virgin, and netflix and other subscription channels. He added he doesn't think he should get the xmas bonus or winter fuel allowance and these should be means tested as well.

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
Sorry I thought you needed a licence because when I listen to it on an app on my phone (bbc sounds) it asks if you have a tv licence
My mistake

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Just received a new free TV licence replacing the 3 year one I already have, this new one expires on 31st May 2020.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
TV licencing are pretty awful in my experience.
The pursued us, on behalf of my mother who was in a care home. Their argument was that care homes often didn't make the necessary arrangements. I felt this wasn't our responsibility. After a while they backed off. About as hopeless as the DWP who recently asked me -
"has your mother done any cash-in-hand work in the last six months"
They knew she has late stage dementia and is in a care home. I know they have to ask, but the mind boggles......the temptation to say "well, she did a few stints on the Brexit negotiating panel" was very strong. I resisted.
The joke here is on the DWP, not my lovely Mum....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA