Blood pressure increasing by sitting up

iffi21

Jul 16, 2019
Hi,

My father has last stage AD.

He didn't have any issues with blood pressure. He had chronic low blood pressure, especially in the mornings.

In the last month, we noticed that his blood pressure started shooting up. Sometimes it would reach 200/100 and we started giving him a blood pressure med. One pill a day.

We soon realized that the blood pressure was only shooting up when he was sitting in a chair, and when he would lie down in the bed, the blood pressure would normalize within minutes. A blood pressure of 190+/90+ would come down to 130/60 in five minutes. Just to be sure that it is the sitting up that's causing the blood pressure to rise so suddenly we would make him sit up again and like clock work within half an hour the blood pressure would go up to 180-190 range.

I spoke to the doctor and he thought it was very strange. He referred the case to a cardiologist, who changed his blood pressure pills. But it didn't stop the phenomena to occur.

I have also heard that if you don't make the patient to sit up for 5-6 hours a day, the lungs get filled up with liquid.

Has anyone known a similar case, what can we do to help him, and is filling up the lungs with liquid true or a myth?

I'll appreciate any suggestions/help very much.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
That certainly is strange. My OH has the opposite problem - his BP is normal when laying down, but drops when he sits up.

Mojosho

Sep 13, 2019
Hi,

He didn't have any issues with blood pressure. He had chronic low blood pressure, especially in the mornings.

In the last month, we noticed that his blood pressure started shooting up. Sometimes it would reach 200/100 and we started giving him a blood pressure med. One pill a day.

We soon realized that the blood pressure was only shooting up when he was sitting in a chair, and when he would lie down in the bed, the blood pressure would normalize within minutes. A blood pressure of 190+/90+ would come down to 130/60 in five minutes. Just to be sure that it is the sitting up that's causing the blood pressure to rise so suddenly we would make him sit up again and like clock work within half an hour the blood pressure would go up to 180-190 range.

I spoke to the doctor and he thought it was very strange. He referred the case to a cardiologist, who changed his blood pressure pills. But it didn't stop the phenomena to occur.

I have also heard that if you don't make the patient to sit up for 5-6 hours a day, the lungs get filled up with liquid.

Has anyone known a similar case, what can we do to help him, and is filling up the lungs with liquid true or a myth?

Hi,

I have heart failure and my husband has too as well as late stage vascular dementia. We have both suffered with fluid build up in the lungs and both had furusomide direct into veins to help eliminate it. So it does happen and certainly lying down doesn't help eliminate fluid. I think that sitting in a chair apart from the position which does help the heart to pump but also you are more likely to see your dad moving his hands and feet and that helps the heart too. In an ideal world a little walk about helps but as in the case of my husband his legs are very weak and he is not at all stable so shortly he will be bedridden and I will face the same problem so my plan is to prop him up as much as I can and raise his feet a bit and hope it helps. I hope you get a lot of support.

Mojosho

Sep 13, 2019
I have heart failure and my husband has too as well as late stage vascular dementia. We have both suffered with fluid build up in the lungs and both had furusomide direct into veins to help eliminate it. So it does happen and certainly lying down doesn't help eliminate fluid. I think that sitting in a chair apart from the position which does help the heart to pump but also you are more likely to see your dad moving his hands and feet and that helps the heart too. In an ideal world a little walk about helps but as in the case of my husband his legs are very weak and he is not at all stable so shortly he will be bedridden and I will face the same problem so my plan is to prop him up as much as I can and raise his feet a bit and hope it helps. I hope you get a lot of support.
In