Over night carer

Two Up

Oct 15, 2019
Hi,

This is my first post so ....hi there.

I care for my father who has moderate to severe Alzheimers and I am considering paying a friend to stay over night for up to 3 nights in a row. Which allows my family life to continue away from my fathers residential home.

I was wondering if anyone else pays someone to sleep over 'to be around' to keep an eye on things at night. How much is a suitable payment ? Do you pay hourly? or in a lump sum per night?

I really appreciate your experience in this regards.

Thank you in advance.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Two Up
a warm welcome to DTP
it is tricky when thd person you care for really needs someone with them at night but family don't live in the same house
I know some members have arranged live in carers and are employing someone to stay with the person they care for, often through an agency
you may want to think of the legalities of paying someone as you are effectively becoming an employer, it's not quite as simple as just handing over a few pounds

Two Up

Oct 15, 2019
hello @Two Up
a warm welcome to DTP
it is tricky when thd person you care for really needs someone with them at night but family don't live in the same house
I know some members have arranged live in carers and are employing someone to stay with the person they care for, often through an agency
you may want to think of the legalities of paying someone as you are effectively becoming an employer, it's not quite as simple as just handing over a few pounds

Thank you Shedrech,

I appreciate your input. Yes it's true we do become an employer and that is something to think deeply about. If only my father would accept his diagnosis. Life would be easier and he could live with us without the fear of living in a 'home'.

Oh well back to the drawing board.

Thanks once again.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi,

This is my first post so ....hi there.

I care for my father who has moderate to severe Alzheimers and I am considering paying a friend to stay over night for up to 3 nights in a row. Which allows my family life to continue away from my fathers residential home.

I was wondering if anyone else pays someone to sleep over 'to be around' to keep an eye on things at night. How much is a suitable payment ? Do you pay hourly? or in a lump sum per night?

I really appreciate your experience in this regards.

Thank you in advance.

My mother-in-law had a private care agency in the day . For adhoc overnight care, the agency charged £250 a night .
This was for uninterrupted sleep,far more charged if the carer was up dealing with my mother-in-law.

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
Hi @Two Up Its such a big decision to make isn't it, when our family needs overnight care. Its so easy to get caught up with them we forget we have lives/jobs/homes too!

I know you probably want someone you know looking after your dad and also someone your dad maybe recognises, but.......it can sometimes be easier for all if it is an agency. Firstly, if your dad doesn't get on with them, you can ask for a replacement, if the carer is unwell etc. you will also be sent a replacement. It can sometimes be tricky telling a friend they are doing something that you don't like, don't lose a friendship. Also, as someone mentioned if you employ an agency they are insured. This is so important.

Finally, you maybe able to claim some of the fees, but if you are just giving a friend cash every week there is no paper trail.

I hope this helps!

Jxx

Recent Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27