Losing mobility/ability to weight bare..

Ohso

Jan 4, 2018
My mum who up till last week could walk, short distances within upstairs where her room is and occasionally when mid UTI etc has even managed the stairs alone..when we slept etc.
If we were with her when walking we accompanied or assisted depending on how steady she was.
Anyway, last week she complained of painful ankle, yelping in pain and enough for me to call NHS who recommended ambulance who on arrival did lots of checks and were borderline to taking her to A&E for Xray but we all decided against it so GP gave painkillers....then after couple of days of managing to transfer from bed to chair/commode next to bed mum now complains both feet are sore and cant stand.
So to my question, for those with immobile/bed ridden PWD how did the transition from mobile happen, could mums painful feet simply be the next stage and she will stop weightbaring and become dependant on someone moving her?
She has suffered from arthritis her whole life but has been in remission for probably last ten years or so with no pains.
She winces when her feet are touched.
Probably not related but last week she was more lucid than she has been for ages but today ( after a lousy night) has all but stopped speaking.
Her usual routine is to be in bed apart from meals and personal care and probably at stage 6 of 7 on the dementia scale.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
It happened so quickly that I was shocked. Oh your mum will bounce back.... um no it’s a fluctuating situation that is steadily declining!

keep pressing for help & assessments I made myself a complete pain in the ****!

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
Something similar happened to my mum four weeks ago, she is still in hospital with no real diagnosis. She has Alzheimer's with "some vascular involvement " but I don't know exactly what they mean by that. Her Alzheimer's is still fairly early stage but if the vascular element is subcortical, that could explain what's happened. But no one is willing to commit to that diagnosis. What's more frustrating is that in the first week she was in hospital she somehow acquired a severe haematoma on the lower part of the same leg that has the weakness. She is on warfarin for artificial heart valves so that complicated things further. No idea if or when she will be leaving hospital.

rainbowcat

Oct 14, 2015
My father winces when his arms or legs are touched due to painful peripheral neuropathy.

As to weight bearing - he went literally in one fall from being able to take a few shuffling steps to not being able to weight bear at all. He was attempting to transfer to a chair, then he was on the floor, paramedics came and tried to pick him up and he couldn't stand up/weight bear. They carted him to hospital (who didn't X-ray anything) and 2 months later he's only able to weight bear for really short periods, literally seconds/enough time for a rotunda/turner to lever him 18 inches from chair to bed, but he's constantly shaking and his legs buckling during this.

Last edited:

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
My wife went into respite in late July and I walked her into the care centre. Her mobility had declined over recent months, shuffling more and needing help with standing up, climbing stairs etc.

After 2 days in there, she developed a large blister on the back of her ankle, which meant they put a protective booty thing on it to prevent making it worse. Visitors told me that they had witnessed them moving her around in a wheel chair, so I guess that didn't do much to maintain her mobility.

Then after 10 days, she had what they called a "bit of a seizure", was admitted to A&E and found to have a UTI.:eek:

Long story short, a week in hospital, no longer being able to weight bare or walk, she spent the next few weeks in an assessment placement and has recently moved to a nursing home.:(

I was anticipating that her mobility was always going to decline but the speed of the recent progression has been hard to deal with.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Im not from the UK, sorry for the novel :).

My Mum is 78, diagnosed with Alzheimers at age 71.
Mum has been in a care home 3.5 yrs.
Up until September last year, Mum was still mobile, could get in and out of bed on her own, in and out of a chair although much slower.
Still talking although sometimes not making much sense.
Still recognised us, still able to name us now and again.
I would have put Mum at a moderate stage.

She then developed a UTI, which for Mum always proves disastrous.
However instead of the usual aggression and agitation which we/carers recognised, this time Mum became excessively sleepy, unable to weight bare on her own, but could manage a few steps with help of two carers.
She was complaining about her back and wincing with pain on sitting and standing.
They had checked her for signs of stroke, and also arranged a portable Xray scanner to see if she had any fractures. Nothing, just a positive UTI test.
Mum was on anti bs, and pain meds and for the next month, she was now being assisted by two carers, hoisted in and out of bed. In a wheeled lazy boy during the day and at night having to be repositioned every 2 hrs. She couldnt even turn over in bed.
Then she slowly came right, until one day she surpised carers by all of a sudden getting out of her chair and walking on her own, although still unsteady.
She was still sleeping quite a lot, and therefore not eating as much and losing weight rapidly. Mum had been in Fortasip drinks for a while.

This pattern happened twice more over the next 3 months ( although no UTI but a chest infection) until it got to the point where she didnt recover and was moved from Dementia Care to Hospital Care in January this year.

Mum is now on a daily low dose anti B and paracetamol. All other drugs stopped.
Totally immobile, apart from crossing and uncrossing her legs in her chair, no longer talks apart from Aaaaha, Yes, No.
Only sometimes responds to her name, doesnt appear to recognise us at all. Sleeping 23hrs a day or awake with eyes firmly shut.
Needs total nursing care for absolutely everything.
Eating pureed or mashed foods only.
Every now and again she will seem to have a better day, a bit more alert. About 3 months ago she said my name :eek:
Now I would say Mum is at a severe almost end stage.

The speed of which everything happened shocked us all.
We still blame UTI’s for Mums rapid decline. We questioned Drs and Geritrician last year why Mum couldnt have been put on a daily low dose anti B.
Same answer every time, unless she had more than 4 in 12 mnths, plus she would build resistance to anti B’s.
Mums been on a daily anti B since January. No UTI’s, no colds, no chest infections in 10 months.
Mum is also the calmest and placid I have seen in over 4 yrs. At her worst being on anti psychotic Quetiapine for a year.

Last edited:

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Im not from the UK, sorry for the novel :).

My Mum is 78, diagnosed with Alzheimers at age 71.
Mum has been in a care home 3.5 yrs.
Up until September last year, Mum was still mobile, could get in and out of bed on her own, in and out of a chair although much slower.
Still talking although sometimes not making much sense.
Still recognised us, still able to name us now and again.
I would have put Mum at a moderate stage.

She then developed a UTI, which for Mum always proves disastrous.
However instead of the usual aggression and agitation which we/carers recognised, this time Mum became excessively sleepy, unable to weight bare on her own, but could manage a few steps with help of two carers.
She was complaining about her back and wincing with pain on sitting and standing.
They had checked her for signs of stroke, and also arranged a portable Xray scanner to see if she had any fractures. Nothing, just a positive UTI test.
Mum was on anti bs, and pain meds and for the next month, she was now being assisted by two carers, hoisted in and out of bed. In a wheeled lazy boy during the day and at night having to be repositioned every 2 hrs. She couldnt even turn over in bed.
Then she slowly came right, until one day she surpised carers by all of a sudden getting out of her chair and walking on her own, although still unsteady.
She was still sleeping quite a lot, and therefore not eating as much and losing weight rapidly. Mum had been in Fortasip drinks for a while.

This pattern happened twice more over the next 3 months ( although no UTI but a chest infection) until it got to the point where she didnt recover and was moved from Dementia Care to Hospital Care in January this year.

Mum is now on a daily low dose anti B and paracetamol. All other drugs stopped.
Totally immobile, apart from crossing and uncrossing her legs in her chair, no longer talks apart from Aaaaha, Yes, No.
Only sometimes responds to her name, doesnt appear to recognise us at all. Sleeping 23hrs a day or awake with eyes firmly shut.
Needs total nursing care for absolutely everything.
Eating pureed or mashed foods only.
Every now and again she will seem to have a better day, a bit more alert. About 3 months ago she said my name :eek:
Now I would say Mum is at a severe almost end stage.

The speed of which everything happened shocked us all.
We still blame UTI’s for Mums rapid decline. We questioned Drs and Geritrician last year why Mum couldnt have been put on a daily low dose anti B.
Same answer every time, unless she had more than 4 in 12 mnths, plus she would build resistance to anti B’s.
Mums been on a daily anti B since January. No UTI’s, no colds, no chest infections in 10 months.
Mum is also the calmest and placid I have seen in over 4 yrs. At her worst being on anti psychotic Quetiapine for a year.

Wow, the power of UTIs is incredible and very scary. Thanks for sharing this and it makes you wonder why they can't be on low dose antibiotics at this stage. So sad that they have to suffer one UTI after another :(

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
My mum who up till last week could walk, short distances within upstairs where her room is and occasionally when mid UTI etc has even managed the stairs alone..when we slept etc.
If we were with her when walking we accompanied or assisted depending on how steady she was.
Anyway, last week she complained of painful ankle, yelping in pain and enough for me to call NHS who recommended ambulance who on arrival did lots of checks and were borderline to taking her to A&E for Xray but we all decided against it so GP gave painkillers....then after couple of days of managing to transfer from bed to chair/commode next to bed mum now complains both feet are sore and cant stand.
So to my question, for those with immobile/bed ridden PWD how did the transition from mobile happen, could mums painful feet simply be the next stage and she will stop weightbaring and become dependant on someone moving her?
She has suffered from arthritis her whole life but has been in remission for probably last ten years or so with no pains.
Probably not related but last week she was more lucid than she has been for ages but today ( after a lousy night) has all but stopped speaking.
Her usual routine is to be in bed apart from meals and personal care and probably at stage 6 of 7 on the dementia scale.

My mum has not quite reached this stage yet so can't comment but just to say sorry to hear it x

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Gosh 4 a year, my OH has had 7 UTIs this year. 5 before he was catheterised and 2 since. He was retaining urine hence being catheterised. He appears to get UTIs now around every 11 weeks, so they have shortened the time between catheter changes to 10 weeks instead of 12 to try to prevent them. If it doesn't I'm going to inquire about low dose ABs.
He went into hopspital walking and came out having to be hoisted. He couldn't hold a cup or feed himself and had to be turned regulary. He is however now after 6-7mths being at home slow regaining some of his ability. He is no longer so vacant looking, is comummicating better, initiating his own decisions and needs and the best of all has over the lastt 2 weeks, after being doubly incontinent telling me when he needs the loo. He also walked about 20mtrs with a frame 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:

Ohso

Jan 4, 2018
Thank you for all your replies. I will just need to hope its a tempoary situation and that as the pain goes she regains the mobility she had as at the moment it is a struggle to move her from bed/chair/commode.

Primrose19

Nov 27, 2016
My mum aged 92 broke her hip after 2 years in a care home. She was mobilised and was OK walking a bit for a few months then suddenly seemed to forget how to stand or move legs and complained of pain. (I think I posted a similar question to Ohso at the time.) The physiotherapist said that she shouldn't be made to try and stand because of her arthritic knees which had been troublesome for at least 10 years. So she has been in bed for the last year as she can't even bend her knees now to sit in a wheel chair, occasionally she is transferred to a recliner chair but still in her room. She is currently in a fairly non-sleepy, chatty, eating ok phase but has been variable over the year, one hospital admission in May for a possible gastro infection, put on a drip and antibiotics and seemed much more lively after 10 days in hospital!

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Hi my mum is no longer mobile but is cared for at home by me,with care visits for personal care,she has a hoist to move her to her recliner,she's doing fine,so don't worry about getting to that stage when you do as there is support with equipment to help.It was quick with mum from shuffling to no mobility.
Has your mum got a profiling bed at home yet?

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
If she can pull herself up you get a Sara Steady.It can be moved from room to room as it has wheels.It has paddles on it which she can sit on whilst you manoeuvre her.

Mel17

Feb 14, 2024
Wow, the power of UTIs is incredible and very scary. Thanks for sharing this and it makes you wonder why they can't be on low dose antibiotics at this stage. So sad that they have to suffer one UTI after another :(
Similar thing happens to my mum,uti's seriously ruin her and we have to start all over again with hospital stays and delirium,then she gets better and the same thing happens,more uti's,seems to be a 6 week cycle 😔

Shirleyblue

Dec 17, 2023
Similar thing happens to my mum,uti's seriously ruin her and we have to start all over again with hospital stays and delirium,then she gets better and the same thing happens,more uti's,seems to be a 6 week cycle 😔
So sorry to read this. My husband has suffered from delirium in hospital. He’s got early stages of dementia but was in hospital for a TURBT to confirm bladder cancer, had his first UTI ever. Are Alzheimer’s patients more likely to suffer UTI’s and if so why?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Are Alzheimer’s patients more likely to suffer UTI’s and if so why?
Yes they are, for a variety of reasons - eg lack of hygiene (people with dementia are often reluctant to wash), incontinence or catheter wear and uncontrolled diabetes are more likely to cause infections. Also, as dementia progresses the systems that control the immune response decline

Janey B

Aug 15, 2019
Northwest
My hubby has deteriorated quite a lot over the last 6months. It has been a stressful time coping with each change but we eventually get there and on we go. I can see his mobility is going and worry about how I’m going to manage. He shuffles about and needs physical support to walk. Some days worse then others (That is apart from when sundowning and then miraculously he can move independently very unsteady though 😬)

OT have been amazing we have been given some aids and now have a hospital bed. Thank you witts1973 and TNJJ for your posts they have given me some reassurance that I may be able to manage and keep him at home even if he does lose his mobility. He is not a heavy man but with his dementia he is not able to follow instruction and help which I know you are all aware of and makes things so much harder.

Shirleyblue

Dec 17, 2023
Yes they are, for a variety of reasons - eg lack of hygiene (people with dementia are often reluctant to wash), incontinence or catheter wear and uncontrolled diabetes are more likely to cause infections. Also, as dementia progresses the systems that control the immune response decline
Thanks for this helpful information.