Oh blimmin eck - Housing Saga pt 2

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
So we found a flat for mum and dad to come to, back from France. Everything pretty much arranged, or so we thought - now the agents are asking them to fill in an online tenancy credit check form. Mum and dad's main accounts are french, but the credit form only accepts UK bank numbers. Have spent hours trying to get round this but no joy! Mnargh!

They do have a UK bank account but because it's rarely used they have no recent statements with them (and the credit form also wants this).

I'm totally stuck for what to do. I'd have them here with me temporarily while my mum gets a bank statement printed out but it's 3 flights of stairs just to get into the building and we only have one bedroom. My brain is totally frazzled and I can't think straight. What a stupid situation. Poor mum is really fed up, as you can imagine.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi @Kay111

Is is worth speaking to the agent and explain the situation (sorry if you've already tried this)? If they know the circumstances, then maybe they would be prepared to be a bit flexible?

Could your mum get an equivalent french credit check done and see if the UK agent would accept this?

Sorry but I've not got any personal experience to call on.

Good luck.

Amelie5a

Nov 5, 2014
Scotland
I just had a quick look online. There are certainly online credit reference firms that will do international checks.

Could you suggest the agents use one of those?

Your parents surely can't be the first international clients that the agents have encountered.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
@Philbo oh, i know. it's such a ridiculous situation, I'm not sure anyone will have an answer. I'm waiting for the agent to call me back but tbh I'm worried the landlord will now think we're too much hassle and pull out.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
@Amelie5a i told the agents from the start where my parents were, and i even asked when i first enquired what info i'd need so that we didn't have any last minute hiccups. he just this morning sent a link to a homelet check which is all automated online and has no ability to put an international account in.

i will suggest another credit ref firm - thanks for looking, i had no idea they existed tbh - but like i said to philbo i'm just worried they'll see it as too much hassle and pull out :(

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
@Philbo oh, i know. it's such a ridiculous situation, I'm not sure anyone will have an answer. I'm waiting for the agent to call me back but tbh I'm worried the landlord will now think we're too much hassle and pull out.

I looked on the Homelet website and there was a helpline number, so I rang it and asked about their system only taking UK bank account details. The lady said that the bank account field is not mandatory so you could still complete the process without putting in bank details?

Worth a try or maybe give them a call to discuss?

https://homelet.co.uk/landlord-insurance/tenant-referencing

Tel. 0800 035 8258

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
If you were willing to be guarantor for your parents would this help the situation? I’m assuming they can afford the rent and you won’t be left out of pocket.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
@Philbo PHILBO!!!!! Whoever you are, I could give you a big hug right now. The helpline said just skip it! Which is not what the agent said. Grrrr. I cannot believe I've just spent about 3 hours trying to see if I can get my parents to log on to UK internet banking to get a statement! (they couldn't). Thank you thank you thank you, am very grateful! In my panic I didn't even think to ask homelet themselves, just the agent.

@Bunpoots - yes, good shout. I will offer that if for whatever reason the credit check doesn't work. For some reason I have it in my head because they have no "income" as such it won't look as favourable.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
If the money is coming from savings another way around it is to offer to pay the whole contract (e.g. 6 months) rent up front. That should give your parents plenty of time to prove their financial viability.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
@Philbo PHILBO!!!!! Whoever you are, I could give you a big hug right now. The helpline said just skip it! Which is not what the agent said. Grrrr. I cannot believe I've just spent about 3 hours trying to see if I can get my parents to log on to UK internet banking to get a statement! (they couldn't). Thank you thank you thank you, am very grateful! In my panic I didn't even think to ask homelet themselves, just the agent.

@Bunpoots - yes, good shout. I will offer that if for whatever reason the credit check doesn't work. For some reason I have it in my head because they have no "income" as such it won't look as favourable.

I hope it all works out for you and your parents. It’s all too easy to get into the situation where “you can’t see the woods for the trees”?

It’s great that TP gives us all such a wonderful platform to share and support each other.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
@Bunpoots - good shout! I'll see what the credit check says too. It should be fine but you can't help but worry! I know mum and dad had a patch where they missed a few utility bill payments for water or something because dad had set up all the accounts and suddenly mum didn't have access to anything like that online when dad started forgetting things like that (and didn't tell her), and they only knew that payments were delayed when they got an angry letter in the post.

@Philbo yes it was all very stressful shall we say! definitely no woods being seen. thank you though, it really helped! What a great forum, I'm genuinely very grateful.