Richard has now gone

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
Sadly Richard died unexpectedly on Thursday. They suspect a heart attack, it was quick and he did not regain consciousness or suffer. I was arriving at the care home as the paramedics were with him, and was directed away from the area. Obviously I am sad and miss him terribly as the care home became a place I went to everyday to be with him. Selfishly I would have wanted him to be here a bit longer as he has picked up recently and was enjoying the live music, and especially the gospel singers. I must say after initial teething problems the home was a positive experience, where we had some good times together. from Richard's point of view it was the best way for him because swallowing was becoming difficult and I didn't want him to suffer.
I want to say that I have been a member of TP for many years, not always given enough back, but I am so grateful to everyone on here for their help and their stories and advice from TP's. This has been my go to place like no other as the understanding here is second to none. I could always find someone else with similar issues and advice. Thanks you all of you.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Words aren’t enough to convey or sympathies but on TP it’s all we have. Wishing you strength.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
At the start of our dementia tragedy, we tread in your footsteps. Richard has found perfect peace, your peace of mind will come from knowing he didn't suffer.

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
Thank you all for your messages, so kind and genuine I know. I will post again when I am more together just feeling very scared and alone for the future without Richard. Yes it was a tough journey and I know we lose the PWD slowly, but when the end comes everything seems empty with no point. No doubt i will find comfort here on TP in the coming months.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @padmag, sorry for your loss. Dementia is often referred to as the 'Long Goodbye' and although we know there is an end, it no less shocking to us than any other passing. I felt hollow, numb and 'shell-shocked' for quite a while. Take care of yourself.