MS & MS Dementia

Sunshine2*

May 16, 2019
Hi, New to this. Have cared for my husband for thirty years through many illnesses including MS & Dementia and he’s only in his fifties. Struggling with his mood swings, shouting and banging his Zimmer frame and hitting surfaces, if I ask him to wash his hands after flushing the toilet. I usually walk out of the room and then he forgets it all. Best wishes to all.

Lirene

Sep 15, 2019
Bless you for your 30 years of struggle. I think some of us are angels in disguise, sent to help others - you are obviously one heck of an angel. Love and hugs xx

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hello @Sunshine2* welcome to DTP.

I'm glad you've found us. It definitely helps to chat, laugh, rant ...whatever. it's saved my sanity in many occasions being able to say what I needed to on here!

Sunshine2*

May 16, 2019
Struggling with his angry, shouty outbursts. Had drained his leg-bag and then he was off for the other. After 20 mins, I heard him shouting at the top of his voice and I had another sharp pain in my chest. He was shouting yesterday too. He’s getting confused about his leg bag and still doesn’t understand what it is all about, despite having to have help with self-catheterisation and leg-bags for 15+ years. Obviously, he’s been ill for 30 years with many illnesses including Aplastic Anaemia, a brain haemorrhage, epilepsy, Multiple Sclerosis, mini stroke and MS Dementia. There must be so much overlap with MS and Dementia. I am sole carer and do everything for him. So hard to deal with. Helps to offload here.

sadman67

Nov 7, 2019
so sorry to hear of your problems
my wife had MS, a mini stroke and was sadly diagnosed with alzhemiers in 2016. She too had similar outbursts especially when I was doing her personal care or changing her incontinence pads.

I came up with a sort of diversion plan where I would ask questions that she could answer and then carry on the discussion whilst continue do the care and this did seem to help at times but if all else failed I would just say I have do something and i'll be back in a minute and leave the room

but if it's making you ill you can ask for help whether for help from the health professional or the local council I hope this helps

Sunshine2*

May 16, 2019
so sorry to hear of your problems
my wife had MS, a mini stroke and was sadly diagnosed with alzhemiers in 2016. She too had similar outbursts especially when I was doing her personal care or changing her incontinence pads.

I came up with a sort of diversion plan where I would ask questions that she could answer and then carry on the discussion whilst continue do the care and this did seem to help at times but if all else failed I would just say I have do something and i'll be back in a minute and leave the room

but if it's making you ill you can ask for help whether for help from the health professional or the local council I hope this helps

Sunshine2*

May 16, 2019
Good Morning, Thank you for your reply. Sounds like you have a lot to deal with too.
He’s had nightly muscle spasms for many years, which shakes his entire body and the bed and snores very loudly and makes choking noises. So, not much sleep, although he sleeps well. He’s always cold and wears indoor sheepskin gloves for most of the year, despite the heating being on day and night! It’s like a sauna and he’s still asking for the heating to be put on! I have osteoarthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome and cervical spondylosis in my neck and spine, which is due to (in my opinion) many years of personal care and pushing him in his wheelchair. I have been told he is ageing me and should have been in a home years ago, but how do you put someone in one, in their fifties? I’ve tried taking him to activity sessions, but he doesn’t want to go again. Feel like life is passing us by...