Mum has gone,

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Ah, never mind my Stroke, my little mum died today at lunchtime. It was an absolute shock. No warning at all. She had fallen in the early hours, no major injury from that, but staff noted her shallow and rattly breathing, so called the paremedics. They suggested a chest infection and she should be hospitalised but the Care Home were concerned that if she were tranferred to hospital without supervision she would be off the trolley and disappearing down the corridor, so they asked me to visit and called the GP.

So hubby and I went to the Home, me being unable to drive cos of this stupid Stroke, and mum was clearly ill. Face as white as a sheet, clearly unwell in herself and this dreaful rasping chest.

By 1 p.m. no doctor had arrived, so they took mum downstairs to have some lunch. The rest is history. I don't know exactly what happened, staff have tried to tell me but were distressed. For whatever reason mum's heart stopped, there was no breathing and no pulse. The staff administered first aid and the paramedics arrived within minutes. They tried for an hour to resucitate mum to no aviail, but they would not tell me that until a doctor declared mum dead. We followed the ambulance to the A and E unit where I think she was dead on arrival.

I am not unhappy about it at all, just shocked at the suddenness of it. She was an old lady with an unpleasant future ahead of her had she lived longer. She never really recovered from the death of my dad in 2004.

I'd like her to have lived longer, if happy, but she wasn't happy, she was okay at best. I am still in shock. Comments appreciated.

Love

Margaret

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Dear Margaret - I am so sorry to hear about your mother. What a terrible shock. Having said that, though, I have to agree with you about the speed being a blessing. I mean to say, we would all like out loved ones to live as long as possible if they were happy but so often they aren't. And we know that this is a terminal situation. I hope I haven't spoken out of turn, but I know you have been desperately unhappy about her unhappiness.

Love

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Oh Margaret

I'm so sorry to hear the news of your Mum, it must be sooooo upsetting for you and such a shock.

I'm sure you must still be reeling from it all.

Sending love and best wishes to you and your family at this sad time.

You take care of yourself honey, love Alex x

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Margaret,

I am saddened to hear of your loss, and what a terrible shock it would have being for you.

Your mum is free now from all her suffering and may she RIP with your dad.

Deepest Sympathy
Caring Thoughts,
Taffy.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Margaret

Please accept my sincere condolences Margaret. I know how it feels when someone just dies without warning - it happened to my mother - she was gone just like that.

After the shock (which lasted for quite a while) I realised that if mum could have chosen a near perfect end for her, that was it! If she had lived to have received a diagnosis of the problem, it would have changed her life as she knew it and she would have hated it.

Sending my heartfelt best wishes to you.

Love

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
my thoughts to you

Margaret
Sending you our thoughts at this difficult time. Having lost both my parents in long lingering deaths and watching Ian's mum experiencing a living death with AD- a bit of me was relieved that your mum passed relatively swiftly- I don't want Ian's mum to linger if she is unhappy.

Our love to you and your family at this difficult time

Julie and Ian xx

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
My condolences Margaret. My Dad also died very suddenly, and although it was a shock I think it was the best way for him to go, given his circumstances.

Look after yourself and keep in touch.

jackie1

Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire
Dear Margaret,
I am so sorry to read about your mum. The shock for you and your family must be awful. But for your mum at least it wasn't drawn out. May she rest in peace.
Love
Jackie
xxxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Margaret

Please accept my sincere condolences on the loss of your mother. The way she died , although a terrible shock for you, was the best way for her, I`m sure.
I know you will have consolation in knowing she is peaceful now. The wanderings are over.
Please know Talking Point is still here for you.
Love xx

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Margaret

Thinking of you at this sad sad time. It will take time to come to terms with the suddenness of it all. Take comfort from the fact that your Mum is now at peace and no longer suffering.

Sincere Condolences and wishing you a speedy recovery from the TIA.

Love

Mameeskye

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Dear Margaret...

So sorry to read your news...what a shock for you.

But your little mum is at peace now.

Take care of yourself.

love gigi xx

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Margaret, Sorry to hear about your mum. A sudden death, whatever the circumstances, is always a terrible shock.

Turbo

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Margaret

Such a shock to read your news this morning, it must have been an even greater shock for you.

But as others have said, it's the best way to go, and your mum was obviously unhappy with her life as it was.

You must know that you have given her the best possible care, and she would have known that.

I hope you can relax now and spend some time looking after yourself.

Love,

hazytron

Apr 4, 2008
SOUTH LAKES
Thinking of you at this difficult time. Your threads have always been of interest to me. I don't believe in any circumstance, we can ever be prepared to deal with this kind of loss,we manage as best we can, take care of yourself.
Regards
Hazel