Malaga sunset's fine

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
It is 4.5 years since I was last in Malaga city at the end of a holiday to Cadiz with a wife who was already much diminished. I am here by myself this time. The city seems little different but so much has changed in our lives since then. It is in my nature to make the best of things, so I am. Last year in Peebles I was cold and wet for most of the 4 days I was there. This year that is not going to be a problem. Tempted by the fine weather and lovely scenery I almost certainly overdid what was supposed to be a short reconnaissance and leg loosener this afternoon. Tomorrow's route looks tough and may feel tougher but I know that, once out of the city, the good feeling that comes from just riding my bike will take away the loneliness that all whose partners have dementia will recognise.

On that trip to Cadiz we stood for a long time watching the sun go down over the sea. My wife would once have loved tonight's fine Malaga sunset too but sadly the small things that bring meaning to life are now forever out of her grasp.

20191015_200129.jpg

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
A beautiful photo @northumbrian_k. I can understand your sadness. I’m in Crete just now. On all of our travels Bill and I loved seeing the moon in all of its beauty. Last night I took this photo and was overwhelmed with sadness thinking of how much I wanted to share that moment with Bill.
5EC821EA-3172-4740-A494-A12C4AB0AF5B.jpeg

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
How I identify with both of you.

The appreciation of beauty is still there but when it isn`t shared with our special people the pleasure just isn't the same.

It always upsets me to think my husband missed special moments in my life.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
How I identify with both of you.

The appreciation of beauty is still there but when it isn`t shared with our special people the pleasure just isn't the same.

It always upsets me to think my husband missed special moments in my life.

I feel the same @Grannie G , missing things that we would have shared if we could is a sad thing and hard to unravel.

@Izzy that is a magnificant moon pic, very difficult to get such clarity at night

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I love both the moon and sunset pic. I share moon views with my son, he has always loved them. We (my household) all love a sunset, my favourite time for sunsets being in late August/early Sept when I am on a post work ride.

I am glad it is a lot drier than Peebles, posts from cycling friends on holiday ( on facebook ) indicate Spain is very hot for the time of year so keep hydrated tomorrow. Take it steady so you can enjoy the rest of the week.

Justmary

Jul 12, 2018
West Midlands
What wonderful photos. We went abroad last March and I realised on the way back that it wouldn't be happening again. But one day... Hope you have a lovely time.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
@Izzy that is a magnificant moon pic, very difficult to get such clarity at night[/QUOTE]

It was taken with my iPhone! I couldn’t believe how clear it came out!

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I may not have been ready for today's 55 miles and 5500 feet of climbing in 24 degrees C but I got round @jugglingmum

Tomorrow should be easier as I am heading to Ronda by train then riding back. Still plenty of climbing but the long descents should keep me cool.

Starbright

Apr 8, 2018
I may not have been ready for today's 55 miles and 5500 feet of climbing in 24 degrees C but I got round @jugglingmum

Tomorrow should be easier as I am heading to Ronda by train then riding back. Still plenty of climbing but the long descents should keep me cool.

Wow !!!that was some cycle ride ....oh to have the energy :( Enjoy the next ride A x

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
24C sounds warm after the UK, although I know it is often warmer than that when we are in France.

And that's a lot of climbing in that distance. Enjoy the long descents tomorrow.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
It has been even hotter since and a little uncomfortable for cycling. It is now my last night in Spain and - although I have thought about my wife and what she might have said and done if she were here - this holiday has helped me to focus on all the good times that we had together. I rarely hear the news when I am away so six days without mention of Brexit has been an added bonus.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I remember a similar feeling of remembering the good times and reconnecting with my OH in her absence when I escaped to Exmoor, Northumbrian_K. Good to read of your happy holiday.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27