Help.. Patient doesn't want to get out of bed..

Leticia.D

Oct 3, 2019
I've been a caregiver for 5 years.. this is the first time that a patient refuses to get out of bed in the mornings sometimes.. I get her ready.. she's already for her day.. then wants to go back to bed.. she will get out eventually.. does she just need more time? I get her at 9am... around 9:30 I start to talk to her to get her wake up.. HELP..

rainbowcat

Oct 14, 2015
I've been a caregiver for 5 years.. this is the first time that a patient refuses to get out of bed in the mornings sometimes.. I get her ready.. she's already for her day.. then wants to go back to bed.. she will get out eventually.. does she just need more time? I get her at 9am... around 9:30 I start to talk to her to get her wake up.. HELP..

My father is the same, I'd say it was quite normal. He gets woken for breakfast and pills, then he goes back to bed until lunchtime/midday, when he gets up and eats lunch before falling asleep in his chair for the afternoon.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Same with my dad, terrible to get up and he has all the answers. Why should he get up when he likes being in bed or it's more comfortable in bed and I shouldn't expect him to get up because he is old or he has been awake all night dreaming. I despair sometimes.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I seem to remember when my husband was still at home with me there was a time when we had a very slow start to the day.

He would stay in bed while I came on to Talking Point, on my computer, in the bedroom. Often it was 11am before we got dressed.

I remember thinking half the day had passed before we even had breakfast. It didn`t bother me because there was very little else we could do and there was companionable communication between us while he rested in bed and I was on the computer..

Sometimes it was the most relaxed and peaceful time of the day.

I suppose it is different for a paid caregiver who might feel the need to `earn their pay` by staying with a routine and providing some stimulation. I realise staying in bed too long can lead to muscle wastage but it`s all about compromise.

Going with the flow may be a cliche but sometimes it works.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Leticia.D

As the others have said this is a common problem with PWD. My dad had days like this. His carer's would go in and find him in bed at silly times of day - usually still fully dressed. He was so slow to do anything that his carer had to allow an extra 15 mins for the morning visit.

It must be very difficult when you have other clients to go to. Do you think changing the time of the visit to later would help?

I wouldn't worry if you've got her washed, dressed and fed. My dad didn't always go back to bed straight away - sometimes he just fell to sleep on the sofa!

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Same as @Bunpoots when I eventually get dad up and dressed at 11am or 1pm or occasionally later, he has his breakfast/lunch and promptly falls asleep in his chair.

TheMomof3

Jan 28, 2021
I'm in the same boat. My Aunt who is 65 has Alzheimer's with dementia and she just started refusing to get out of bed. I tried everything all she does is tells me no and to leave her alone to die. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it thank you.

spandit

Feb 11, 2020
My father is similar - since Christmas I think he's left his room 3 times. On some days his carers have started coming later as otherwise he's so tired an unresponsive. I think he's fighting yet another UTI which exhausts him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti