Hello! I’m new

Monkey3

Oct 4, 2019
Hi, I wondered if I am in the right place, myself and my family are caring for my uncle who has dementia and he has no partner or spouse. We are coping ok at the moment as he is Hospital but we are looking for advice for his discharge as he will never be able to return home and we are also having issues trying to deal with his finances which is quite critical as he has debts which are mounting up.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Monkey3 and welcome to DTP

Finances can become a very difficult area with dementia. Do you, or anyone else, have POA?

If not, would be still be able to appoint one? You dont have to use a solicitor, you can download the forms and get a friend of his to witness the signature. If he would not understand what he is signing, though, someone will have to apply to the Court of Protection for deputyship.

Monkey3

Oct 4, 2019
Hello @Monkey3 and welcome to DTP

Finances can become a very difficult area with dementia. Do you, or anyone else, have POA?

If not, would be still be able to appoint one? You dont have to use a solicitor, you can download the forms and get a friend of his to witness the signature. If he would not understand what he is signing, though, someone will have to apply to the Court of Protection for deputyship.

No-one has POA at this moment and we don’t think my uncle would sign for one, he is quite stubborn and thinks he can manage still but he can hardly communicate now as he can’t swallow or close his mouth due to a recent stroke and doesn’t remember where he lives. He does still have a lot of understanding in some ways. We have discovered he has a lot of debt and that one of his children has encouraged him to set up direct debits from his account to pay for things that are not for him (if you catch my drift). The errant son is now trying to stop any of us from getting involved in the finances and is fighting to stop us cancelling this Direct Debits. It’s hard to know where we stand but we have to stop the debt from mounting anymore.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forums from me too @Monkey3. Sorry your uncle is struggling following a stroke and there are financial headaches on top. Are the Social Services involved in his discharge?
The ins and outs of how to solve your problem are beyond me, but the national dementia helpline is always worth calling if you can't find the answers elsewhere.
National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Monkey3

Oct 4, 2019
Thank you, that is useful, I will call them next week. Social services are involved from when he was living independently but they will have to revisit once we know whether my uncle will survive this stroke. He now has pneumonia to boot so there is 50/50 chance of survival.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sorry to read of your uncle's pneumonia now as well, Monkey3. I can offer moral support to you and your family, and hope he pulls through.