In hospital and care home refusing to take mum back

betsie

Jun 11, 2012
hi
My mum broke her hip in April after another resident pushed her over. She got delirium after the op and was a total nightmare. When she first went back to the home they couldn’t cope as she was awake all night and they let her sleep all day. We ended up in a&e 2 nights running where they found her on the floor. We ended up paying for an agency worker to sit with mum all day for 3 weeks to get her back sleeping. This worked and my happy mum returned. She had quite a few minor falls since then which have now resulted in a cracked pelvis. She is currently in hospital (didn’t have op but it is healing and she can walk with a zimmer) and was ready to be discharged. The care home she has been in for 3 1/2 yrs won’t take her back as she is too high risk for falls. She likes to walk about (a lot) but doesn’t remember to use her zimmer if not prompted.
She has been council funded for the last year (pays all her pensions to them).
Social services have agreed she needs a higher level of care and are doing another financial assessment ( I asked why as they take all her income so her savings are less now then when they did it the first time). They are then going to give me a list of homes but these could be anywhere in Kent.
Just wondered what our rights are as to where we place her? If they only give me homes miles away or the ones nearer are horrible, or I have very little choice and i don’t like any what can I do?
Sorry for the ramble and thanks in advance,

archiebald

Jan 12, 2016
hi
My mum broke her hip in April after another resident pushed her over. She got delirium after the op and was a total nightmare. When she first went back to the home they couldn’t cope as she was awake all night and they let her sleep all day. We ended up in a&e 2 nights running where they found her on the floor. We ended up paying for an agency worker to sit with mum all day for 3 weeks to get her back sleeping. This worked and my happy mum returned. She had quite a few minor falls since then which have now resulted in a cracked pelvis. She is currently in hospital (didn’t have op but it is healing and she can walk with a zimmer) and was ready to be discharged. The care home she has been in for 3 1/2 yrs won’t take her back as she is too high risk for falls. She likes to walk about (a lot) but doesn’t remember to use her zimmer if not prompted.
She has been council funded for the last year (pays all her pensions to them).
Social services have agreed she needs a higher level of care and are doing another financial assessment ( I asked why as they take all her income so her savings are less now then when they did it the first time). They are then going to give me a list of homes but these could be anywhere in Kent.
Just wondered what our rights are as to where we place her? If they only give me homes miles away or the ones nearer are horrible, or I have very little choice and i don’t like any what can I do?
Sorry for the ramble and thanks in advance,
Hi I dont know if things are same down south as in Scotland I was given a list of CH and ddnt like any of them but I went round CH,s here that I sourced myself for my mum in law who has now passed away and picked one told SW the one I wanted my mum in law to go to as long as it takes council funded it should be ok just google CH near you phone them and make appt to go visit they will tell you whats what ..hope you get it sorted . The CH your mum was in should have been able to look after her as falling is one of the most common accidents that occur everyday in a home they would be empty if they treated all their residents that way might be best she is moved is it just a Care Home or is it a Nursing Home ..you need a Nursing Home good luck

betsie

Jun 11, 2012
They said she doesn’t need nursing care just a higher dependency care home. I don’t know how I work out which ones are higher dependency though as it’s not obvious when you search online.
I think her care home have probably got a full private paying person on their waiting list for my mums room. It’s en-suite so they loosing money with her being in it as a council funded resident now.
She is also a wanderer and doesn’t just sit in a chair asleep all day.
Can I ask if they can force you to take one on the list they give you to get her out of the hospital?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I’m not certain about forcing you but I was given a list of nursing homes by the SW and found one near me which seems fine for the 4 weeks assessment on leaving hospital. The crunch will come at the end of the 4 weeks I expects.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
They said she doesn’t need nursing care just a higher dependency care home. I don’t know how I work out which ones are higher dependency though as it’s not obvious when you search online.
I think her care home have probably got a full private paying person on their waiting list for my mums room. It’s en-suite so they loosing money with her being in it as a council funded resident now.
She is also a wanderer and doesn’t just sit in a chair asleep all day.
Can I ask if they can force you to take one on the list they give you to get her out of the hospital?

You can't really tell by looking online, you have to select a few and call them and ask to speak to the manager. Describe the issues and see if she thinks your mother may fit in there, and then go and visit.

What your mother needs doesn't sound particularly high dependency, but clearly the current care home are not prepared to deal with it for whatever reason.

My mother has been in a dementia CH for over 18 months and in that time has had several falls (I have lost track how many). Three needed a hospital visit and two were the same as your mother - fractured pelvis and broken hip. The CH was absolutely fine about taking her back and rehabbing her. She won't using a walking frame either. They just say that she wants to be mobile, they want to encourage that, and while they do all they can to keep her safe they accept there is a risk of falls. The falls did seem to be a 'phase', she hasn't had one since last January (touch wood).

So what I'm saying is, I don't think your mother's needs are particularly unusual so you may not find it too difficult to find another care home in the area which will take her.

pevensey

Feb 14, 2012
South East Coast.
You can't really tell by looking online, you have to select a few and call them and ask to speak to the manager. Describe the issues and see if she thinks your mother may fit in there, and then go and visit.

What your mother needs doesn't sound particularly high dependency, but clearly the current care home are not prepared to deal with it for whatever reason.

My mother has been in a dementia CH for over 18 months and in that time has had several falls (I have lost track how many). Three needed a hospital visit and two were the same as your mother - fractured pelvis and broken hip. The CH was absolutely fine about taking her back and rehabbing her. She won't using a walking frame either. They just say that she wants to be mobile, they want to encourage that, and while they do all they can to keep her safe they accept there is a risk of falls. The falls did seem to be a 'phase', she hasn't had one since last January (touch wood).

So what I'm saying is, I don't think your mother's needs are particularly unusual so you may not find it too difficult to find another care home in the area which will take her.
Hi @Sirena, while your discussing mobility problems and falls, do you know if a PWD can be accepted or be seen by the LA to need a care home on that alone. My hubby has vascular dementia for nearly 4 yrs, this last 9 months hes got a lot worse, mainly his mobility, having falls, unable to go outside due to lack of mobility but also confusion,. Mainly the mobility though. Is this enough for me to think of care home, I'm really struggling even though we have beed married for 57 yrs

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
@pevensey I don't know the answer to that, but I am sure others will. My mother is self-funded so the LA did not have input.