Nursing home admin fees

Bud's Mum

Mar 18, 2015
Oxford
We have been successful in applying for NHS Continuing Healthcare after doing most of the paperwork and lots of research ourselves. Mum is in a nursing home. They have now told us there will be an “admin” fee of £50 for their part in the application. I think this is unreasonable and wonder what others think?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Congratulations on getting CHC for your mum. Personally I’d pay the £50. It’s a drop in the ocean compared to nursing home fees and I would not want to rock the boat.

But that’s just my opinion...

JBK

Feb 25, 2018
We have been successful in applying for NHS Continuing Healthcare after doing most of the paperwork and lots of research ourselves. Mum is in a nursing home. They have now told us there will be an “admin” fee of £50 for their part in the application. I think this is unreasonable and wonder what others think?

Diabolical, that's what I think. Sharks that's what a lot of these Care Homes are.
Most of them should be just called homes as the caring bit doesn't really describe them

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I agree...you probably shouldn't be asked or have to pay but the financial benefit of getting CHC is so substantial I would weigh that up against the £50 one off.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I think I would accept the £50 fee and pay it. Starting off on the wrong foot with the nursing home is not going to be helpful and considering the high fees that you will not have to find then I’d bite the bullet and pay it.

My husband had CHC funding for the whole four years he was in his nursing home.

Bud's Mum

Mar 18, 2015
Oxford
Thanks everyone for the input. Don’t get me wrong, I know how fortunate we are to get funding. I don’t think we’ll refuse to pay the admin fee but I sweated blood to help achieve the result, nursing home did next to nothing and weren’t even efficient, came to the meeting without notes etc. It’s par for the course I guess.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I too would accept the £50 fee, you don't know how much their evidence affected the CHC decision, main thing is that you have got CHC.

You don't say if you would otherwise be self funding, if you would be the home will most likely be accepting a drop in weekly fee.

CHC is subject to review, best keep home happy especially if you would be self funding, even if LA funded you could be asked to pay a top up if CHC stopped.

Bud's Mum

Mar 18, 2015
Oxford
Extra info: Mum’s been in the home for 16 months, paying privately. The home said months ago they’d apply for funding, but didn’t. We instigated the application.

Bud's Mum

Mar 18, 2015
Oxford
Diabolical, that's what I think. Sharks that's what a lot of these Care Homes are.
Most of them should be just called homes as the caring bit doesn't really describe them
I agree with you completely. Makes me cross that we shouldn’t ‘rock the boat’ or ‘get off on the wrong foot’ with the care home.