Benefits when carer becomes involved

Ma May

Sep 14, 2018
Bournemouth, Dorset
my OH is very close to needing supervision during the day. Not really severe enough for a Nursing home. Does anyone know what benefit you would lose when a carer is brought in albeit paid for by social services as we don't earn enough or have savings? We currently receive PIP and higher amount of universal credit. He is 57yrs old and 1 dependent child and 2 non dependent children at home. I work full time. Finding the info on the internet quite hard to understand!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Ma May
as far as I know the benefits aren't affected by having home care visits ... the PIP is the benefit similar to Attendance Allowance for older folk and dad's AA continued throughout home care visits and into residential care, as he self-funded ... for care at home he'd have kept the AA even if funded by ghe LA ... indeed the AA was to help with his care ...
and I don't see why universal credit should be affected .... maybe that's why you can't find anything

Ma May

Sep 14, 2018
Bournemouth, Dorset
hi @Ma May
as far as I know the benefits aren't affected by having home care visits ... the PIP is the benefit similar to Attendance Allowance for older folk and dad's AA continued throughout home care visits and into residential care, as he self-funded ... for care at home he'd have kept the AA even if funded by ghe LA ... indeed the AA was to help with his care ...
and I don't see why universal credit should be affected .... maybe that's why you can't find anything

Thank you. I read somewhere a while ago that the PIP is paid to care home...I guess I will have to phone PIP for clarification!

the universal credit will reduce if he goes into nursing care because currently we get extra payments because he can’t work...

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Things are different between care in a care home and care at home. You only asked about the latter and there should be no loss of benefits.