Mum is going into care and will hate it

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Thank you you’re right but I don’t think I can do it.
I am so frightened about how they would arrange it. I have visions of them dragging her out and her begging me hysterically to let her stay and I think that will finally destroy me. Everyday is ground hog day it never stops I just keep praying she will have to go into hospital for a minor illness and I can refuse to have her home and it will all be over but I’m not sure that will ever happen. I’m going into hospital on Wednesday to have and operation on my foot, I have a double fracture that needs a surgical repair and I know when I get home it will be a nightmare because she won’t let me be and will carry on until I get up and look for her hand bag get her a drink find her remote control etc!
Can you not get a carer in?
Or arrange a family member to help?
I sometimes suffer with guilt looking after dad .I have done it for 3 years but it is now getting to the stage where he is no longer happy (he has always been a half empty glass person anyway) .The dementia has made it worse..
But I have learnt and accepted that I can do no more.

I’m not able to make him walk,younger and better.He is not able to accept his body’s failings.But that is not my responsibility.Nor is it my fault.

Possibly your mum feels very similar to dad.BUT whatever happens in future to your mum is NOT your fault.

Dad doesn’t want to go into a home either and I’m trying to keep him at home for as long as possible.BUT if it comes to it for his own safety I will support him to go into one.
YOU need to take care of YOU! You are unique.Listen to canary!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Thank you you’re right but I don’t think I can do it.
I am so frightened about how they would arrange it. I have visions of them dragging her out and her begging me hysterically to let her stay and I think that will finally destroy me. Everyday is ground hog day it never stops I just keep praying she will have to go into hospital for a minor illness and I can refuse to have her home and it will all be over but I’m not sure that will ever happen. I’m going into hospital on Wednesday to have and operation on my foot, I have a double fracture that needs a surgical repair and I know when I get home it will be a nightmare because she won’t let me be and will carry on until I get up and look for her hand bag get her a drink find her remote control etc!

No ones dragging her anywhere, my Mum has gone into respite care & loves it ! Mind you it is five star hotel like & she’s being spoilt rotten!

Honestly I was in bits about it but it’s alright.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
No ones dragging her anywhere, my Mum has gone into respite care & loves it ! Mind you it is five star hotel like & she’s being spoilt rotten!

Honestly I was in bits about it but it’s alright.

There is no way she would go willingly. So how would she get there?

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Hi @Rosserk , I remember talking to you early July about this , I am sorry to hear the situation is no better :( what would happen to your mum if you were hospitalised for weeks ? I know it is a ridiculously hard decision and I feel for you immensely , BUT you have to do what is right for you now, your mum will not get better as you know , she may even thrive in the right home . Please please seriously consider it , the staff would surely be able to help in getting mum in the door or could hubby/and or son do it ? You are going to need to recuperate without having to care for someone else , it’s not a sustainable situation , try and step back and see what you would say to someone else in the same situation. I hope this doesn’t upset or offend you but I too am concerned about you . Wish you a speedy recovery. Take care

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Hi @Rosserk , I remember talking to you early July about this , I am sorry to hear the situation is no better :( what would happen to your mum if you were hospitalised for weeks ? I know it is a ridiculously hard decision and I feel for you immensely , BUT you have to do what is right for you now, your mum will not get better as you know , she may even thrive in the right home . Please please seriously consider it , the staff would surely be able to help in getting mum in the door or could hubby/and or son do it ? You are going to need to recuperate without having to care for someone else , it’s not a sustainable situation , try and step back and see what you would say to someone else in the same situation. I hope this doesn’t upset or offend you but I too am concerned about you . Wish you a speedy recovery. Take care

Hello and thank you for taking the time to respond to my post, I am certainly not offended.

I am dreading my operation because I know things are going to be bad when I’m laid up and can’t get up and about. My mum doesn’t retain information for more than a few seconds at a time so she will be relentless she won’t be able to stop herself. She wants me all the time and doesn’t settle for anyone else it’s like having a two year old constantly demanding my attention, she’s not satisfied if someone else gets her a drink she wants me to do it. I will also be a sitting target because I won’t be able to get up and go somewhere else. I think she’s picked up on how stressed I am because she’s stayed out of my way today which makes me feel sick with guilt. I then lay awake all night thinking of things I can do better because she must be incredibly lonely even though there’s a house full of people. It’s impossible to engage with her because any type of conversation seems to make her worse it’s like poking a bear. I think it’s because she can’t follow what we are saying so she goes on the attack and can be nasty or gets upset, everyone avoids talking to her and just answer her questions.

Mum was assigned a mental health worker who I think might help me but she’s on holiday and not back until the 2nd of October. I have her email address so I will try and explain things to her and see if she can come up with some ideas of what can be done. She’s met mum twice and agrees she is hard work.

Thanks again for your kind response
Kindest regards

X

Jmhort

May 13, 2016
Accrington
The more I read about other people dithering about selling the house of the patient with Alzheimer’s once they go into care I think, spare a thought for my dilemma. My wife will be 65 next April and has had Early-onset Alzheimer’s since 2010, little things at first like forgetfulness and asking the same question repeatedly and getting lost occasionally. She went downhill after a fall very quickly after a fall while in Ireland, in 2012, breaking her arm at the shoulder. She is at a stage now where she has lost the power of speech, she is unable to read and write and can no longer stand or walk, she is unable to dress or wash and requires help with more or less everything else; a full-on care package which I, at the age of 75, am the full-time carer. My problem comes about because we did not plan on getting old so soon. I failed to get POA before my wife lost competence; forcing me to apply to the Court Of Protection to become her Deputy with all the added expense and paperwork that that entails on an annual. The house we live in, for reasons too long to fully explain, is in her sole name. If the time ever comes that I can no longer manage to care for her she will be forced into a care home the and COP will take the capitol from our home to cover her care home cost; making me homeless and penniless in the process. I haven’t had a holiday or a day off for over four years and dread the time that I may also face spending my last days in a care home funded by the state.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
The house we live in, for reasons too long to fully explain, is in her sole name. If the time ever comes that I can no longer manage to care for her she will be forced into a care home the and COP will take the capitol from our home to cover her care home cost; making me homeless and penniless in the process.

That won't happen if you continue to live in the house, regardless of whether it is in your wife's name or not, as the property will be disregarded within your wife's financial assessment:

Property and the financial assessment for care home fees

If you own your own home, this may be included in the financial assessment to determine who pays your care home fees.

However, your home will not be taken into account if one of the following people also lives in the property, and will continue to live there after you have moved into a care home:

• a husband, wife or civil partner
  • a close relative over the age of 60
  • a dependent child
  • a relative who is disabled or incapacitated.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/legal-financial/who-pays-care

Please be assured that you will not be made homeless if you continue to remain living in your house if your wife went into care.

Daughter3975

Jun 25, 2019
Dear everyone,

Firstly, thanks so much for all the replies to my original post. I've been relentlessly busy since I posted, moving mum into the home and then sorting and clearing her house and moving all of her stuff into storage. And working too. It's been tough, physically and emotionally, but while I didn't have time to log in and reply, I did read your posts and they were a huge help. This forum is so supportive and I really, really appreciate it.

In that spirit, I just thought I'd post an update on what it's all been like, in case anyone else finds that helpful. I could post separately about how I found and booked the care home but the short version is that the councils and social workers didn't make life easy - especially since mum was moving to a new area. But she's self funding and I found this place through google and booked direct, having checked out a few and this feeling like the nicest one.

Quick recap: mum was selling her house in Hertfordshire to move closer to me and my family, her grandchildren, even before her mixed dementia diagnosis earlier this year. We had to sell really quickly suddenly last month, or risk breaking the chain and having to start again. So mum's move into the retirement home was meant to be/may be, temporary. Because of that, mum didn't put up a fight about going in, she was just glad to be getting out of the house and moving nearer to us at last.

I dreaded the day of her move, however packing was relatively easy (they told me to pack as if she was going on a 2 week holiday, which worked well) and she literally didn't look back at the house she's lived in for 40 years or seem even remotely sad about leaving the lovely village she raised me in. We drove to London and she asked several times why she couldn't just move in with me but seemed to understand that it would be tricky with all our stairs and boring during the day with the house empty while we were at school/work/nursery. We went for lunch near the home and it took so long I realised I'd have to pick my kids up from school and have them with us when we moved her in, which I thought was going to be a disaster - they are 4 and 2 and I worried they would at best be a massive distraction and at worst possibly witness Granny being upset.

But actually, they made it quite fun. They loved running around the place, meeting all the staff and residents and all the available biscuits. Mum's room has a hospital bed that can be raised up and down with a remote control and the kids think it's the most fun thing ever. So the fact that they thought it was fun made Mum look at it differently I think. We talked it up like it was a hotel.

However the next afternoon when I went to see her she was a bit gutted about it - she was and is pretty disturbed by many of the residents sitting around in the lounge, basically asleep all day. And I think some of the dementia patients are a bit further along and shout or cry for help in a way that mum finds pretty distressing. She cannot cope with the idea that she belongs in there with them at all and so has avoided joining in any of the activities, which is a shame because actually I think the group is more mixed than she realises.

In any case, I've been feeling hugely guilty about it all and wondering if I've put her into a place she's just not ready for, arranging visits from friends most days and going along myself most days too so she can see friendly faces and go out for a walk. This isn't sustainable, of course, but either she'll settle in or we'll come up with another plan. I have to say along with the guilt I've also had the happier sensation of being able to relax knowing she is at least physically safe, cared for and cleaner than she has been in a while. Her clothes are fresh and yesterday she had her hair done, which she was really happy about. She looks more like herself than she has for a year.

I've been thinking that maybe with a few weeks of this support she'll get back on her own feet a little, and today I had a chat with the nurses about how maybe she doesn't need residential care, and maybe she could go into extra care sheltered housing, or something like that for a while. The carers and I booked some time to talk about it properly next week, and then I took mum and the kids out for dinner.

Later, while we were leaving the restaurant, mum got into a panic, saying she couldn't leave without me (using my name, but as if she was talking to someone else about me). I was pretty shocked because it's the first time she has been confused about who I am. It took a good few minutes for her to come to the car with us, but even when she did she kept saying she shouldn't be leaving without the children's mother. I'm gutted. Maybe the upheaval of the move has provoked a further decline, maybe she was just very tired and it won't mean she can't be more independent but we'll work that out later and, either way, I feel like at least I'm not worried about whether she's safe where she is when I go to bed tonight.

It has made things easier in some ways and harder in others. But for now I think I'd rather she was a bit upset about being with people she considers older and sicker than her but completely safe; than happier but at any physical risk.

This post has turned out long, again, but I'm posting in the hope it might help someone out there trying to make or live with tricky decisions. Your posts have all been a great help for me. Thank you again and hugs to you all.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi, @Daughter3975 , Im so pleased that you have managed to find a nice home for your mum and that she moved in without too many problems. Im sure your childrens sense of fun helped enormously - my mum would always pick up and mirror my moods. If I went in with an upbeat attitude she would be happy, but if I was upset or anxious she would pick it up and would be upset and anxious too.

Its always a shock the first time that they dont recognise you, but your mum might have just been tired. She is coping with lots of trips out, people visiting and trying to learn the homes layout, routine and staff. It must be exhausting for her. You might want to lay off so much activity for a while, so that she can rest and relax. Im not saying dont visit, but maybe step back for a while. Its still early days, so dont worry that your mum isnt joining in with the activities - Im sure the staff will coax her downstairs in a while. I think every PWD thinks that all the other residents are much older and more peculiar than them when they first move in, so dont read too much into it. It will be interesting to see what the manager thinks.

Knowing that they are safe is absolutely invaluable.
xx

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Thank you for letting us know how you got on. It sounds out like the move worked out really well, with your children along to make things feel cheerful and fun.

However the next afternoon when I went to see her she was a bit gutted about it - she was and is pretty disturbed by many of the residents sitting around in the lounge, basically asleep all day. And I think some of the dementia patients are a bit further along and shout or cry for help in a way that mum finds pretty distressing. She cannot cope with the idea that she belongs in there with them at all and so has avoided joining in any of the activities, which is a shame because actually I think the group is more mixed than she realises.

My mother was like this for a few weeks, she didn't join in at first, which isn't surprising as it is a huge change from living alone. It takes some getting used to. My mother joins in now with things she finds enjoyable - e.g. the weekly music for health sessions, visits from choirs - and a petting zoo (which is happening again next week and I'm going, can't wait to see this!) However she more or less ignores the morning craft sessions. It isn't something she was ever interested in, so she just pops over to watch from time to time.

When she first went into the CH I too thought all the other residents were 'worse' than her and I'd moved her too early. It fairly soon became apparent that was not true though. The advantage of moving there relatively early, rather than at the last possible moment, is that the PWD can form relationships with the staff and get to know the place as their new home. After about two months my mother never mentioned her previous life, this is her real home now and she is content there.

This is a big culture shock for you too, but it will become to 'new normal' after you have been visiting for a while.

Feistywoman

Aug 11, 2018
Dear everyone,

Firstly, thanks so much for all the replies to my original post. I've been relentlessly busy since I posted, moving mum into the home and then sorting and clearing her house and moving all of her stuff into storage. And working too. It's been tough, physically and emotionally, but while I didn't have time to log in and reply, I did read your posts and they were a huge help. This forum is so supportive and I really, really appreciate it.

In that spirit, I just thought I'd post an update on what it's all been like, in case anyone else finds that helpful. I could post separately about how I found and booked the care home but the short version is that the councils and social workers didn't make life easy - especially since mum was moving to a new area. But she's self funding and I found this place through google and booked direct, having checked out a few and this feeling like the nicest one.

Quick recap: mum was selling her house in Hertfordshire to move closer to me and my family, her grandchildren, even before her mixed dementia diagnosis earlier this year. We had to sell really quickly suddenly last month, or risk breaking the chain and having to start again. So mum's move into the retirement home was meant to be/may be, temporary. Because of that, mum didn't put up a fight about going in, she was just glad to be getting out of the house and moving nearer to us at last.

I dreaded the day of her move, however packing was relatively easy (they told me to pack as if she was going on a 2 week holiday, which worked well) and she literally didn't look back at the house she's lived in for 40 years or seem even remotely sad about leaving the lovely village she raised me in. We drove to London and she asked several times why she couldn't just move in with me but seemed to understand that it would be tricky with all our stairs and boring during the day with the house empty while we were at school/work/nursery. We went for lunch near the home and it took so long I realised I'd have to pick my kids up from school and have them with us when we moved her in, which I thought was going to be a disaster - they are 4 and 2 and I worried they would at best be a massive distraction and at worst possibly witness Granny being upset.

But actually, they made it quite fun. They loved running around the place, meeting all the staff and residents and all the available biscuits. Mum's room has a hospital bed that can be raised up and down with a remote control and the kids think it's the most fun thing ever. So the fact that they thought it was fun made Mum look at it differently I think. We talked it up like it was a hotel.

In any case, I've been feeling hugely guilty about it all and wondering if I've put her into a place she's just not ready for, arranging visits from friends most days and going along myself most days too so she can see friendly faces and go out for a walk. This isn't sustainable, of course, but either she'll settle in or we'll come up with another plan. I have to say along with the guilt I've also had the happier sensation of being able to relax knowing she is at least physically safe, cared for and cleaner than she has been in a while. Her clothes are fresh and yesterday she had her hair done, which she was really happy about. She looks more like herself than she has for a year.

I've been thinking that maybe with a few weeks of this support she'll get back on her own feet a little, and today I had a chat with the nurses about how maybe she doesn't need residential care, and maybe she could go into extra care sheltered housing, or something like that for a while. The carers and I booked some time to talk about it properly next week, and then I took mum and the kids out for dinner.

Later, while we were leaving the restaurant, mum got into a panic, saying she couldn't leave without me (using my name, but as if she was talking to someone else about me). I was pretty shocked because it's the first time she has been confused about who I am. It took a good few minutes for her to come to the car with us, but even when she did she kept saying she shouldn't be leaving without the children's mother. I'm gutted. Maybe the upheaval of the move has provoked a further decline, maybe she was just very tired and it won't mean she can't be more independent but we'll work that out later and, either way, I feel like at least I'm not worried about whether she's safe where she is when I go to bed tonight.

It has made things easier in some ways and harder in others. But for now I think I'd rather she was a bit upset about being with people she considers older and sicker than her but completely safe; than happier but at any physical risk.

This post has turned out long, again, but I'm posting in the hope it might help someone out there trying to make or live with tricky decisions. Your posts have all been a great help for me. Thank you again and hugs to you all.
Glad that your Mum is in as easily as possible @Daughter3975 , sounds like the children were a great distraction. My Mum has been in a care home for 5 weeks now, like you I felt it was possibly too soon despite the fact she was wandering. It has however become quite obvious that in no way is it too soon, my Mum has declined quite a bit (not physically). She is safe which is the main thing and I’m hoping she will improve a bit when she settles. I know that no two people are the same so please don’t think I’m comparing Mums! What I’m trying to say is that it can be a bit of a rollercoaster ride in the initial stages but that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s the wrong decision. Hope that it goes well and that your meeting with the staff gives you some peace of mind.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katejacko