Residential Care Charges and Pre-Service Financial Assessment

Prop

Oct 17, 2019
Hi. I am looking for advice in relation to care home costs. I have owned our property with my mother for approximately 16 years. I gave up my rented accommodation with my son in order that I could move back in with my disabled mother and take a joint mortgage out in order that the house could be adapted so that she could live on the ground floor and have a bathroom also on the same floor. This year she was diagnosed with Alzheimers this year but has had it approximately 10 years. Now this is the difficulty due to her changing behaviour we could not change the mortgage and therefore still have an outstanding of approximately £99,000. The council have assessed her finances and have advised that they consider her value in the property to be £55,588.94 (but apparently this amount could change dependent on the sale of the property). I am 50 years old and on a low wage and do no believe that I would be able to obtain a mortgage to pay off the existing debt and borrow more to pay the council. Essentially, it means that we are going to be homeless. Do I have grounds to appeal this assessment. My son also lives in the house and was the main carer for my mother and could only work part time. She is currently in hospital and Social Services are looking for suitable accomodation. The council will not do a deferred payment on the property due to there being a mortgage on it. They also advise that on week 13 they will be looking for full payment for the care. What can I do? I gave up everything to look after her and make it safe and now I am not only losing my mother but our home too.

Prop

Oct 17, 2019
Hi. I am looking for advice in relation to care home costs. I have owned our property with my mother for approximately 16 years. I gave up my rented accommodation with my son in order that I could move back in with my disabled mother and take a joint mortgage out in order that the house could be adapted so that she could live on the ground floor and have a bathroom also on the same floor. This year she was diagnosed with Alzheimers this year but has had it approximately 10 years. Now this is the difficulty due to her changing behaviour we could not change the mortgage and therefore still have an outstanding of approximately £99,000. The council have assessed her finances and have advised that they consider her value in the property to be £55,588.94 (but apparently this amount could change dependent on the sale of the property). I am 50 years old and on a low wage and do no believe that I would be able to obtain a mortgage to pay off the existing debt and borrow more to pay the council. Essentially, it means that we are going to be homeless. Do I have grounds to appeal this assessment. My son also lives in the house and was the main carer for my mother and could only work part time. She is currently in hospital and Social Services are looking for suitable accomodation. The council will not do a deferred payment on the property due to there being a mortgage on it. They also advise that on week 13 they will be looking for full payment for the care. What can I do? I gave up everything to look after her and make it safe and now I am not only losing my mother but our home too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew2024